talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How do you feel about your rivals? Do you buy into the traditional rivalries, modern rivalries or do you have you irrational hatred for another club?

I’m a traditionalist and regard our biggest rivalry with Millwall. Despite not being in the same division often, the intensity of the rivalry is felt in the build up to games, before during and after. I’m lucky enough to have experienced the games home and away against Millwall and there’s nothing like it. It’s the closest thing in English football to the intensity of Rangers and Celtic.

Obviously, for those on the outside of West Ham and Millwall they think of the violence, which is part of the history dating back to the 70s, but it’s much more like two warring brothers. We’re two sides of the same coin, very similar supporter cultures, historically inner London working class support comprised from the local areas around the clubs and our outlook on life is similar. 

Despite the similarities, nothing beats turning them over on the few occasions we meet. They had a grip on the fixtures from the early 90s to 2009 which we finally ended, winning 3-1 during an infamous League Cup tie, which is more famous for the violence than us finally getting one over ‘Wall. The fallback of that fixture is that should we ever be drawn against one another in a cup, they’ll put the balls back and redraw the fixtures. I don’t know if that remains the case, but it was said at the time. 

As we stare another relegation in the face, our attention from our other London rivals will be switched from N17, N7 and SW6 to SE16. While none of us want to go down, there’s plenty of excitement for renewing rivalries with Millwall. 

Others I can’t stand are Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, and an irrational hatred of a Crystal Palace. The latter aren’t considered rivals, I just find them and the whole Ultra thing cringe. The nickname ‘Nigel’ has never been more apt. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Ham Millwall is a proper derby. As a neutral, you always want to see that kind of draw come out in the cup because you can feel how venomous it is.

Problem being it is a potential blood bath due to people going OTT these days. Perhaps the Green Street movie and Football Factory doesn't help with the reputation either, but in London especially, as everything is in close proximity, it seems to be hugely territorial.

For us, it will always be Man Utd. We despise them and you only have to look back at past atmospheres to see how volatile that can be, especially at Elland Road. Giggs, Fergie, Keane and Rio have always alluded to it. The Lancashire Yorkshire rivaly stems back historically.

And whilst I accept United's main rival will 100%always be Liverpool, I think if you asked most their fans, they would honestly share an irrational hatred for us despite us being out the Premier League for 16 years. They still care or else they wouldn't sing about us. If we got promoted, it would be 2 brilliant fixtures for the Premier League I feel.

Personally i "hate" or "dislike" the London teams in no order Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham etc as i am even though a Chelsea fan very old school based. I regard them as rivals while i don't rate United, Liverpool or City as rivals. Only regard them as title rivals but nothing more.

39 minutes ago, Lucas said:

West Ham Millwall is a proper derby. As a neutral, you always want to see that kind of draw come out in the cup because you can feel how venomous it is.

Problem being it is a potential blood bath due to people going OTT these days. Perhaps the Green Street movie and Football Factory doesn't help with the reputation either, but in London especially, as everything is in close proximity, it seems to be hugely territorial.

For us, it will always be Man Utd. We despise them and you only have to look back at past atmospheres to see how volatile that can be, especially at Elland Road. Giggs, Fergie, Keane and Rio have always alluded to it. The Lancashire Yorkshire rivaly stems back historically.

And whilst I accept United's main rival will 100%always be Liverpool, I think if you asked most their fans, they would honestly share an irrational hatred for us despite us being out the Premier League for 16 years. They still care or else they wouldn't sing about us. If we got promoted, it would be 2 brilliant fixtures for the Premier League I feel.

Absolutely and I think the Premier League will benefit for a renewal of the Leeds/Man United rivalry. Leeds in general to be honest, which for me is a shame if we miss you boys by swapping divisions.

I think a lot gets lost in modern football and superficial rivalries are created. Leeds and Man United is genuine and the league will benefit, just it would if Portsmouth found their way back, or Forest and Derby... Two trips to look forward to next season! 

• Administrator

No rivalry at all.

Not played Coventry for about 10+ years. Forest and Derby since we were in the Championship which was 2013/14. Just in our own little superior bubble in the East Midlands :ph34r:

To be honest, even if we had played them regularly, even just one of them, in the past few years it's nowhere near the level of other rivalries already mentioned. Having said that, the quality of some of the games like Everton vs Liverpool has been utterly dire for a good few years (as in that fixture, not the reverse). Man Utd vs Arsenal used to be the competitive rivalry around the 90s/early 00s but since Arsenal have gone to shit and Man Utd were on the way to joining their new level it's not the same. Tottenham vs Arsenal is a much better fixture with some bite.

Any rivalry we have these days is purely competitive. I'd say our games with Villa have more about them than any other fixture but obviously that isn't reciprocal (and I don't expect it to be) as they have closer geographic and competitive rivalries. I think anyway our rivalry with them goes back to the 70s/80s when both clubs' hooligans would seek each other out to win their own Darwin awards. Maybe @Fairy In Boots can allude more to it as I think he was around in those days.

My first real football match was a massive rivalry (Milan Derby), and one that will go down in history as one of the greatest matches ever between the two clubs. I just happened to sit on the blue side of the stadium which is why I still watch Inter Milan.

The hatred between the two sides is real, and seen each and every time they play. Few players have played for both although I feel like this has changed slightly recently. An up and coming striker with Inter put on an AC Milan shirt and got shipped out soon afterwards (Balotelli), and that didn't surprise anyone. Inter also have a much hated rivalry with Juventus, which has just become easier after calciopoli. Juventus legend Conte decides to coach Inter, and Juventus fans in Turin start a petition to take down all statues of Conte and attempt to erase his name from all things Juventus.

I've never followed the EPL, but I do find that their are teams that I naturally just don't like. Reason exist for my distaste, but at times the only explanation is , 'just because'.

In Russia, I have a strong hatred for Dinamo and CSKA, based on what the two clubs stand for and their history.

The MLS has attempted to create rivals, with Atlanta's being Orlando City SC, but it's fake and no one really cares.

Lastly, I'll say their are teams around Europe that I just dislike, and feel an almost rival hatred for. Most of the time I can't even explain why I don't like these clubs, but I just don't and rather chuckle to myself when they lose.

Just now, CityTheBest said:

Our biggest rivals are United but I think the rivalary has mellowed since we surpassed them and became a bigger club. Liverpool are probably our biggest rivals now, and perhaps the biggest rivalry in England. Both clubs hate each others guts. 

Wat?

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

City's biggest rivals are United but I think the rivalry has mellowed since we surpassed them and became a bigger club. Liverpool are probably our biggest rivals now, and it is perhaps the biggest rivalry in England. Both clubs hate each others guts.

Biggest troll on this forum.

Hoping that Man City - Liverpool could grow into something approaching the late 90s/early 00s Man United - Arsenal matches. Had some fantastic matches between the two.

So many rivalries are just supporters and it seemed like that was even more of a rivalry between the players rather than hype by people around the fixture.

2019-20: City 63 pts, United 46

2018-19: City 98, United 66

2017-18: City 100, United 81

2016-17: City 78, United 69

2015-16: City 66, United 66

2014-15: City 79, United 70

2013-14: City 86, United 64

Manchester United are much more respected than City, have 14 more titles, 6 more FA Cups, and 3 more Champions League Titles.

Oh...and they did the double over City this year.

Always Everton and Man Utd. They're the two fixtures I look for at the start of each season.

There will be rivalries that come and go because you're competing for the same trophies such as Man City at the moment, Chelsea in the Benitez era and further back for the older fans there's Nottingham Forest and Leeds but they don't last unless both sides are close in ability.

16 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

2019-20: City 63 pts, United 46

2018-19: City 98, United 66

2017-18: City 100, United 81

2016-17: City 78, United 69

2015-16: City 66, United 66

2014-15: City 79, United 70

2013-14: City 86, United 64

image.thumb.png.0f21e2b89dadf30466b3a85a0b7d15bb.png

image.thumb.png.9dbf90c2c3a0cdd2fc3d23fbc0668dc1.png

1 minute ago, CityTheBest said:

That's in the past. Let's look at the present and future. United haven't won the CL since 2008 or the PL since 2013. They are history. 

What are you...12 years old?

City have won three Pl titles since United last won one. Thanks for reminding me. B|

And United have 3 more CL titles since you....well existed.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

That's in the past. Let's look at the present and future. United haven't won the CL since 2008 or the PL since 2013. They are history.

When have you ever won the CL though xDxD. What a shite reason to bring up xD 

Bad troll is bad.

• Subscriber

Arsenal

Chelsea

West Ham

In that order.

The North London Derby is probably the best in England right now in terms of overall package when you consider both the rivalry aspect but also the games themselves. They are very rarely dull.

The Chelsea one is a huge one to the players. I think they dislike each other even more. I didn't really know Chelsea fans growing up cause they didn't exist but I'd say it's not far off the Arsenal game.

West Ham are down the list. I don't hate them really, just when we play them, but apart from that they are just quite amusing. 

It's tough for us though that we have three derbies where the fans all consider us to be the big one in the league - I do think it's easier for say someone like Leicester who don't have any rivals. 

Some rivalries only exist within a small time and place, are Chelsea and Liverpool rivals? No, but I'd say they were from about 2004-2012. Kinda like the Arsenal v Manchester United games of the late 90s and early 00s.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Storts said:

The Chelsea one is a huge one to the players. I think they dislike each other even more. I didn't really know Chelsea fans growing up cause they didn't exist but I'd say it's not far off the Arsenal game.

From your view how big was the Chelsea rivalry before that 2-2 game in 2016?

I know you've said it didn't all hinge on that game anyway and we'd have gone on to win the league as it was, but I was watching some PL Years/Reviews games and Spurs/Chelsea had some tasty games in the 90s.   

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

City have won three Pl titles since United last won one. Thanks for reminding me. B|

Leicester have won a Premier League title, doesn't make them a bigger club than anyone else who hasn't based solely on trophies?

Back to the topic... it's clear there's different types of rivalries so local rivalries are a given, and then there's title rivalries and then there's just the clubs you love to hate for no real reason. Grimsby aren't in the Premier League but I'd say our biggest rivals at the moment are Lincoln but there aren't our closest rivals in distance (Scunthorpe/Hull) but are our biggest rival due to playing them most recently and the most regularly. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

From your view how big was the Chelsea rivalry before that 2-2 game in 2016?

I know you've said it didn't all hinge on that game anyway and we'd have gone on to win the league as it was, but I was watching some PL Years/Reviews games and Spurs/Chelsea had some tasty games in the 90s.   

It definitely heightened things, particularly for the players. But I think I've always considered them turn second rival. They had a huge winning streak over us, even when they didn't have the mega money, and it was always one of those fixtures with big flare ups and kick offs outside. I'd say they are closer to Arsenal now than they ever had been before though in terms of the size of the derby. 

If you’re talking about hatred and animosity then I don’t think there’s any other derbies in England that top West Ham/Milwall and Newcastle/Sunderland.

In the UK it’s clearly the Old Firm

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

If you’re talking about hatred and animosity then I don’t think there’s any other derbies in England that top West Ham/Milwall and Newcastle/Sunderland.

In the UK it’s clearly the Old Firm

Sunderland v Newcastle is always a really good game. It is very rarely a boring affair. When it's not the fans punching each other, they're punching horses! It's a shame we won't see a Tyne/Wear derby for a while; at least not in the league.

Archived