talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best and Worst International Tournaments

Just now, Michael said:

I never mentioned Denmark. Why are you talking about what others may think in our conversation? lol

Sorry mate xD

But everytime I say Peru is a good side, the only argument I ever hear against that is "you didn't make it out of your group" and had assumed you were one of those. It does get tiring how easily our achievements get ignored and only pay attention to our failures.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

That could be a clue.

In 2010 they had a pretty tough group too with Portugal and Brazil. 2014 they had no excuse. Greece, Colombia and Japan. 

But to be frank, a side that good on paper should have been able to give the likes of Portugal, Brazil and Colombia a proper game. Which you could argue they might have in fairness.

I think they drew with Portugal and lost 3.0 to Brazil. Portugal beat north Korea 7.0 and went through on goal difference I think. To be fair senegal were abit unlucky in the last world cup going out on yellow cards.

Portugal and Spain squeezed past through Morocco and Iran who gave them a run for their money.

France didn't even impress against Australia was a dodgy 2-1 win

There isn't really any expectational European side right now either. Belgium even almost lost to Japan and was really poor against Tunisia defensively what was the scoreline like 5-3

8 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Sorry mate xD

But everytime I say Peru is a good side, the only argument I ever hear against that is "you didn't make it out of your group" and had assumed you were one of those. It does get tiring how easily our achievements get ignored and only pay attention to our failures.

Depends on what you say is a good side. I think Peru are a top 20 side at best. Which is still very good when you think about it I suppose.

Just now, Azeem said:

Portugal and Spain squeezed past through Morocco and Iran who gave them a run for their money.

There isn't really any expectational European side right now either. Belgium even almost lost to Japan and was really poor against Tunisia defensively what was the scoreline like 5-3

While true, they are still better than the rest of the world. Only Brazil I can see compete for the 2022 World Cup outside of Europe.

There could be a shock semi-finalist like there always is but actually win the World Cup, it will be either Europe or Brazil.

1 minute ago, Azeem said:

To be honest there normally aren't exceptional international teams. It's very rare that a lot of world class players all play for the same team. Spain was probably the last team that had a lot of world class players.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

While true, they are still better than the rest of the world. Only Brazil I can see compete for the 2022 World Cup outside of Europe.

There could be a shock semi-finalist like there always is but actually win the World Cup, it will be either Europe or Brazil.

Sure football in my opinion will always be European dominant sport but about the discussion right now it wouldn't be surprise to me if any big European team loses to a small team outside Europe 

Sure football in my opinion will always be European dominant sport but about the discussion right now it wouldn't be surprise to me if any big European team loses to a small team outside Europe 

That's kind of what I meant when I said Venezuela and Paraguay are good enough to give anyone a game.

They aren't great sides obviously but I don't believe they are bad enough for it to be impossible. Football is always full of shocks. Anyways, I think in 2022 an Asian side will go to at least quarter finals.

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be honest there normally aren't exceptional international teams. It's very rare that a lot of world class players all play for the same team. Spain was probably the last team that had a lot of world class players.

In 2006 as earlier said Ivory Coast was great team so were Iran, Japan and Australia were at their best in recent times as well but they couldn't stand a chance against those European teams but right now it's not that odd to see them win. 

In 2006 as earlier said Ivory Coast was great team so were Iran, Japan and Australia were at their best in recent times as well but they couldn't stand a chance against those European teams but right now it's not that odd to see them win. 

To be fair Australia actually got out of their group in the 2006 world cup and only lost to a last minute controversial penalty against Italy who went on to win it. Japan had a good team in 2010. Got to the last 16. Ivory coast like we said earlier had some tough groups when that team was in its prime.

7 minutes ago, Azeem said:

"expectational", I think you mean "exceptional".  You have to also realise that the level of football has risen amongst the best teams in continents such as North America, Africa and Asia. So the top European sides are less frequently destroying the top sides from those continents.

Teams are now much more fitter and well organised, so the European sides are finding it harder to break teams down. In your examples, Morocco did play some very attractive football, but sides like Australia and Iran largely parked the bus. A 2-1 for France is almost as good as a 5-1 win, they are both 3 points in the bag at the end of the day. Furthermore, for international tournaments such as the World Cup, I'd say that preparation and the success of training camps are key factors in helping to attain success.

I personally have no problem with teams that park the bus against a stronger team, teams should play to their strengths.

It's like trying to KO an opponent in boxing that you have no chance against just to put up a show in doing so getting KO yourself.

For best I think World Cup 1998 and Euro 2008 are comfortably my top two. After that, World Cup 2002 and 2006. 

Worst is difficult because any footy during the summer is sound but Euro 2016 with the new format was shit. Portugal qualifying for the knockouts without winning a single game in the groups

Archived