talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2023 Women's World Cup Hosts

football forum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a big controversy regarding Colombia, which made me laugh a bit because it's all a bit stereotypical and hypocritical from FIFA.

The Colombia bid scored low risk in just five of 17 categories, scoring medium in 11 and high risk in one. Colombia scored medium risk in transport, safety and security, health, medical and anti-doping and more

Firstly, Colombia is way safer now than it used to be. It's not the Narcos shit that it used to be.

Secondly, lol at FIFA ranking safety and security given the 2022 World Cup scandal, and the fact they gave a World Cup to South Africa and Brazil, and youth World Cups to Egypt, Nigeria and Peru. 

Anyways, I think AUS and NZ did deserve it but it seems they were a bit against Colombia really.

• Subscriber

Surprised it hasn't been to Japan yet for hosting but that's okay AUS/NZ is going to be good as they've got the infra and facilities to put on a good WC show. Wonder how much progress their Women's NT will make before then. They're not a bad outfit they just can't compete with the powerhouse that will probably win it again which is the US.

It will interesting to see how they well they do in hosting it. I've always thought Australia would have been a great host for the men's world cup so hopefully this will help that as well. But I think a lot of women play football in both countries so hopefully it will be good.

14 hours ago, Mpache said:

There was a big controversy regarding Colombia, which made me laugh a bit because it's all a bit stereotypical and hypocritical from FIFA.

Firstly, Colombia is way safer now than it used to be. It's not the Narcos shit that it used to be.

Secondly, lol at FIFA ranking safety and security given the 2022 World Cup scandal, and the fact they gave a World Cup to South Africa and Brazil, and youth World Cups to Egypt, Nigeria and Peru. 

Anyways, I think AUS and NZ did deserve it but it seems they were a bit against Colombia really.

Was just reading an article in the most dangerous countries to live. Columbia is according to research the 21st most dangerous country to live in. But Russia is 20th so you have a good point 

On 26/06/2020 at 07:17, Mpache said:

According to the Global Peace Index, as of 2019, Colombia comes in at 143rd. One spot below...Palestine. 

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Was just reading an article in the most dangerous countries to live. Columbia is according to research the 21st most dangerous country to live in. But Russia is 20th so you have a good point 

No he doesn’t.

Just now, Toinho said:

According to the Global Peace Index, as of 2019, Colombia comes in at 143rd. One spot below...Palestine. 

Yeah... most of the danger is in the isolated areas in the west. Places where the World Cup wouldn't even touch. If they keep it in the big cities like Medellin, Bogota, Barranquilla, Cali and Bucaramanga theres no danger.

And if we're looking at global peace index, let's specify Ukraine and Mexico as below or not too far above Colombia. Even Russia is below Colombia!

3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

No he doesn’t.

Have you been to Colombia by chance? Guess what, I have. My dad has even lived there. I have friends who live or have lived there, they say it's like any other country really.

That global peace index had Mauritania and Brazil above the United States xD

I can't say scientific rankings aren't accurate, but it's really just measurements by area. If there is conflict in one area but not in the other than it raises it. Not trustworthy at all for hosting world cups.

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To live in is very different than to visit.

Colombia is safer than most South American countries nowadays. I have a British friend who lives in Medellin who claims he feels safer there than in London.

20 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Yeah... most of the danger is in the isolated areas in the west. Places where the World Cup wouldn't even touch. If they keep it in the big cities like Medellin, Bogota, Barranquilla, Cali and Bucaramanga theres no danger.

And if we're looking at global peace index, let's specify Ukraine and Mexico as below or not too far above Colombia. Even Russia is below Colombia!

Have you been to Colombia by chance? Guess what, I have. My dad has even lived there. I have friends who live or have lived there, they say it's like any other country really.

Just going on reports from mates who have travelled through extensively. 

I think the right call was made on the WC, I haven’t been able to say that for many years! 

17 minutes ago, Mpache said:

To live in is very different than to visit.

Colombia is safer than most South American countries nowadays. I have a British friend who lives in Medellin who claims he feels safer there than in London.

Strange how no list agrees with you, though. 

Just now, Toinho said:

Just going on reports from mates who have travelled through extensively. 

I think the right call was made on the WC, I haven’t been able to say that for many years! 

AUS and NZ deserved the World Cup for sure, but I think excuses were made for Colombia by the scoring system. Saying it's not "safe" when worse countries were given FIFA tournaments is laughable.

4 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Strange how no list agrees with you, though. 

Not strange at all. The western part of Colombia is very rough, they have tons of Guerrilla groups that terrorize the area. They are isolated though and out of the way completely. If you go to the big cities it’s like going anywhere else in South America. Has crime but it could be way worse.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

AUS and NZ deserved the World Cup for sure, but I think excuses were made for Colombia by the scoring system. Saying it's not "safe" when worse countries were given FIFA tournaments is laughable.

Not going to argue about South Africa and Russia. Just don’t think Colombia would be as safe as you’re saying. It’s okay for you to speak about it as a South American who speaks their language and knows about the place. Tourists or lots of women from around the world potentially visiting would be a different story imo. 

10 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Not going to argue about South Africa and Russia. Just don’t think Colombia would be as safe as you’re saying. It’s okay for you to speak about it as a South American who speaks their language and knows about the place. Tourists or lots of women from around the world potentially visiting would be a different story imo. 

Nigeria, Egypt and Brazil were also given World Cups in their respective category.

In terms of just petty street crime, Brazil is the most dangerous country in the world. Just look at how many cities there are in the top 50 for murder rates. Colombia is crime free compared to them.

• Subscriber

I feel like the world in general is not as dangerous and scary as some news reports or official travel advice would make you believe... as long as you use common sense and avoid the sketchiest parts of any country/city/region, you're going to be fine pretty much anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Nigeria, Egypt and Brazil were also given World Cups in their respective category.

In terms of just petty street crime, Brazil is the most dangerous country in the world. Just look at how many cities there are in the top 20 for murder rates. Colombia is crime free compared to them.

Not for female tournaments? 

Although Jordan and Uruguay have held junior women’s world cups I think. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I feel like the world in general is not as dangerous and scary as some news reports or official travel advice would make you believe... as long as you use common sense and avoid the sketchiest parts of any country/city/region, you're going to be fine pretty much anywhere. 

I mean the fact you need to use common sense and avoid areas means the world isn’t as safe as you’re saying. I guess, I’m just too privileged having lived in two countries where I genuinely have never had to avoid any area, ever.

Just now, Toinho said:

Not for female tournaments? 

Although Jordan and Uruguay have held junior women’s world cups I think. 

Colombia is the best candidate for a womens tournament in South America, so if you want to host it somewhere here, it has to be there. They've brought tons of people to womens games over the years and is has built a good program for players. So they've worked for this, obviously not on the level of Australia but it's better than anywhere else on the continent.

The 2 safest South American countries (Argentina and Uruguay) are also some of the most sexist.

Just now, Mpache said:

Colombia is the best candidate for a womens tournament in South America, so if you want to host it somewhere here, it has to be there. They've brought tons of people to womens games over the years and is has built a good program for players. So they've worked for this, obviously not on the level of Australia but it's better than anywhere else on the continent.

The 2 safest South American countries (Argentina and Uruguay) are also some of the most sexist.

I’m sure they’ll get the next one, considering one huge factor - south America hasn’t hosted a full women’s World Cup (to my knowledge). 

Archived