talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dame Vera Lynn Dies Aged 103

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.6d5d63d030d64fa58a0f9ca9e65bb7d2.png

God bless her, we had her LP years ago and my mum & dad would play it all the time, they said "Her voice kept us going all through the dark years of WWII"

R.I.P. Dame Vera, all of the world thoughts go out to you and "We will meet again some sunny day"  

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2020-06-18/vera-lynn-dead-dies-well-meet-again/

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Dame Vera Lynn Dies Aged 103

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I had no idea who she was, but I just read her profile and now feel like a fool. I'm even a Pink Floyd fan, and have heard the song about her, but have never bothered to look her up. 

Would have loved to sit down and talk with you and just hear her stories, though. 

RIP. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

God bless her, we had her LP years ago and my mum & dad would play it all the time, they said "Her voice kept us going all through the dark years of WWII"

R.I.P. Dame Vera, all of the world thoughts go out to you and "We will meet again some sunny day"  

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2020-06-18/vera-lynn-dead-dies-well-meet-again/

The anthem of hope. Don't think there are any other songs that capture it as well.

I think I first heard it in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, and it blew me away completely. One of the best movie endings ever.

Vera was part of my childhood - going to sleep before and during the air raids with her songs 'Up The Wooden Hill To Bedfordshire' and 'Little Man You've Had A Busy Day'.  As for 'If Only I Had Wings' it shows the level of ignorance and incompetence in the modern researchers that they cannot even get the title correct when they are re-writing history.  I remember her programme when she first sang it and thanked Geraldo for playing it to her, but it was never one of 'her songs'.  My own favourite will always be the song we played at my mother's funeral 'There'll Come Another Day'  because that summed up the real wartime feeling in the North of England more that the far away Cliffs  which to us were almost 'abroad'.  Sitting in the Air Raid Shelter and playing a 78 on a wind-up gramophone and joining in as she asked us to 'Be Like The Kettle And Sing' was fun to us kids and she became a sort of second mum on 't radio.  Despite her 'very posh' voice we always waited for the programme- her diction was down to a guy named Charles Smart aka Harold .  When I interviewed her for BFBS in 1961 she told me that Charles played the Organ on many of her early recordings and insisted that she lost her London accent as the BBC would not broadcast her songs unless she changed the 'vowerls' - only Gracie Fields could get away with that sort of thing....  Her sense of humour was not always recognised, but she could be a very funny - and occasionally - near to the mark with some of her stories from Burma during the War - 'those boys in the Jungle had a lot to answer for' she said!  Dear, dear Vera!

Archived