talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2023 Women's World Cup Hosts

football forum

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I mean the fact you need to use common sense and avoid areas means the world isn’t as safe as you’re saying. I guess, I’m just too privileged having lived in two countries where I genuinely have never had to avoid any area, ever.

To be fair, compared to Australia then yes Colombia is dangerous, but it's still not quite as bad as the media and lists makes you believe. It's about as dangerous as Peru according to many. I lived in Peru for 3 years by myself, and I went to all sorts of sketchy areas and I haven't ever been mugged. A lot of my friends there haven't either, so it's just about being careful really.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mpache said:

To be fair, compared to Australia then yes Colombia is dangerous, but it's still not quite as bad as the media and lists makes you believe. It's about as dangerous as Peru according to many. I lived in Peru for 3 years by myself, and I went to all sorts of sketchy areas and I haven't ever been mugged. A lot of my friends there haven't either, so it's just about being careful really.

Fair points. I get ya.

• Subscriber
Just now, Toinho said:

I mean the fact you need to use common sense and avoid areas means the world isn’t as safe as you’re saying. I guess, I’m just too privileged having lived in two countries where I genuinely have never had to avoid any area, ever.

I'm not saying the world is some safe and happy fairytale place, it's absolutely not, and some places are bound to be safer than some others. But I feel that the danger is often extremely exaggerated anyway.

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I’m sure they’ll get the next one, considering one huge factor - south America hasn’t hosted a full women’s World Cup (to my knowledge). 

Oh believe me, I'm happy Australia won it because they have even focused on their womens programs more than the mens (arguably) and it's a better candidate as a whole if you exclude the time zone.

My only argument here really is that FIFA's ignorance and having watched too much Narcos has led to some controversy regarding Colombia when there's worse countries.

Just now, nudge said:

I'm not saying the world is some safe and happy fairytale place, it's absolutely not, and some places are bound to be safer than some others. But I feel that the danger is often extremely exaggerated anyway.

Would agree with the last sentence.

I didn’t feel safe in Phnom Penh! But did in Siem Reap. Interesting world.

Just now, Mpache said:

Oh believe me, I'm happy Australia won it because they have even focused on their womens programs more than the mens (arguably) and it's a better candidate as a whole if you exclude the time zone.

My only argument here really is that FIFA's ignorance and having watched too much Narcos has led to some controversy regarding Colombia when there's worse countries.

At least UEFA voted for Colombia lol 

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I wouldn't be surprised if if had to do with them hating the FFA, just like FIFA does according to some :D 

Surely the FFA and UEFA have little to no interaction!

I still can’t get over Qatar being given a World Cup though. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Would agree with the last sentence.

I didn’t feel safe in Phnom Penh! But did in Siem Reap. Interesting world.

I always felt completely safe in Phnom Penh. That despite experiencing some of the worst parts of the city too, including illegal brothels with dudes with guns and shite haha... That said, that's were common sense comes into play. I would never carry around any valuables or go alone to the darkest alleys at night. Other than that, always felt safe there, both alone and in company...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I always felt completely safe in Phnom Penh. That despite experiencing some of the worst parts of the city too, including illegal brothels with dudes with guns and shite haha... That said, that's were common sense comes into play. I would never carry around any valuables or go alone to the darkest alleys at night. Other than that, always felt safe there, both alone and in company...

Worst place I’ve been in my life. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Mpache said:

The only places I didn't feel safe were Hanoi, Rio Branco, Cerro del Pino (Lima's worst district) and some parts of Rio de Janeiro.

Why Hanoi? :o 

Just now, nudge said:

Why Hanoi? :o 

I'll answer all 4 just for posts sake.

Hanoi - Maybe it's just because I was 14 when I went and lived too privileged before that, but it was a bit of a culture shock and too densely populated via my memory. I also recall my finger could have been cut off thanks to a fan. I liked Ho Chi Minh even then, but I didn't like Hanoi. If I go back I might like it more.

Rio Branco - I loved this trip, but we were out at night where it felt like a curfew. We were told it was way too dangerous at night and as a result I didn't feel safe. I have never seen anything like it. Even in Lima people go out at night, so this was new to me.

Cerro del Pino - We were coming back from Universitario's training ground but my buddy who lived in a further district from me took me through his path and we were in a super dodgy area where all the buildings had graffiti, broken doors and windows and a disgusting floor. To make things worse my dad was constantly calling me, and I just did my best to ignore it so I didn't take my phone out. The bus came 40 minutes later. I don't think I was more scared in my life.

Rio de Janeiro - I didn't feel as in danger here as the others but I was younger and felt terrified by Rio's crime rate.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Hanoi - Maybe it's just because I was 14 when I went and lived too privileged before that, but it was a bit of a culture shock and too densely populated via my memory. I also recall my finger could have been cut off thanks to a fan. I liked Ho Chi Minh even then, but I didn't like Hanoi. If I go back I might like it more.

:4_joy: Do tell more... 

Just now, nudge said:

:4_joy: Do tell more... 

I put my hand up where there was a fan and I quickly reacted before it touched the fan. it was such a "phew" moment for me xD

Also don't think it was in Hanoi but a cow tried to charge at me somewhere in Vietnam, thanks to the idiot tour guide running across the field which made the cow chase me (since he was nearby)

Just now, Mpache said:

I put my hand up where there was a fan and I quickly reacted before it touched the fan. it was such a "phew" moment for me xD

Also don't think it was in Hanoi but a cow tried to charge at me somewhere in Vietnam, thanks to the idiot tour guide running across the field which made the cow chase me (since he was nearby)

So, Hanoi was dangerous because of the fan? 😂😂

• Administrator

Brian being chased by a cow in a field is a sight I'd love to see tbh xD

Maybe it was the cow's fan and didn't like Brian got too close to it :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Brian being chased by a cow in a field is a sight I'd love to see tbh xD

Maybe it was the cow's fan and didn't like Brian got too close to it :ph34r:

Well it was more of a trail, which is worse. I don't know why I said field, maybe I was just tired and at a loss for words!

14 hours ago, Mpache said:

Have you been to Colombia by chance? Guess what, I have. My dad has even lived there. I have friends who live or have lived there, they say it's like any other country really.

Yeah, they speak Spanish, know the culture and live there! Of course they don't think it is dangerous. Now send over several hundred thousand tourists they may have no idea what they are doing or where they are going, is it safe now? I've never been shot in Chicago but I know where the shitty neighbourhoods are, but if you went for a joyride and accidentally popped a flat tyre on a pothole in the west or south side, you may be fucked.

Archived