talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should Buffon Win The Ballon D'or

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you meant Gianluigi Buffon mate and not Jenson Button xD

In my opinion no because I already complained about how Cristiano Ronaldo won it last year and if I said yes then all the reasons I put would be for nothing and biassed.

There is only one winner for the next Ballon d'Or which is an individual award for the best individual throughout the year...  Right now there is only one player head and shoulders above every other.  You can't award this for what the collective have achieved and when you've been good (sort of) for three games all year.

There's no doubt Buffon is one of the best goalkeeper to have played the beautiful game. He's been so strong this season in the league and in the Champions League we've been treated to some equally outstanding performances. For a man fast approaching a milestone in his life he's shining far above the rest and proving that age is just a number.

Lev Yashin is the only keeper to have won the award. I feel it's time for Buffon to get it.

I feel it'll be closely contested with Messi. He's had a brilliant season too and D'or tends to favour goalscorers. Fingers crossed he'll be beaten just this once.

Juve have been totally a collective success this season and nobody's stood out as the all inspiring individual.  If anything the in quarters and the semis of the Champions League the star man was Dani Alves who seems to have rejuvenated himself.  But you can't win an award that consists of 12 months on the fact you were very good in three or four games when a season with a club playing in all competitions can reach anything upto 70 odd games.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Really?

When?

Why?

2006 for one. Cannavaro won based on his outstanding WC performance, whereas Buffon was legend in the WC and in League Play that year.

He probably won't though, as it seems only Ronaldo or Messi can win it anymore. If it were up to me, I'd switch it up this year and give it to someone else, and someone like Buffon (especially if they do the treble), is beyond deserving of this award. Just because he doesn't score goals doesn't mean he's not the greatest player.

2 hours ago, ATL said:

2006 for one. Cannavaro won based on his outstanding WC performance, whereas Buffon was legend in the WC and in League Play that year.

He probably won't though, as it seems only Ronaldo or Messi can win it anymore. If it were up to me, I'd switch it up this year and give it to someone else, and someone like Buffon (especially if they do the treble), is beyond deserving of this award. Just because he doesn't score goals doesn't mean he's not the greatest player.

Mate, I have no problem whatsoever in Buffon getting the award for all the reasons stated and the fact he's also a model character within the sport which for me is also important. But he hasn't done anything to merit it this year above others that can be named. I don't see the collective victories as a reason to award someone an individual award. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

If they win the treble Buffon should most definitely be a shoe in. 

Considering if Juve do win the Champions League, the entire limelight will be around Gigi

This. If Juve when the treble, you have to give it to their captain and leader.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

If they win the treble Buffon should most definitely be a shoe in. 

Considering if Juve do win the Champions League, the entire limelight will be around Gigi

Or Ronaldo will win it for scoring more goals. Just like Neuer should have been in 2014.

Personally I think Bonucci should win it but that's just me.

5 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Or Ronaldo will win it for scoring more goals. Just like Neuer should have been in 2014.

Personally I think Bonucci should win it but that's just me.

rckstr.gif

How many saves does he have to make a game? Not that many, because Juve's defence is beyond ridiculous. He may be the best GK in the world but the way Juve is set up Gigi is not an irreplaceable option. The Balon d'Or should be given to the individual that brings their team to the next level. 

Look at Barcelona and Juventus. Barca consistently look far more lost without Andres Iniesta than Juve does without Buffon. Their roles are incomparable but the fact remains that Barcelona is crippled without Iniesta but the same isn't the same for Juve. Who is the better player? That cannot be decided as one is a midfielder and one is a goalkeeper, it's the same for any playesr that occupy entirely different roles. What can be decided is which player is more instrumental to the team's success.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

How many saves does he have to make a game? Not that many, because Juve's defence is beyond ridiculous. He may be the best GK in the world but the way Juve is set up Gigi is not an irreplaceable option. The Balon d'Or should be given to the individual that brings their team to the next level. 

Look at Barcelona and Juventus. Barca consistently look far more lost without Andres Iniesta than Juve does without Buffon. Their roles are incomparable but the fact remains that Barcelona is crippled without Iniesta but the same isn't the same for Juve. Who is the better player? That cannot be decided as one is a midfielder and one is a goalkeeper, it's the same for any playesr that occupy entirely different roles. What can be decided is which player is more instrumental to the team's success.

This. Not only that but Buffon has been more prone to howlers in the league. As I said I think Bonucci deserves it if anyone on Juve. The whole backline has been important but the stand out has been Bonucci to me.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's great,, but not impenetrable.

Barca and Monaco both created enough chances where they could of gotten something out of each tie, The Iniesta chance springs instantly into mind as well as Falcao's missed chances both legs. 

Just now, Cicero said:

It's great,, but not impenetrable.

Barca and Monaco both created enough chances where they could of gotten something out of each tie, The Iniesta chance springs instantly into mind as well as Falcao's missed chances both legs. 

A miss isn't a save! 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The Iniesta chance and Falcao chances were both denied by incredible saves

Two incredible saves aren't enough for the best player in the world. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Two incredible saves aren't enough for the best player in the world. 

*three, and those were just off the top of my head. This idea that Juve has some brick wall of a defence holds some truth but any top quality side will create chances, which both Barca and Monaco did plenty of and were both shut out by Buffon. 

The award hasn't held it's value for a long time now. If Juve do win the title I still believe the limelight will be shifted towards Buffon, and that would be a breath of fresh air. 

Archived