talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should Buffon Win The Ballon D'or

1 hour ago, ATL said:

This. If Juve when the treble, you have to give it to their captain and leader.

No...  The Ballon d'Or is for the best player in the world during 12 months.  That's what it says on the tin and that's the way it should be.  The fact you want him to get it (as I even do), it doesn't make it right.  But then again this has happened in the past (a number of times) and I wouldn't say it can't happen again.  He hasn't even been the best Juventus player this season let alone the best player in the world.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

No...  The Ballon d'Or is for the best player in the world during 12 months.  That's what it says on the tin and that's the way it should be.  The fact you want him to get it (as I even do), it doesn't make it right.  But then again this has happened in the past (a number of times) and I wouldn't say it can't happen again.  He hasn't even been the best Juventus player this season let alone the best player in the world.

But who else wins it? Surely not Messi or Ronaldo. If you go for Juventus, you really just have a hand full of people, but all have dings against them. If you have watched Juventus all year, I think it's very acceptable to give it to the heart and soul of arguably the best team in the world.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Do you think Messi should win it? I think is quiet performances in the knockout rounds of the Champions League work against him.

I think Messi does deserve it overall on what I've been subjected to  during the year so far (remember there's still a long way to go in this). But that's by the by in the context of the best player in the world for 2017. This is a collective team sport and you can't punish an individual for collective deficiencies...

Aside from that, what I'm most against is a footballer having three or four good games in a season and getting awarded for it. For example where Juventus is concerned if we want to go down that route, tell me why Buffon has been more important than Gonzalo Higuaín this season? Remember that they're also playing their domestic competition where he's been fundamental to that cause. But then again some are calling for goals to be ignored in a sense which I'm all for... Dani Alves? Well France Football (the awarders of the Ballon d'Or have called last week Cristiano Ronaldo as the optimum candidate because of three games in said tournament), he's as good a candidate under that type of judgement.  

35 minutes ago, ATL said:

But who else wins it? Surely not Messi or Ronaldo. If you go for Juventus, you really just have a hand full of people, but all have dings against them. If you have watched Juventus all year, I think it's very acceptable to give it to the heart and soul of arguably the best team in the world.

Buffon hasn't been the best player in the world this year (so far... remember there are 7 months remaining for the judging on 12 months). This is the typical rubbish fans get drawn into these days and I get the hunger for a character such as Gianluigi Buffon to be named as the Ballon d'Or winner because of the monopoly of the other two. Believe me I want to see an end to that stuff too, but it hasn't ended and for me Cristiano Ronaldo has actually had his worst season in over a decade whereas Messi has been tremendous this year (so far) and actually carried his side most of the way.

But forget Messi and Cristiano... Is Buffon really the best player this year in the whole world? Come on! xD Give me a break. Although as far as I'm concerned I won't complain if he gets it because he's a brilliant character in the world of football but nowhere near the best and most fundamental footballer for his club and country this year so far. 

38 minutes ago, ATL said:

Also take this into consideration... Right now Juve have only won Serie 'A' and they could lose against both Lazio and Real in each respective competition.

Forgetting that... I don't subscribe to the fact the best player has to have played in the winning team. The Ballon d'Or is an individual award, not a collective one. 

5 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Just like Julio Cesar was a shoe in when inter won the treble? No losses at home that season, Goals Allow was very low just like Buffons? 

And the save that rattle Lionel for the rest of the CL. 

4 games 0 goals by messi against julio cesar, if my memory serves me right, he was benched the second group game vs them (which Barcelona won) semifinals: messi had score 4 goals vs Arsenal and once again he was denied by Julio Cesar both times(inter played without Thiago silva the second leg, he got redcarded very early. 

That same season, julio cesar held ac milan scoreless and chivu was redcarded in the 28th minute. JC had a last minute penalty save vs Ronaldinho

JC probably had a much better season IMO and yet he didnt win it, why should buffon win it this year. 

Because Sneijder was easily Inter's and the Netherlands most influential player that season? 

Like I said, the Balon D'or has lost it's value and now only gives it to the player that wins the most trophies. Ronaldo winning it back in December is a prime example of it when two or three players performed better than him that year.

And if Juve wins the treble, considering the whole 'Buffon wins his first CL title and treble' limelight will be in major effect,  I can see him being a shoe in due to how the balon d'or is awarded now. 

As romantic and great as it would be if this were to happen, there is only one man that has been in a stratosphere of his own this entire year, levels above the rest and he should be the man to win it.

If for whatever reason that does not happen, and let's say Juventus win the treble, then if a Juve player were to win it, in my opinion it honestly should be Dani Alves. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Also take this into consideration... Right now Juve have only won Serie 'A' and they could lose against both Lazio and Real in each respective competition.

Forgetting that... I don't subscribe to the fact the best player has to have played in the winning team. The Ballon d'Or is an individual award, not a collective one. 

I'd rather pick a player that has played ten times in a year and has elevated a mediocre team to an elite team over someone that has performed well thirty times for an elite team. It's hard to pick that out these days though, as the talent is so entrenched in Europe's elite that any 'smaller' clubs knocking about with elite players. Look at Fiorentina in the 90s, they didn't achieve that much but they still had Rui Costa and Gabriel Batistuta, two players that defined an entire decade.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Look at Fiorentina in the 90s, they didn't achieve that much but they still had Rui Costa and Gabriel Batistuta, two players that defined an entire decade.

Exactly!

It's been a long while since the award has been given adequately.  Although in saying this I don't want to take anything away from the duo that have dominated it in the past decade which have been extraordinary.  Although both have had award gifted to them when they shouldn't have won them.  To prove where football has gone, the last World Cup had FIFA gifting the MVP award to Lionel Messi who asked why it was awarded to him and gave it away down the tunnel.  He doesn't even have it in his collection of awards and has ignored it.  It's the way football has gone now.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Exactly!

It's been a long while since the award has been given adequately.  Although in saying this I don't want to take anything away from the duo that have dominated it in the past decade which have been extraordinary.  Although both have had award gifted to them when they shouldn't have won them.  To prove where football has gone, the last World Cup had FIFA gifting the MVP award to Lionel Messi who asked why it was awarded to him and gave it away down the tunnel.  He doesn't even have it in his collection of awards and has ignored it.  It's the way football has gone now.

If it were up to this bloke the the last seven awards would look like this.

2010 - Diego Milito

2011 - Andres Iniesta

2012 - Lionel Messi

2013 - Lionel Messi

2014 - Diego Godin

2015 - Antoine Griezmann

2016 - Cristiano Ronaldo

Listen, is Buffon is best player in the world? No. Is he the best player on Juventus? No.

Both of those are due to age, and I've already said that Buffon should have already had this award, but instead it was given to Cannavaro due to his WC play alone.

Alves is not the best player in the world, but damn has he played well the last 4 Juvenuts CL Matches.

To be, the best player in the world is Lewandowski or Neymar.

Just now, Spike said:

If it were up to this bloke the the last seven awards would look like this.

2010 - Diego Milito

2011 - Andres Iniesta

2012 - Lionel Messi

2013 - Lionel Messi

2014 - Diego Godin

2015 - Antoine Griezmann

2016 - Cristiano Ronaldo

2016 is completely strange as is 2010 in my view who in front of Milito should be Sneijder.

This is completely subjective and I can't disagree with anyone anting to look further within it all like you've just done.  But this is about the best player in the world! For me that isn't difficult to be honest.

2016 is completely strange as is 2010 in my view who in front of Milito should be Sneijder.

This is completely subjective and I can't disagree with anyone anting to look further within it all like you've just done.  But this is about the best player in the world! For me that isn't difficult to be honest.

So you agree Freddy Adu is the GOAT? xD

Eh, Milito's goals were instrumental for Inter in all the competitions. He scored in all the big games and won them a historic treble. Sneijder wasn't as instrumental for Inter but he bossed the World Cup tremendously, it's was a 50/50 but ultimately I weighted Inter's treble above Hollands' second place.

2016, well it was Cristiano's best season. His performances for Real and Portugal snagged a CL and European cup. He wasn't a one-man winning machine with Portugal but they wouldn't have even made the tournament without him. His influence was beyond a doubt the most important in world football that year. Maybe I put too much stock into international football but snagging a 1st Euros is something worth a Balon d'Or.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Eh, Milito's goals were instrumental for Inter in all the competitions. He scored in all the big games and won them a historic treble. Sneijder wasn't as instrumental for Inter but he bossed the World Cup tremendously, it's was a 50/50 but ultimately I weighted Inter's treble above Hollands' second place.

2016, well it was Cristiano's best season. His performances for Real and Portugal snagged a CL and European cup. He wasn't a one-man winning machine with Portugal but they wouldn't have even made the tournament without him. His influence was beyond a doubt the most important in world football that year. Maybe I put too much stock into international football but snagging a 1st Euros is something worth a Balon d'Or.

His performances for Portugal in the European Championships were very mediocre unless you rate what he did from the sidelines after he got injured in the final. For Real Madrid he wasn't the dominating factor and infact in the final if push comes to shove, Ramos should be considered because he's the one that's won them the last two Champions Leagues.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

His performances for Portugal in `the European Championships were very mediocre unless you rate what he did from the sidelines after he got injured in the final. For Real Madrid he wasn't the dominating factor and infact in the final if push comes to shove, Ramos should be considered because he's the one that's won them the last two Champions Leagues.

That's just the final though. The competition goes beyond that. The Euros he was good, he didn't play to a level that people expect (very few do, Ronaldo, Platini, Sneijder, are historic examples of players reaching full potential for internationals) but he scored very important goals for Portugal. He performed about as well as his 'rival' did during his equivalent tournament... That isn't meant to be a comparison per se but rather an illustration that international play is different to what we see at club level.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

That's just the final though. The competition goes beyond that. The Euros he was good, he didn't play to a level that people expect (very few do, Ronaldo, Platini, Sneijder, are historic examples of players reaching full potential for internationals) but he scored very important goals for Portugal. He performed about as well as his 'rival' did during his equivalent tournament... That isn't meant to be a comparison per se but rather an illustration that international play is different to what we see at club level.

So under that rule why didn't David Villa win it in 2008?

The whole thing has become rubbish.  But it has a history of being like that when you consider Maradona was never named World Player of the Year.

No. Even though winning this doesn't mean much it exists as an award for the best player of the year. It's like having a "Woman of the year" award and then giving it to a man... :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

So under that rule why didn't David Villa win it in 2008?

The whole thing has become rubbish.  But it has a history of being like that when you consider Maradona was never named World Player of the Year.

Perhaps he should have. The man was an absolutely lethal striker.

No, it shouldn't be given to a player strictly due to sentimental reasons. It should go to the best individual performer of the year, regardless of what their team have or haven't won and should certainly not be given to a player on the basis that they are a legend and haven't won it before.

Archived