talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Clubs In Europe Won't Play in EFL Cup Next Season

football forum

• Administrator

Makes sense and I think this should be the norm going forward.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/league-cup-could-played-without-18451339

The League Cup could be played without the top seven Premier League clubs next season.

According to The Times, a fixture pile-up for teams involved in European competitions could mean the Carabao Cup is played without the top flights seven best teams next term.

It was confirmed this week that the Champions League and Europa League schedules will run well into August, meaning involved teams won't be able to play League Cup ties as things stand, and the EFL are said to be considering what that means for their competition.

The report suggests decisions are yet to be made, but there is a real possibility the top seven could be left out of the next edition of the competition.

The alternative could be to do away with the competition for a season, but it would likely cause further financial damage to lower league clubs who already face uncertain times.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

This will become the norm now.

People have been trying to discredit this tournament as a major trophy for years using tenuous reasons such as player rotation.

Now that they've taken out the elite clubs, that argument is actually true for the first time.

For the sake of the history books, this needs to be treated as a new, different tournament to the League Cup.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This will become the norm now.

People have been trying to discredit this tournament as a major trophy for years using tenuous reasons such as player rotation.

Now that they've taken out the elite clubs, that argument is actually true for the first time.

For the sake of the history books, this needs to be treated as a new, different tournament to the League Cup.

I agree - the integrity of the competition has been lost due to several clubs treating it as a minor priority (and why wouldn't they?). The glamour it was once classed with where it could be a competitive trophy to win has gone down because the other competitions are more attractive (if in them) - look at the prize money for finishing just one place higher in PL or advancing through to EL and CL latter stages. Having said that, if you're not in Europe I think it's still a good opportunity to remain competitive in. Maybe there needs to be better incentives to win.

I'm not sure how it will be impacted even further though when that 3rd European competition comes in to play. Unless it becomes a competition that only EFL clubs end up playing in...

Agree with you @Stan

With there being more games played than ever, and more tournaments, and more travel, it just doesn't make sense to have 2 domestic cups Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole tournament scrapped all together, but I'm also not in as tied to the historical aspect of it like some are. 

• Subscriber

I'd say scrap it for next season if Covid 19 is messing with the schedule then bring it back as normal the year after.

People say this competition isn't important but since 2004, only Birmingham and Swansea have won it from outside the traditional top six. If teams like Wolves, Everton and Southampton start winning it with the European clubs not involved it shouldn't count as a "major trophy" like it currently does so they should make it a new competition if this is what they're dead set on.

I still think it's a massive shame. 

It'd be a shame to just get rid of it so not including the 'top six' would be a good solution. It's still an important trophy and for some clubs the rare chance to get to Wembley like it was for us lot in the Capital One Cup a few season back.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

That's a bit of a joke really, you can't have a competiton without the team that won it the last three times in a row. Just fit the League Cup in but tweak the schdule. Play 3-4 matches a week if you have to. Or just give the top 8-16 in the PL a bye and don't bother playing the earlier rounds.

4 matches a week xD. What.

I don't think it should be that easy for the european clubs. It's not anyone else's problem but theirs.

Pulling teams out should be a total non starter. Make them participate and it's up to them what side they want to put out.

Liverpool played kids all the way to the QF's last year, if they want to they would likely do it again anyway. If City want to go for it still, they will play a 2nd string that will beat most clubs 1st string like normal anyway.

Pretty much all those clubs have reserves that need game time or kids to prove their worth. You can't tell me that none of the european sides cannot put out a first XI.

It might not be their desired choice but still, thats what having a squad and the youth is also for. If someone like Leicester want to go for it, they will mix in more of the quality players. Same with Wolves, Man U etc.

Just now, CityTheBest said:

How's that a problem. Most people do a working week of 5-6 days. I'm sure they can manage 4 days of football for 2 hours.

Play the League Cup L32 on Monday, CL Wednesday, League Cup L16 on Friday, PL Sunday. You've already done two rounds within a week and you are already at the QF stage. It really isn't that difficult to get a cup competion in.

You couldn't make it more obvious that you never played the sport. xD

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

How's that a problem. Most people do a working week of 5-6 days. I'm sure they can manage 4 days of football for 2 hours.

Play the League Cup L32 on Monday, CL Wednesday, League Cup L16 on Friday, PL Sunday. You've already done two rounds within a week and you are already at the QF stage. It really isn't that difficult to get a cup competion in.

lol okay.

I know there were previous posts but this confirms to me you are a full on troll not worth paying any more attention to. 

Just now, ScoRoss said:

*any sport

TBF, Baseball plays up to 5-6 games a week, but the level of physical exertion is so minimal that it doesn't care long term harm on the body. 

2 hours ago, Eco said:

TBF, Baseball plays up to 5-6 games a week, but the level of physical exertion is so minimal that it doesn't care long term harm on the body. 

It was more about him thinking working a job is anything like playing a physically demanding sport.

Plus, baseball players haven't been playing at all this summer...:ph34r:

Archived