talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Neil Warnock At Middlesbrough

• The title was changed to Jonathan Woodgate Sacked By Middlesbrough; Neil Warnock Appointed
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

My boro fan mate not happy. Whats the point of sacking Pulis if you're going to appoint Warnock 8 months later? The idea was a new ground up set up and identity like Norwich. 

Because survival at that level, more so given the circumstances going on in the world, is worth more than playing aesthetically nicely and getting humped each week. 

10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Because survival at that level, more so given the circumstances going on in the world, is worth more than playing aesthetically nicely and getting humped each week. 

They certainly weren't playing aesthetically. But the idea was no more journeymen managers. So they sign Warcock? 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

My boro fan mate not happy. Whats the point of sacking Pulis if you're going to appoint Warnock 8 months later? The idea was a new ground up set up and identity like Norwich. 

I totally understand that but one classic example of this going pear-shaped is Ipswich.

They tried to do exactly the same, parted company with Mick McCarthy who'd kept them up for many years, and the moment they tried to tear up the script and start a new identity, they plummeted down to League One.

Sometimes, people try to revolutionise the wheel too much too soon and it's not as easy to do that in the Championship when your hands are more tied with restrictions.

Woodgate went in with the right intentions but the lack of adaptability and stubborness to ignore your teams strengths with the players you have, has been his downfall.

Warnock will very likely keep them up because he'll make them what the players were used to before, playing compact and solid.

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

They certainly weren't playing aesthetically. But the idea was no more journeymen managers. So they sign Warcock? 

Because it clearly wasn’t working so they’ve appointed a successful, experienced manager to keep them in the league. 

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I mean, I think the owner gave Woodgate as long as possible. It has came to a point now where you have to protect your club, and let’s be honest, Middlesbrough are in free fall. Warnock will save them and probably stay for a season. They just don’t have the players to play this expansive, passing game. 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

Stupid decision and in the middle of a pandemic too.

Middlesbrough need money, it isn't the manager. The owner shuld sell the club and advertise it to someone wealthy.

But that doesn't help them right now does it. They still have games to turn it around in the meantime and Warnock is a great choice to help do that. Woodgate hasn't had the experience to do that and it's not a risk that Middlesbrough would want to take to allow him to try.

1 hour ago, CityTheBest said:

Stupid decision and in the middle of a pandemic too.

Middlesbrough need money, it isn't the manager. The owner shuld sell the club and advertise it to someone wealthy.

With Financial Fair Play, what difference would a new owner make?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

Then why appoint him the first place? Why wait until a pandemic? is it even safe for Warnock to manage considering he's over 70? It's just odd all round.

Because they wanted to build the club up but results haven't gone the way they would have wanted so they're taking action to try and not get relegated...

On 23/06/2020 at 12:21, Lucas said:

They tried to do exactly the same, parted company with Mick McCarthy who'd kept them up for many years, and the moment they tried to tear up the script and start a new identity, they plummeted down to League One.

Sometimes, people try to revolutionise the wheel too much too soon and it's not as easy to do that in the Championship when your hands are more tied with restrictions.

I agree with that approach, especially when thinking about my own club. The thing is, we pay extortionate amounts of money to watch unambiguous football, so if a young manager try’s and fails to get his philosophy going, the price could be relegation. Now as you rightly mentioned there is a financial impact to dropping divisions and that’s the sad reality that the numbers on the balance sheet mean more than the clubs DNA which is why Paulis, Warnock, MOYES are wheeled out to stable clubs and as we’re seeing now with the self proclaimed winner, it doesn’t always pay off. 

5 hours ago, West of West Ham said:

I agree with that approach, especially when thinking about my own club. The thing is, we pay extortionate amounts of money to watch unambiguous football, so if a young manager try’s and fails to get his philosophy going, the price could be relegation. Now as you rightly mentioned there is a financial impact to dropping divisions and that’s the sad reality that the numbers on the balance sheet mean more than the clubs DNA which is why Paulis, Warnock, MOYES are wheeled out to stable clubs and as we’re seeing now with the self proclaimed winner, it doesn’t always pay off. 

I'd have thought you'd be very well placed to judge too given West Ham had Big Sam and despite actually getting you promoted and doing a reasonable job, he was constantly hammered (excuse the pun) by the fans.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

I'd have thought you'd be very well placed to judge too given West Ham had Big Sam and despite actually getting you promoted and doing a reasonable job, he was constantly hammered (excuse the pun) by the fans.

He was, because football is more than results. Watching your team negatively approach games each week is boring and when you’re a club like ours substance, flair and desire are what we love.

On 23/06/2020 at 21:16, CityTheBest said:

There's always a way as they say. Bribery for example.

You're a weird person aren't  you.

People put too much of an emphasis on playing a certain way. People go on about the nice football that Norwich play but we have still scored more goals than them. 

Neil Warnock will help them cut the cloth and offer stability whilst progressing the young players at the same time. It's a shrewd move. Everybody wanted Woodgate to do well but he was just out of his depth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Subscriber

Neil Warnock: Middlesbrough boss extends deal until the end of 2021-22 season

Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock has signed a contract extension until the end of the 2021-22 season.

The 72-year-old took over in June 2020 after Jonathan Woodgate was sacked and steered Boro to Championship survival before agreeing to stay on this season.

The Teessiders are ninth in the Championship, five points off the play-off places.

Warnock, who has won eight promotions across his long career, has now managed professionally in 1,569 matches.

He started his managerial career in non-league with Gainsborough Trinity in 1980 and, at one point, had planned to retire at the end of the 2005-06 season.

After leaving boyhood club Sheffield United following relegation from the Premier League in 2007, he said "there is another club, chairman and group of fans out there who would relish me taking over".

Since then he has managed six further clubs, including having two spells at both Crystal Palace and QPR, and won two more promotions to the top flight.

He left Cardiff in November 2019 having said the 2019-20 season would be his last in management but seven months later took over at Boro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56280408

Archived