The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 2-1 Man City - Thursday 25th June, 2020

football forum

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bluewolf said:

Oh that... thought it was something important... B|

He also invented a cheap covid-19 vaccine but that has taken a huge backseat to the Liverpool win in the papers.

5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Lampard is low-key a bit underrated tactically I think. He's only been manager for like two years and his team has comfortably nullified and punished City. 

We nullified City at the Ethiad earlier in the season and matched them toe to toe in midfield. I would've preferred we acted that same manner as City's defence were there for the taking and are way worse since then. 

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, MUFC said:

We might have to hope that this Leicester slump continues.

It probably will and I'm quite nervous about our top 4 chances now. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

It probably will and I'm quite nervous about our top 4 chances now. 

We've got to somehow pull something out the bag against Everton or Palace, and I mean probably 4 points minimum. We're under big pressure now.

Someone pointed out we where gifted a win by City? City had two chances in the entire game, first free kick from Kevin that went in and a few minutes later Sterling hit the post. It was the only period we were pushed and looked like conceding. In the first half they had that header from Fernandinho and in the second we could have easily got another two and it wouldn't be harsh amazing what we managed not to score. We had 10 shots on target, don't recall anyone having this much against City in the recent years, while City amazed a total of two which one went in from the free kick. I would admit if we were outplayed or if City dominated, but this win was clear and fully deserved with the amount of chances we had we should have won by more.

• The topic was unpinned

I didn't say we didn't deserve to win.

Personally, I wasn't a fan of the set up. Given that we went toe to toe with City earlier in the season, I wanted that same approach because I fancied our chances with everyone rested. Seeing the lineup and Kante as a lone DM had me realised we were going back to the short fix Conte/Mourinho approach. 

My biggest fear is that we will subconsciously go back to shithousing against the top sides again, even with improved players. This wasn't a performance I would brag about. I thought City were playing through the motions and only really got out of first gear after the KDB goal. Sterling hits the post moments later and they were all over us until Fernandinho decided to pull a Suarez. 

If Lampard decided on these tactics just to secure points at all cost, fair enough. Moving forward, in the big games I'd like Kante to sit but with a regista next to him. That way at least we can retain some possession. 

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Personally, I wasn't a fan of the set up. Given that we went toe to toe with City earlier in the season, I wanted that same approach because I fancied our chances with everyone rested. Seeing the lineup and Kante as a lone DM had me realised we were going back to the short fix Conte/Mourinho approach. 

My biggest fear is that we will subconsciously go back to shithousing against the top sides again, even with improved players. This wasn't a performance I would brag about. I thought City were playing through the motions and only really got out of first gear after the KDB goal. Sterling hits the post moments later and they were all over us until Fernandinho decided to pull a Suarez. 

If Lampard decided on these tactics just to secure points at all cost, fair enough. Moving forward, in the big games I'd like Kante to sit but with a regista next to him. That way at least we can retain some possession. 

I agree to some extent. I think more the problem with the Conte approach for example which I've been critical of in the past is that in his second season, for the most part, it no longer became an effective way of playing. I don't mind that sort of football if I see it being successful and that chances are being created and there's some ambition to be creative and attack which you can still produce despite setting up that way. The problem with Conte in that second season is that our attacking play and chances in a lot of the big games lessened as the season went on, opponents were a lot more effective at controlling our counters and attacking patterns. So a lot of the time it frustrated me because we were sitting back but more importantly it all seemed pointless to me because the majority of the opponents could easily stifle our attacks. Hence we found ourselves in a position where the opportunities to win games weren't as high as they should be.

Last night, I thought City were poor but even them not at their best is difficult, even though you still have to admit their performance helped us. Our back line's position did vary throughout the game and ultimately we did enough to create things, a lot of it coming from going long and playing off the striker. I saw avenues where we could win that game and also Lampard after talked about how he wanted us to have more possession and belief which was a good sign. Individually we defended a lot better which is probably in part down to us being a bit more compact. Players like Christensen, Rudiger, and Azpilicueta putting in good performances who have all had their fair share of criticism this season. Our ability on the ball was probably one of the most frustrating things for me last night, some of the build-up from the back was tragic at times, Kanté in particular, losing a lot of the ball.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So I know many Chelsea fans don’t really like Willian, but he’s for sure my favourite ever mom-LFC player. Sorry Zidane and Henry, but Willian actually improved my life.

It's not that we don't like him only he has never really reached that potential we had been hoping for... 

The way high-level football is played, every single loss can attributed to a handful of mistakes leading to goals. Nearly all high-level goals are from defensive mistakes. Mendy comitting to Pulisic was a mistake, Fernandinho's handball and the defending leading to the clusterfuck were mistakes. Kevin de Bruyne, you could argue was sheer brilliance, no mistakes there. The only thing that could have stopped that is if the wall could jump five metres in the air, or if Kepa had three metre long arms.

35 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It's not that we don't like him only he has never really reached that potential we had been hoping for... 

Well we almost signed him but you got him instead but he won us the league, he reached the potential I was hoping for when we were linked with him.

Legend.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Cicero said:

I thought Kante really looked a bit off it to be honest and not just because he was restricted. He's definitely lost something.

Archived