talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Feeder Leagues In The Last Decade

football forum

Basically any league that exports players to one of the top 5 in Europe.

Here are my candidates

MLS

Alphonso Davies - 26M to Bayern

Miguel Almiron - 24M to Newcastle

Tyler Adams - 2.6M to RB Leipzig

Zack Steffen - 7.5M to Manchester City

Jack Harrison - 4.4M to Manchester City

Austrian Bundesliga

Dario Maresic - 3.3M to Reims

Mert Muldur - 4.3M to Sassuolo

Erling Haaland - 22M to Borussia Dortmund

Hannes Wolf - 13M to RB Leipzig

Takumi Minamino - 9.3M to Liverpool

Valentino Lazaro - 11.5M to Hertha Berlin

Konrad Laimer - 7.7M to RB Leipzig

Olarenwaju Kayode - 4.18M to Manchester City

Naby Keita - 32M to RB Leipzig

Dayot Upamecano - 11M to RB Leipzig

Eredivisie

Luis Suarez - 25M to Liverpool

Mathijs de Ligt - 94M to Juventus

Frenkie De Jong - 82M to Barcelona

Hirving Lozano - 44M to Napoli

Steve Bergwijn - 33M to Tottenham Hotspur

Alireza Jahanbakhsh - 20M to Brighton

Justin Kluivert - 19M to Roma

Santiago Arias - 12M to Atletico Madrid

Terrence Kongolo - 16M to Monaco

Davinson Sanchez - 44M to Ajax

Vincent Janssen - 24M to Tottenham Hotspur

Dries Mertens - 9.4M to Napoli

Belgian Pro-League

Kevin de Bruyne - 8M to Chelsea

Kalidou Koulibaly - 7M to Napoli

Mbwana Samatta - 10M to Aston Villa

Moussa Djenepo - 15M to Southampton

Wilfred Ndidi - 17M to Leicester City

Leander Dendocker - 13M to Wolverhampton Wanderers

Victor Oshimen - 12M to LOSC Lille

Moussa Wague - 5M to Barcelona

Youri Tielemans - 25M to Monaco

Thibaut Courtois - 8M to Chelsea

Romelu Lukaku - 15M to Chelsea

Portuguese League

Joao Felix - 108M to Atletico Madrid

Bruno Fernandes - 55M to Manchester United

Eder Militao - 50M to Real Madrid

James Rodriguez - 45M to Monaco

Joao Mario - 45M to Inter Milan

Falcao - 40M to Atletico Madrid

Nelson Semedo - 35M to Barcelona

Victor Lindelof - 35M to Manchester United

Fabio Coentrao - 30M to Real Madrid

Brazilian Serie A

Neymar - 80M to FC Barcelona

Rodrygo Goes - 45M to Real Madrid

Vinicius Jr - 45M to Real madrid

Lucas Moura - 40M to PSG

Gabriel Jesus - 38M to Manchester City

Renan Lodi - 20M to Atletico Madrid

Bruno Guimaraes - 20M to Olympique Lyonnais

Yerry Mina - 8M to FC Barcelona

Charles Aranguiz - 13M to Bayer Leverkusen

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tipping it to the Pro-League.

The Eredivisie and Liga NOS have exported better players but they are no long "bargain central" if you get me. You can get players of similar quality in Belgium for much cheaper.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Austrian Bundesliga

Dario Maresic - 3.3M to Reims

Mert Muldur - 4.3M to Sassuolo

Erling Haaland - 22M to Borussia Dortmund

Hannes Wolf - 13M to RB Leipzig

Takumi Minamino - 9.3M to Liverpool

Valentino Lazaro - 11.5M to Hertha Berlin

Konrad Laimer - 7.7M to RB Leipzig

Olarenwaju Kayode - 4.18M to Manchester City

Naby Keita - 32M to RB Leipzig

Dayot Upamecano - 11M to RB Leipzig

A few other bigger ones that are missing:

Sadio Mane - 23M to Southampton

Duje Caleta-Car - 19M to Marseille

Amadou Haidara - 19M to RB Leipzig

Munas Dabbur - 17M to Sevilla

Xaver Schlager - 15M to Wolfsburg

Stefan Lainer - 12M to Gladbach

Diade Samassekou - 12M to Hoffenheim

Kevin Kampl - 12M to BVB

Martin Hinteregger - 10M to Augsburg

Just now, nudge said:

A few other bigger ones that are missing:

Sadio Mane - 23M to Southampton

Duje Caleta-Car - 19M to Marseille

Amadou Haidara - 19M to RB Leipzig

Munas Dabbur - 17M to Sevilla

Xaver Schlager - 15M to Wolfsburg

Stefan Lainer - 12M to Gladbach

Diade Samassekou - 12M to Hoffenheim

Kevin Kampl - 12M to BVB

Martin Hinteregger - 10M to Augsburg

I couldn't include everyone, but Mane is one that slipped my mind entirely. If I had remembered, he would have been there for sure.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Swiss league as well? Basel, from memory, have produced some decent players... 

Shaqiri, Rakitic, Sommer, Granit Xhaka, Derdiyok...? 

Good call. Also Salah, Embolo, Akanji, Elyounoussi, Caicedo (all Basel), Zakaria (Young Boys), Ricardo Rodriguez (Zürich). Basel's academy and youth development is insane.

The Austrian and Swiss leagues show there is great hidden talent to be had rather than pay through the nose in your own country.

Something I wanted to just pick up on though.

Is Ligue 1 in the same bracket as the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga? I think its been on the decline for years and PSG are single handedly keeping it afloat thanks to their oil money.

Anyway, not to digress, but the point I was getting at is that league must arguably be the most popular in being a feeder league to the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga given the sheer quantity of French players spread across Europe.

Probably ridiculous figures.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The Austrian and Swiss leagues show there is great hidden talent to be had rather than pay through the nose in your own country.

Is Ligue 1 in the same bracket as the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga? I think its been on the decline for years and PSG are single handedly keeping it afloat thanks to their oil money.

Anyway, not to digress, but the point I was getting at is that league must arguably be the most popular in being a feeder league to the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga given the sheer quantity of French players spread across Europe.

Yeah, I was considering in adding France to that list, but the leagues are seen as the "top 5 in Europe" not the "top 4". Your point is extremely valid though nevertheless.

36 minutes ago, Lucas said:

French football has certainly been on the decline for years. And in most ways it could be considered a 'feeder' league. 

Lyon themselves have been arguably the 2nd best team in France over the past decade, yet they keep losing their best players...and the players they are losing end up being massive stars elsewhere. I'm constantly amazed about talent that Lyon seems to get young, and then sell high. Their scouting is absolutely world class. 

And I would say that the Bundesliga (outside of Bayern) even appears rather 'feeder-ish', and I felt this way since we saw a childhood fans of Dortmund leave for Bayern (Gotze), and while their may be more to that transfer than originally thought, but it does feel like the major clubs just cycle through players like dirty underwear while the rest of the world catches up. 

We certainly have some outliers, that seem to perform on the world stage with more of a controlled budget, but really with the money involved, it's really down to maybe a dozen teams in Europe that can compete internationally. 

29 minutes ago, Eco said:

And I would say that the Bundesliga (outside of Bayern) even appears rather 'feeder-ish', and I felt this way since we saw a childhood fans of Dortmund leave for Bayern (Gotze), and while their may be more to that transfer than originally thought, but it does feel like the major clubs just cycle through players like dirty underwear while the rest of the world catches up. 

We certainly have some outliers, that seem to perform on the world stage with more of a controlled budget, but really with the money involved, it's really down to maybe a dozen teams in Europe that can compete internationally. 

To be honest most premier League clubs are feeder clubs to bigger clubs. It's only really Chelsea, city and utd that aren't

2 hours ago, Eco said:

By the same token every league is a feeder league then

5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s incredibly sad that any league is deemed a “feeder” but it’s the way Football has gone due to the advent of the Champions League. 

It was always the case. If it weren't, there really wouldn't be much movement between nations. It isn't something new thanks to the Champions League.

40 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The BundesLiga definitely isn't a feeder league, it is just shit outside of three or four clubs that somehow end up with all the best German players. It just so happens the best German players tend to be very fucking good. @Eco

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

43 minutes ago, Spike said:

The BundesLiga definitely isn't a feeder league, it is just shit outside of three or four clubs that somehow end up with all the best German players. It just so happens the best German players tend to be very fucking good. @Eco

Fair enough, I was just reading through this and thought of Gotez, but you're likely right DDW, every league is a feeder is you use my thought process. xD

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Fair enough, I was just reading through this and thought of Gotez, but you're likely right DDW, every league is a feeder is you use my thought process. xD

Never listen to the "Boyhood club" Bullshit. 

Apparently everyone had Dortmund as their boyhood club, Sahin, Gotze, Tommy. Where are they now?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

It was always the case. If it weren't, there really wouldn't be much movement between nations. It isn't something new thanks to the Champions League.

Not entirely sure I agree with this. Before the Bosman ruling in the 1990's(and the creation of the EU) there was perfect balance and if you were a good nation at football, chances are you had good clubs too. Malmo reached the Champions League final. Fucking Malmo. 

The EU was formed in 1993 years in the making but it wasn't until the Bosman lawsuit that UEFA allowed free movement between nations in football.

1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Not entirely sure I agree with this. Before the Bosman ruling in the 1990's(and the creation of the EU) there was perfect balance and if you were a good nation at football, chances are you had good clubs too. Malmo reached the Champions League final. Fucking Malmo. 

The EU was formed in 1993 years in the making but it wasn't until the Bosman lawsuit that UEFA allowed free movement between nations in football.

There were still stronger leagues. The English league was strong when England were shit. But it wasn't like it was now. The champions League had played a big part in making the strong leagues stronger and the weak leagues weaker.  

2 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

There would be no incentive for players from South America to travel to Europe in that case.

Why would the three Swedish players of AC MIlan leave Sweden?

Just now, Spike said:

There would be no incentive for players from South America to travel to Europe in that case.

Why would the three Swedish players of AC MIlan leave Sweden?

Well, South American football was the best back then for a reason. It's true a lot of South Americans went to Europe. Peru during our golden generation had a lot of players go to clubs like Porto, Barcelona, Cagliari, Milan, etc. Even as far back as the 1960's. For the most part though, it wasn't until the 1980's where it became more common practice. Ozzie Ardiles was the first example that changed things a lot.

And as for Europe, since the EU wasn't a thing, the limit was very strict. Obviously the biggest footballing nations were still the best but you'd get CL winners like Ajax, PSV, Steaua, etc. Teams you'd not expect to see win the tournament today/

Just now, Inti Brian said:

Well, South American football was the best back then for a reason. It's true a lot of South Americans went to Europe. Peru during our golden generation had a lot of players go to clubs like Porto, Barcelona, Cagliari, Milan, etc. Even as far back as the 1960's. For the most part though, it wasn't until the 1980's where it became more common practice. Ozzie Ardiles was the first example that changed things a lot.

And as for Europe, since the EU wasn't a thing, the limit was very strict. Obviously the biggest footballing nations were still the best but you'd get CL winners like Ajax, PSV, Steaua, etc. Teams you'd not expect to see win the tournament today/

If it was the best they wouldn't leave.

Archived