talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bournemouth 0-2 Crystal Palace - Saturday 20th June, 2020

football forum

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

If you could swap Villa for Watford or Brighton, it would be a perfect bottom three to drop. 

Personally I'd rather see West ham and villa go down. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

No denying he's good for teams of a certain level. Probably gets the best out of largely average players. Also makes good players look average as well though

Yeah I'd go along with that. Although to be fair 2014 was a tough group. Like is said I thought he was let down badly by his players against Iceland. No doubt he made mistakes but that was no excuse for the players putting in that performance

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Strange that it never worked out for Hodson  with England. He is clearly a good manager. Although I do feel he was let down by his players against Iceland.

He’s always done pretty well when expectations are pretty low, both at club level and international sides as well. It’s when he’s at a big club or England that he suddenly looks out of his depth.

• The topic was unpinned
On 20/06/2020 at 20:21, LFCMadLad said:

Or at Liverpool. He is a manager that is good at a club that has no ambition. Put him in charge of a team with ambitions to win stuff and he turns into a turtle. 

I thought Hicks and Gillet lacked ambition ^_^

Another good performance from us to continue what's been a good season. Solid in defence, battling in midfield and took the opportunities we needed too. Very good time to be a Palace fan at the minute.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I thought Hicks and Gillet lacked ambition 

Did they fuck. They had massive ambitions of milking everything they could from our club. They then sacked a manager who had a voice. 

Roy is a decent manager, nothing more in my opinion.

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I thought Hicks and Gillet lacked ambition ^_^

I think they were just delusional, tbh. They were expecting us to be in the CL, but they also wanted a yes man who wouldn't be put pressure on the board to make expensive signings he wanted to build the team in his vision.

Comparing him at Liverpool, Inter, and Blackburn (when they were the richest club in England) to... pretty much anywhere else he's ever been... it's 3 clubs where he's been a disappointment... and then the rest of his career is pretty much a success story. I don't know what it is, but his tactics really just tend to fit some clubs more than others. His time at Fulham he had them playing great football, but his tactics with us (and with England) were so far from that.

There's probably smarter people who are better at football analysis that can explain why exactly his success has never translated over to bigger clubs. For me it's just an interesting observation.

Archived