talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City 5-0 Burnley - Monday 22nd June, 2020

football forum

Just now, Fairy In Boots said:

Context is what has to do with it. 

You’re not disabled so I’ve called it you in the context that you’re an idiot. 

if you were a disabled 6 year old child calling you it would be wrong obviously. 

on a forum 18+ 100 users talking about football I think you need to toughen up really. 

mate, it's the implication that they are lesser or underseving of compassion when you use it as an insult. When ya reduce it to an insult the word becomes dehumanising, I know you'll disagree with that but that is the thought behind it. Just my thought on it, not offended but I understand the rationale for and against

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think things are taken too far nowadays... Not allowed to sing songs, not allowed to hang the union jack out of your window during a world Cup, programmes from the 70's getting banned, statues getting ripped down because of something that happened in 1862. 

Fuck me, no race is perfect, no race has it totally easy. As individuals you make of your life what you can... everyone is equal. 

All this BLM as far as I've witnessed isn't helping one bit. Its just causing disruption and a bigger divide at a time when before it was the best its ever been between black and white. 

Its ok to protest yes... but everyone, around the world, literally having their faces rubbed in it whether that be on the news or social media... its just not working.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah, but you weren't really being offensive if someone wasn't offended, were ya?xD

I just go back to great programs and music and the uproar, there was people trying to censor nirvana etc 

nowadays it’s the youth pushing censorship what has happened? 

I mean given that we can’t use another word for mentally disabled people on here, I think it’s a fair request that we don’t call each other spastics on here.

Similarly, it doesn’t benefit to call anyone else out on racism/political views when they’re not commenting on racism/politics and just talking about football. I think it just shuts people down when they would otherwise want to have a discussion where they might learn how/why what they’re saying is bigoted. Basically, there’s a time and a place for that shit, even on here. And it’s probably not during match discussions.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Nah it can be taken elsewhere. Not in a match thread. Bored of it. 

This, on the other hand. Good he's said something. Too many other players would skirt round the issue. 

I disagree, it is related to something about the match and I think it is healthy (well sometimes, or at least should be healthy) that people have a dialogue about what is happening. There is a reason why Ben Mee commented on that and not the match, because sometimes it is superceded.

• Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

I disagree, it is related to something about the match and I think it is healthy (well sometimes, or at least should be healthy) that people have a dialogue about what is happening. There is a reason why Ben Mee commented on that and not the match, because sometimes it is superceded.

I didn't say it was unhealthy. Just that there's a different place to talk about a lot of the issues raised. I've not said you can't discuss the issues. 

There's some stuff in here which definitely could be talked about elsewhere considering there's actual threads dedicated to them :what:.

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I just think things are taken too far nowadays... Not allowed to sing songs, not allowed to hang the union jack out of your window during a world Cup, programmes from the 70's getting banned, statues getting ripped down because of something that happened in 1862. 

I agree with the first 3 points but in terms of the statues being taken down, I think it's because those people are being celebrated despite doing racist atrocities. Just like King Leopold who was as bad as Hitler.

• Subscriber

Calling someone a spastic isn't really okay to be honest. I'm pretty sure they changed the names of actual spastics to something else because it got hijacked by people who wanted to use it as an insult to the extent that it became offensive to call actual spastics spastics, so it's not like mentally handicapped people said "it's alright, you can use spastics as an insult because we're called something else now".

However, I'm not convinced calling people names like that on a football forum is the worst crime ever. Some of the things many of us say about footballers are pretty vile but it's not like we actually mean it, like when I call Morgan Schneiderlin a lazy cunt who's not arsed it's not like I actually mean it.

Hopefully by challenging both sides of the argument I can get a few decent bites.

As for you @Stan I tried to use the word ret@rds in a post yesterday. The forum auto corrected it to something else and it ended up making me look silly. If spastic makes it through the word filter then ret@rds should be fair game too.

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Fuck me, no race is perfect, no race has it totally easy. As individuals you make of your life what you can... everyone is equal. 

All this BLM as far as I've witnessed isn't helping one bit. Its just causing disruption and a bigger divide at a time when before it was the best its ever been between black and white. 

Its ok to protest yes... but everyone, around the world, literally having their faces rubbed in it whether that be on the news or social media... its just not working.

Why would ye hang the Union Jack during the World Cup when the UK doesn't participate as a team in the WC?

I reckon statues are art, they reflect people's admiration and ideal of a specific time and place and should be in museums, they should not be destroyed at all but I don't necessarily think having a statue of Nathniel Bedford Forest in a park is really that good of an idea xD.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Calling someone a spastic isn't really okay to be honest. I'm pretty sure they changed the names of actual spastics to something else because it got hijacked by people who wanted to use it as an insult to the extent that it became offensive to call actual spastics spastics, so it's not like mentally handicapped people said "it's alright, you can use spastics as an insult because we're called something else now".

However, I'm not convinced calling people names like that on a football forum is the worst crime ever. Some of the things many of us say about footballers are pretty vile but it's not like we actually mean it, like when I call Morgan Schneiderlin a lazy cunt who's not arsed it's not like I actually mean it.

Hopefully by challenging both sides of the argument I can get a few decent bites.

As for you @Stan I tried to use the word ret@rds in a post yesterday. The forum auto corrected it to something else and it ended up making me look silly. If spastic makes it through the word filter then ret@rds should be fair game too.

'as for you'... What xD

Maybe we should change 'spastics' to something else instead. Thanks for the suggestion! 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

mate, it's the implication that they are lesser or underseving of compassion when you use it as an insult. When ya reduce it to an insult the word becomes dehumanising, I know you'll disagree with that but that is the thought behind it. Just my thought on it, not offended but I understand the rationale for and against

Yeah I get that but it’s riled him so I’ll keep calling it him. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean given that we can’t use another word for mentally disabled people on here, I think it’s a fair request that we don’t call each other spastics on here.

Similarly, it doesn’t benefit to call anyone else out on racism/political views when they’re not commenting on racism/politics and just talking about football. I think it just shuts people down when they would otherwise want to have a discussion where they might learn how/why what they’re saying is bigoted. Basically, there’s a time and a place for that shit, even on here. And it’s probably not during match discussions.

Ok hear me out, back in the 90’s when something became offensive it actually drove people to it, rock and roll for example. If you start banning things you give them power, if you don’t it lessens it. 

case in point the 4th time I called smiley a spastic is nowhere near as shocking as the first time I did it, be honest it’s not. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

'as for you'... What xD

Maybe we should change 'spastics' to something else instead. Thanks for the suggestion! 

You're the only one of the liberal elite online right now. I knew you'd take the snowflakes way out. Where's my freedom of speech?

:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I just go back to great programs and music and the uproar, there was people trying to censor nirvana etc 

nowadays it’s the youth pushing censorship what has happened? 

There was always an element of censorship, it is just more apparent now because of the huge amount of information that is ready to consume. Come on mate, Christian groups used to think Ozzy Osbourne was a satanist and wanted Black Sabbath to go the way of the dinosaurs. 

Look at George Carlin's seven word you can't say on TV or radio, how many of those could someone get away with today? the boundaries just shift and move but someone will always try and censor

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Mpache said:

It's just nice having a feud not revolving around me for a change :D 

Didn't stop you mentioning Peru though did it xD

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Calling someone a Blubbering sunflowers isn't really okay to be honest. I'm pretty sure they changed the names of actual spastics to something else because it got hijacked by people who wanted to use it as an insult to the extent that it became offensive to call actual spastics spastics, so it's not like mentally handicapped people said "it's alright, you can use spastics as an insult because we're called something else now".

As for you @Stan I tried to use the word ret@rds in a post yesterday. The forum auto corrected it to something else and it ended up making me look silly. If Blubbering sunflowers makes it through the word filter then ret@rds should be fair game too.

I remember when scope swapped from the Blubbering sunflowers society, words become fluid as a culture changes. Beard stroker, Blubbering sunflowers who cares have you never talked to a cerebral palsy sufferer? They will use it. 

context is the key in discourse, you can’t cancel words just weight up the context in which they’re delivered. 

• Subscriber

I remember when scope swapped from the Blubbering sunflowers society, words become fluid as a culture changes. Beard stroker, Blubbering sunflowers who cares have you never talked to a cerebral palsy sufferer? They will use it. 

context is the key in discourse, you can’t cancel words just weight up the context in which they’re delivered. 

I don't think censorship is necessary on this forum unless we're talking about properly aggressive racial slurs and such but the censorship on this post definitely makes it more funny.

I’m off to bed. Goodnight to everyone on here except the knuckle dragging, statue protecting, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon wannabe drain on society that doesn’t like anyone that’s skin colour is slightly different to his, that throws around insults that people stopped throwing about in 2002  

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

There was always an element of censorship, it is just more apparent now because of the huge amount of information that is ready to consume. Come on mate, Christian groups used to think Ozzy Osbourne was a satanist and wanted Black Sabbath to go the way of the dinosaurs. 

Look at George Carlin's seven word you can't say on TV or radio, how many of those could someone get away with today? the boundaries just shift and move but someone will always try and censor

Yes but we’re adults, surely we’ve got to be able to parse information and decide on the context with which it’s delivered? I worry about 25 and below now they don’t seem to understand context and just go full outrage

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think censorship is necessary on this forum unless we're talking about properly aggressive racial slurs and such but the censorship on this post definitely makes it more funny.

Spastics, see like a lockdown rave on a council  estate scumbags like myself will find a way

Yes but we’re adults, surely we’ve got to be able to parse information and decide on the context with which it’s delivered? I worry about 25 and below now they don’t seem to understand context and just go full outrage

Spàstics, see like a lockdown rave on a council  estate scumbags like myself will find a way

Yeah we are adults, so we should know when we are being offensive, and when it is and isn't necessary. It goes both ways, I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m off to bed. Goodnight to everyone on here except the knuckle dragging, statue protecting, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon wannabe drain on society that doesn’t like anyone that’s skin colour is slightly different to his, that throws around insults that people stopped throwing about in 2002  

Awe rattled so hard your neighbours think you’re fracking! 

And they changed in 1994 you spästic

• Administrator

Awe rattled so hard your neighbours think you’re fracking! 

And they changed in 1994 you spästic

So much for 'we're all adults' yet you still love to continue using the word :what:

Grow up. 

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived