• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

2023 Women's World Cup Hosts

Recommended Posts

To be decided today. Is between Columbia and a joint Australia / New Zealand bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like an easy choice to go with AUS/NZ considering the infrastructure already in place there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep! Good stuff! UEFA voted for Colombia though. Wtf.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There was a big controversy regarding Colombia, which made me laugh a bit because it's all a bit stereotypical and hypocritical from FIFA.

Quote

 The Colombia bid scored low risk in just five of 17 categories, scoring medium in 11 and high risk in one. Colombia scored medium risk in transport, safety and security, health, medical and anti-doping and more

Firstly, Colombia is way safer now than it used to be. It's not the Narcos shit that it used to be.

Secondly, lol at FIFA ranking safety and security given the 2022 World Cup scandal, and the fact they gave a World Cup to South Africa and Brazil, and youth World Cups to Egypt, Nigeria and Peru. 

Anyways, I think AUS and NZ did deserve it but it seems they were a bit against Colombia really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lmao Colombia isn't safe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised it hasn't been to Japan yet for hosting but that's okay AUS/NZ is going to be good as they've got the infra and facilities to put on a good WC show. Wonder how much progress their Women's NT will make before then. They're not a bad outfit they just can't compete with the powerhouse that will probably win it again which is the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will interesting to see how they well they do in hosting it. I've always thought Australia would have been a great host for the men's world cup so hopefully this will help that as well. But I think a lot of women play football in both countries so hopefully it will be good.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mpache said:

There was a big controversy regarding Colombia, which made me laugh a bit because it's all a bit stereotypical and hypocritical from FIFA.

Firstly, Colombia is way safer now than it used to be. It's not the Narcos shit that it used to be.

Secondly, lol at FIFA ranking safety and security given the 2022 World Cup scandal, and the fact they gave a World Cup to South Africa and Brazil, and youth World Cups to Egypt, Nigeria and Peru. 

Anyways, I think AUS and NZ did deserve it but it seems they were a bit against Colombia really.

Was just reading an article in the most dangerous countries to live. Columbia is according to research the 21st most dangerous country to live in. But Russia is 20th so you have a good point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/06/2020 at 07:17, Mpache said:

There was a big controversy regarding Colombia, which made me laugh a bit because it's all a bit stereotypical and hypocritical from FIFA.

Firstly, Colombia is way safer now than it used to be. It's not the Narcos shit that it used to be.

Secondly, lol at FIFA ranking safety and security given the 2022 World Cup scandal, and the fact they gave a World Cup to South Africa and Brazil, and youth World Cups to Egypt, Nigeria and Peru. 

Anyways, I think AUS and NZ did deserve it but it seems they were a bit against Colombia really.

According to the Global Peace Index, as of 2019, Colombia comes in at 143rd. One spot below...Palestine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Was just reading an article in the most dangerous countries to live. Columbia is according to research the 21st most dangerous country to live in. But Russia is 20th so you have a good point 

No he doesn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toinho said:

According to the Global Peace Index, as of 2019, Colombia comes in at 143rd. One spot below...Palestine. 

Yeah... most of the danger is in the isolated areas in the west. Places where the World Cup wouldn't even touch. If they keep it in the big cities like Medellin, Bogota, Barranquilla, Cali and Bucaramanga theres no danger.

And if we're looking at global peace index, let's specify Ukraine and Mexico as below or not too far above Colombia. Even Russia is below Colombia!

3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

No he doesn’t.

Have you been to Colombia by chance? Guess what, I have. My dad has even lived there. I have friends who live or have lived there, they say it's like any other country really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That global peace index had Mauritania and Brazil above the United States xD

I can't say scientific rankings aren't accurate, but it's really just measurements by area. If there is conflict in one area but not in the other than it raises it. Not trustworthy at all for hosting world cups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Was just reading an article in the most dangerous countries to live. Columbia is according to research the 21st most dangerous country to live in. But Russia is 20th so you have a good point 

To live in is very different than to visit.

Colombia is safer than most South American countries nowadays. I have a British friend who lives in Medellin who claims he feels safer there than in London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Yeah... most of the danger is in the isolated areas in the west. Places where the World Cup wouldn't even touch. If they keep it in the big cities like Medellin, Bogota, Barranquilla, Cali and Bucaramanga theres no danger.

And if we're looking at global peace index, let's specify Ukraine and Mexico as below or not too far above Colombia. Even Russia is below Colombia!

Have you been to Colombia by chance? Guess what, I have. My dad has even lived there. I have friends who live or have lived there, they say it's like any other country really.

Just going on reports from mates who have travelled through extensively. 
 

I think the right call was made on the WC, I haven’t been able to say that for many years! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mpache said:

To live in is very different than to visit.

Colombia is safer than most South American countries nowadays. I have a British friend who lives in Medellin who claims he feels safer there than in London.

Strange how no list agrees with you, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toinho said:

Just going on reports from mates who have travelled through extensively. 
 

I think the right call was made on the WC, I haven’t been able to say that for many years! 

AUS and NZ deserved the World Cup for sure, but I think excuses were made for Colombia by the scoring system. Saying it's not "safe" when worse countries were given FIFA tournaments is laughable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Strange how no list agrees with you, though. 

Not strange at all. The western part of Colombia is very rough, they have tons of Guerrilla groups that terrorize the area. They are isolated though and out of the way completely. If you go to the big cities it’s like going anywhere else in South America. Has crime but it could be way worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

AUS and NZ deserved the World Cup for sure, but I think excuses were made for Colombia by the scoring system. Saying it's not "safe" when worse countries were given FIFA tournaments is laughable.

Not going to argue about South Africa and Russia. Just don’t think Colombia would be as safe as you’re saying. It’s okay for you to speak about it as a South American who speaks their language and knows about the place. Tourists or lots of women from around the world potentially visiting would be a different story imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Not going to argue about South Africa and Russia. Just don’t think Colombia would be as safe as you’re saying. It’s okay for you to speak about it as a South American who speaks their language and knows about the place. Tourists or lots of women from around the world potentially visiting would be a different story imo. 

Nigeria, Egypt and Brazil were also given World Cups in their respective category.

In terms of just petty street crime, Brazil is the most dangerous country in the world. Just look at how many cities there are in the top 50 for murder rates. Colombia is crime free compared to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like the world in general is not as dangerous and scary as some news reports or official travel advice would make you believe... as long as you use common sense and avoid the sketchiest parts of any country/city/region, you're going to be fine pretty much anywhere. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Nigeria, Egypt and Brazil were also given World Cups in their respective category.

In terms of just petty street crime, Brazil is the most dangerous country in the world. Just look at how many cities there are in the top 20 for murder rates. Colombia is crime free compared to them.

Not for female tournaments? 
 

Although Jordan and Uruguay have held junior women’s world cups I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nudge said:

I feel like the world in general is not as dangerous and scary as some news reports or official travel advice would make you believe... as long as you use common sense and avoid the sketchiest parts of any country/city/region, you're going to be fine pretty much anywhere. 

I mean the fact you need to use common sense and avoid areas means the world isn’t as safe as you’re saying. I guess, I’m just too privileged having lived in two countries where I genuinely have never had to avoid any area, ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toinho said:

Not for female tournaments? 
 

Although Jordan and Uruguay have held junior women’s world cups I think. 

Colombia is the best candidate for a womens tournament in South America, so if you want to host it somewhere here, it has to be there. They've brought tons of people to womens games over the years and is has built a good program for players. So they've worked for this, obviously not on the level of Australia but it's better than anywhere else on the continent.

The 2 safest South American countries (Argentina and Uruguay) are also some of the most sexist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mpache said:

Colombia is the best candidate for a womens tournament in South America, so if you want to host it somewhere here, it has to be there. They've brought tons of people to womens games over the years and is has built a good program for players. So they've worked for this, obviously not on the level of Australia but it's better than anywhere else on the continent.

The 2 safest South American countries (Argentina and Uruguay) are also some of the most sexist.

I’m sure they’ll get the next one, considering one huge factor - south America hasn’t hosted a full women’s World Cup (to my knowledge). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I mean the fact you need to use common sense and avoid areas means the world isn’t as safe as you’re saying. I guess, I’m just too privileged having lived in two countries where I genuinely have never had to avoid any area, ever.

To be fair, compared to Australia then yes Colombia is dangerous, but it's still not quite as bad as the media and lists makes you believe. It's about as dangerous as Peru according to many. I lived in Peru for 3 years by myself, and I went to all sorts of sketchy areas and I haven't ever been mugged. A lot of my friends there haven't either, so it's just about being careful really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mpache said:

To be fair, compared to Australia then yes Colombia is dangerous, but it's still not quite as bad as the media and lists makes you believe. It's about as dangerous as Peru according to many. I lived in Peru for 3 years by myself, and I went to all sorts of sketchy areas and I haven't ever been mugged. A lot of my friends there haven't either, so it's just about being careful really.

Fair points. I get ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toinho said:

I mean the fact you need to use common sense and avoid areas means the world isn’t as safe as you’re saying. I guess, I’m just too privileged having lived in two countries where I genuinely have never had to avoid any area, ever.

I'm not saying the world is some safe and happy fairytale place, it's absolutely not, and some places are bound to be safer than some others. But I feel that the danger is often extremely exaggerated anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I’m sure they’ll get the next one, considering one huge factor - south America hasn’t hosted a full women’s World Cup (to my knowledge). 

Oh believe me, I'm happy Australia won it because they have even focused on their womens programs more than the mens (arguably) and it's a better candidate as a whole if you exclude the time zone.

My only argument here really is that FIFA's ignorance and having watched too much Narcos has led to some controversy regarding Colombia when there's worse countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nudge said:

I'm not saying the world is some safe and happy fairytale place, it's absolutely not, and some places are bound to be safer than some others. But I feel that the danger is often extremely exaggerated anyway.

Would agree with the last sentence.

I didn’t feel safe in Phnom Penh! But did in Siem Reap. Interesting world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement