talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, I can't stand Chile.

I am one who can gladly admit Chile deserved the 2 Copa America's in 2015 and 2016, but I still hate that they won it. Especially in the arrogant manner they did. 

When we beat them 3-0 last year after we had countless Chileans and neutrals saying they were already in the final and that Peru was no match, was an absolutely glorious moment even though it was obvious to us that we were the better team without a doubt.

There was a reason we went to Russia and they didn't.

17 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Nah, I can't stand Chile.

I am one who can gladly admit Chile deserved the 2 Copa America's in 2015 and 2016, but I still hate that they won it. Especially in the arrogant manner they did. 

When we beat them 3-0 last year after we had countless Chileans and neutrals saying they were already in the final and that Peru was no match, was an absolutely glorious moment even though it was obvious to us that we were the better team without a doubt.

There was a reason we went to Russia and they didn't.

Club rivalries

18 hours ago, Storts said:

West Ham are down the list. I don't hate them really, just when we play them, but apart from that they are just quite amusing. 

I knew this was coming. I’ve a lot of Spurs mates and I’ve been to several games between the two and my first-hand experiences is that the hate is very much mutual. You always get the wallys online playing it down, but in real life it’s a very different story. 

You mentioned games between Spurs and Chelsea are very rarely dull affairs, likewise with us and you. It especially picks up when Spurs have something to play for and you come to ours and fluff your lines. West Ham are the hurdle you can’t jump when you’re challenging for league titles or Champions League spots after a dodgy lasange!

I fucking hate Spurs and enjoy the arrogance of where you think you are when it all comes crashing down around you, but you’re not Millwal, that’s another level of spite. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, West of West Ham said:

I knew this was coming. I’ve a lot of Spurs mates and I’ve been to several games between the two and my first-hand experiences is that the hate is very much mutual. You always get the wallys online playing it down, but in real life it’s a very different story. 

You mentioned games between Spurs and Chelsea are very rarely dull affairs, likewise with us and you. It especially picks up when Spurs have something to play for and you come to ours and fluff your lines. West Ham are the hurdle you can’t jump when you’re challenging for league titles or Champions League spots after a dodgy lasange!

I fucking hate Spurs and enjoy the arrogance of where you think you are when it all comes crashing down around you, but you’re not Millwal, that’s another level of spite. 

I'm not downplaying it - some will say it's not a rivalry at all - it is - but it's definitely third on the list. I don't hate you in the same way when we are not playing each other. I have a lot of good mates that are West Ham. I go home and away mate, I know what it's like at the games, but there is no denying it's a bigger game for your fanbase than it is for ours. Give us a choice of winning games against Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham and it's the former two every time.

Not sure it really bothers us - whereas you go on and on about this. Lasagnegate is completely irrelevant in our history now thankfully. We went on and got to a CL final since then. The League title was never ours to win by the time you beat us either although admittedly that was harder.

See again you've kind of proven my point there. I don't have anywhere near that level of hatred for West Ham. There's no real arrogance either - I criticise us more than most. But we are better than you, we are bigger than you - and that's just how it is.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

I'm not downplaying it - some will say it's not a rivalry at all - it is - but it's definitely third on the list. I don't hate you in the same way when we are not playing each other. I have a lot of good mates that are West Ham. I go home and away mate, I know what it's like at the games, but there is no denying it's a bigger game for your fanbase than it is for ours. Give us a choice of winning games against Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham and it's the former two every time.

Not sure it really bothers us - whereas you go on and on about this. Lasagnegate is completely irrelevant in our history now thankfully. We went on and got to a CL final since then. The League title was never ours to win by the time you beat us either although admittedly that was harder.

See again you've kind of proven my point there. I don't have anywhere near that level of hatred for West Ham. There's no real arrogance either - I criticise us more than most. But we are better than you, we are bigger than you - and that's just how it is.

Better than us? Absolutely. Bigger than us? Absolutely. I’d go as far as to say Spurs are London’s second biggest club and for me, controversially, domestic support is what I base that on. That said, there is a general opinion that Spurs are arrogant, that they carry themselves like champions with two league cups to show in the last 25 years. I’m not denigrating those cups, I’d love us to win one, but Spurs supporters think of themselves as an elite with nothing to show for it. 

I’m sure you’d agree that Spurs are most hated club in London amongst the other supporter groups, which is why you have three intense rivalries. You’re Arsenal and Chelsea’s biggest rivals and our second.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, West of West Ham said:

Better than us? Absolutely. Bigger than us? Absolutely. I’d go as far as to say Spurs are London’s second biggest club and for me, controversially, domestic support is what I base that on. That said, there is a general opinion that Spurs are arrogant, that they carry themselves like champions with two league cups to show in the last 25 years. I’m not denigrating those cups, I’d love us to win one, but Spurs supporters think of themselves as an elite with nothing to show for it. 

I’m sure you’d agree that Spurs are most hated club in London amongst the other supporter groups, which is why you have three intense rivalries. You’re Arsenal and Chelsea’s biggest rivals and our second.

Oh absolutely. I don’t really disagree with you there on anything, other than it’s definitely a minority of fans like that, same as any club, but certainly we do have our fair share of deluded folk. I think we are probably one of, if not, English footballs biggest underachievers. It’s not that we havent won anything either, people do overlook this due to our recent failures as  you’ve pointed out which for a club of our past is pathetic, but we have 2 titles, 8 FA cups, 4 leagues cups, 2 UEFA Cups and a cup winners cup. It’s just that the league titles are so low and we’ve had this barren run since the Premier League began. We were really left behind then with bad decisions made by management at the time and had never really recovered the ground - it doesn’t help either when you had money clubs like City and Chelsea just spending their way into the elite which I’m sure you can attest to as well. 

Oh yeah definitely - we are, which is challenging for us with 6 huge derby games a season. I’m still gutted you moved from UP though. Absolutely loved going there, hostility in the air around the ground, some big wins for us and some awful defeats. It’s everything you wanted from an away day 

19 hours ago, Storts said:

It definitely heightened things, particularly for the players. But I think I've always considered them turn second rival. They had a huge winning streak over us, even when they didn't have the mega money, and it was always one of those fixtures with big flare ups and kick offs outside. I'd say they are closer to Arsenal now than they ever had been before though in terms of the size of the derby. 

Definitely agree on that, Spurs and Arsenal where always the fiercest rivals. We had a local derby with Fulham but it wasn't as big as the north London derby.

2 hours ago, Storts said:

Oh absolutely. I don’t really disagree with you there on anything, other than it’s definitely a minority of fans like that, same as any club, but certainly we do have our fair share of deluded folk. I think we are probably one of, if not, English footballs biggest underachievers. It’s not that we havent won anything either, people do overlook this due to our recent failures as  you’ve pointed out which for a club of our past is pathetic, but we have 2 titles, 8 FA cups, 4 leagues cups, 2 UEFA Cups and a cup winners cup. It’s just that the league titles are so low and we’ve had this barren run since the Premier League began. We were really left behind then with bad decisions made by management at the time and had never really recovered the ground - it doesn’t help either when you had money clubs like City and Chelsea just spending their way into the elite which I’m sure you can attest to as well. 

Oh yeah definitely - we are, which is challenging for us with 6 huge derby games a season. I’m still gutted you moved from UP though. Absolutely loved going there, hostility in the air around the ground, some big wins for us and some awful defeats. It’s everything you wanted from an away day 

I can attest and sympathise with to poor ownership/management. It follows us each time the club is sold from one blood sucking crook to the next. Spurs seem well run from the outside now, but it appears only to generate more income and not trophies and that’s indicative of the modern game in general, which ties in nicely with your second paragraph.

The move to the LS was motivated to enhance the wealth and profile of three crooks, not the put the club on an upward trajectory to compete. There was no rhyme or reason to move when the club had existing permission to rebuild the Chicken Run stand at Upton Park. 45000/50000 would have been perfect for us. 

I do disagree with your point regarding Chelsea and Abramovic though. The money helped them, no doubt about it, but as much as it pains me to say it, a revolution was taking place at Chelsea the minute Hoddle walked through the door. The 90s were good to Chelsea and the early 2000s weren’t bad either. Plenty of cups and Champions League qualifications pre-Abramovic, but his money enabled them to take the extra steps to winning the biggest prizes. Still a plastic club who’s core support have been forgotten, but I can’t deny their success before the dodgy oil baron bought them.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Azeem said:

I really do hate the hooliganism that comes with football

I do and I don’t. 

Obviously fighting over football is absolutely ridiculous, fighting generally is, but often it’s pretty pathetic.

At the same time though, attending football is so much better with a bit of spice and needle in the air. The hostility improves the atmosphere no end, and the tribal nature of the sport is one of the reasons it’s is popular 

2 hours ago, Storts said:

I do and I don’t. 

Obviously fighting over football is absolutely ridiculous, fighting generally is, but often it’s pretty pathetic.

At the same time though, attending football is so much better with a bit of spice and needle in the air. The hostility improves the atmosphere no end, and the tribal nature of the sport is one of the reasons it’s is popular 

@Storts talking a lot of sense these days.

I'm not for the fighting whatsoever and would never get involved but it definitely has added something to the atmosphere in the London derbies. Remember one incident at Chelsea / West Ham, I think it was back when Bilić was in charge. The away end at Stamford Bridge is situated next to the family section (perhaps strategically done I don't know) but I remember coming out of a very hostile game and despite there being relatively heavy police and steward presence, a full-on ruck started if I remember correctly. I don't remember exactly what happened, was it a ruck and someone taking it too far to cause others to get involved or something else but it shocked me to see this happening when the majority of the Chelsea fans were coming out of the family section. It wasn't like handbags or a couple of people involved, it was very toxic and it was one of the few times I genuinely felt unsafe at the football. I'm perhaps treading a fine line here as it may appear I'm advocating hooliganism but you don't need to have fists flying for that hostility to be created, the abuse can be more than enough. It's perhaps the potential of it happening or the fact that the heavy police presence adds to the hostility involved.

We know the rep Arsenal fans can get but I remember one year when they came to Stamford Bridge and they were ballistic and looking at one-off visits only, they are still one of the best sets of English supporters I've seen come to Stamford Bridge in terms of noise and overall atmosphere. Looking at particular one-off visits alone that is. 

3 hours ago, Storts said:

I think it depends. My friends who went to Madrid last year for the final our two clubs were in said the incredibly non-hostile and friendly party atmosphere of that final was pretty unlike any other match they'd ever been to. Granted, maybe their perspective's a bit different than yours because they were elated at the final whistle whereas losing a CL final is truly fucking horrible because you have to deal with the hope dying and killing your insides.

13 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

West Ham definitely hate Tottenham more than Tottenham hate West Ham. Tottenham only seem to hate them on the day they play each other and the other 363 days of the year, they’re more bothered about Arsenal and Chelsea. That’s how I see it, anyway. 

I believe that’s the impression given, but in my experience the hate is mutual. No argument that the rivalry from them to us is less important than Chelsea or Arsenal. 

I agree with @Storts about the atmosphere being better because of real hostility. In fact I’d go as far as to say it’s one of the major draws to following a club. Imagine rivalries like Man United and Liverpool, Rangers and Celtic, Cardiff and Swansea if it didn’t exist? 

Derby games are the most sought after tickets as well from groundhoppers. I plan to get my Old Firm fix next season, even if I have to pay through the nose. 

On 25/06/2020 at 23:37, Smiley Culture said:

West Ham definitely hate Tottenham more than Tottenham hate West Ham. Tottenham only seem to hate them on the day they play each other and the other 363 days of the year, they’re more bothered about Arsenal and Chelsea. That’s how I see it, anyway. 

When I went to watch arsenal vs west ham the whole stadium was chanting,"we hate Tottenham" 

On 26/06/2020 at 12:49, West of West Ham said:

I believe that’s the impression given, but in my experience the hate is mutual. No argument that the rivalry from them to us is less important than Chelsea or Arsenal. 

I agree with @Storts about the atmosphere being better because of real hostility. In fact I’d go as far as to say it’s one of the major draws to following a club. Imagine rivalries like Man United and Liverpool, Rangers and Celtic, Cardiff and Swansea if it didn’t exist? 

Derby games are the most sought after tickets as well from groundhoppers. I plan to get my Old Firm fix next season, even if I have to pay through the nose. 

I think the rivalry is bigger between us and spurs but only because of geography.  You have your main rivalry with millwall I guess?

31 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

We don't have any rivalries anymore. You have to actually do something to form them.

Well it's more because the team's local to you are in lower leagues. Would you secretly rather have Sunderland in the premier league as long as you finish above them?

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well it's more because the team's local to you are in lower leagues. Would you secretly rather have Sunderland in the premier league as long as you finish above them?

We've had a fair few rivalries in my life that aren't about local derbies. They last a short time and get no national attention.

Our last short rivalry was Huddersfield Town.

17 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

We've had a fair few rivalries in my life that aren't about local derbies. They last a short time and get no national attention.

Our last short rivalry was Huddersfield Town.

Don't worry if you get rich  everyone  will hate you 

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Don't worry if you get rich  everyone  will hate you 

It won’t even be because they’re rich, I’ll hate them for being owned by MBS because he’s an awful awful person that wants to see the country my mum is from raped by the Americans and split up.

But the league didn’t have the balls to say no to a Putin money launderer or to the royal family of Abu Dhabi... so they’re not going to say no to the Saudi royal family either.

But yeah, it’ll absolutely put them around the top of the hated club’s list.

Archived