talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League & Europa League Resumption Plans

football forum

It has been reported that the rest of the Champions League matches this season will be played during August in the Portuguese capital Lisbon. After the remaining last 16 second leg matches are played, the quarter finals and semi finals will all be played in a single leg format. The final will also take place in Lisbon on the 23rd of August.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11945/12007446/champions-league-restart-lisbon-to-host-condensed-12-day-final-stages

• The title was changed to Champions League To Resume In Lisbon in August
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

1 leg games would be interesting to be fair. Literally anyone can win in one game, over 2 it's a lot more difficult.

Yes, over two legs, the better side usually goes through. Over one leg, one team could get unpredictably lucky and win.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Champions League & Europa League Resumption Plans
  • Administrator

2nd legs in both competitions to be played at home ground (apart from Inter vs Getafe & Sevilla vs Roma).

Europa League (after the 2nd legs) to be played in Germany.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53355787

Manchester City's Champions League last-16 second leg against Real Madrid will be played at Etihad Stadium.

Governing body Uefa has confirmed all outstanding second-leg ties in the Champions League and Europa League will be held at the home teams' stadiums behind closed doors.

City host Real on either 7 or 8 August, while Chelsea face Bayern Munich away.

In the Europa League, Wolves will host Olympiakos and Manchester United will welcome LASK on 5 or 6 August.

Both competitions were suspended in March because of the coronavirus pandemic, after the majority of first legs had been played.

City lead Real 2-1 after the first leg, Chelsea are 3-0 down to Bayern, Manchester United are 5-0 up on LASK and Wolves are level at 1-1 having scored an away goal in Greece. Rangers will travel to Germany 3-1 down on Bayer Leverkusen.

Inter Milan against Getafe and Sevilla against Roma will both be played as single-leg ties in Germany after the coronavirus situation in Italy and Spain in March resulted in both first legs being called off.

Uefa also confirmed that the 'final eight' tournaments for both competitions will be held without spectators present.

The Champions League quarter-finals, semi-finals and final will all be held in Lisbon from 12 to 23 August.

The last three rounds of the Europa League will be held in cities across Germany, with the final in Cologne on 21 August, having been moved from Gdasnk in Poland.

The draw for both tournaments takes place from 11:00 BST on Friday.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Napoli manage to take down Barca. I know the home leg ended poorly for us but we're in good form and Barca are at their worst in years.

I can't see us win against Bayern after that though. I agree with the opinion that they are the best team this 2020. Most coherent and consistent side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
42 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Surely they could have split the Champions League Last 16 games into an early and late game instead of playing them at the same time? Had no problems doing so when fans were at the games, but not now?!

Yeah that's an odd one. Would have got plenty more viewers which I thought was why they moved it in the first place to 2 different kick offs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does anyone else think it doesn’t really feel like the champions league with the one-off format?

I’m going to call it the Covid Cup & the Europa League will be called the Shitty Covid Cup.

It's definitely odd. I wonder if this would be the way forward though? Maybe UEFA will consider it for next season because of the scheduling having to be crammed in. 

On 13/08/2020 at 12:59, Stan said:

It's definitely odd. I wonder if this would be the way forward though? Maybe UEFA will consider it for next season because of the scheduling having to be crammed in. 

No way will UEFA want this any longer than the current season. They want more and more games televised, not less.

Archived