Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

2023 Women's World Cup Hosts

Just now, Mpache said:

Oh believe me, I'm happy Australia won it because they have even focused on their womens programs more than the mens (arguably) and it's a better candidate as a whole if you exclude the time zone.

My only argument here really is that FIFA's ignorance and having watched too much Narcos has led to some controversy regarding Colombia when there's worse countries.

At least UEFA voted for Colombia lol 

3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

At least UEFA voted for Colombia lol 

I wouldn't be surprised if if had to do with them hating the FFA, just like FIFA does according to some :D 

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I wouldn't be surprised if if had to do with them hating the FFA, just like FIFA does according to some :D 

Surely the FFA and UEFA have little to no interaction!

I still can’t get over Qatar being given a World Cup though. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Would agree with the last sentence.

I didn’t feel safe in Phnom Penh! But did in Siem Reap. Interesting world.

I always felt completely safe in Phnom Penh. That despite experiencing some of the worst parts of the city too, including illegal brothels with dudes with guns and shite haha... That said, that's were common sense comes into play. I would never carry around any valuables or go alone to the darkest alleys at night. Other than that, always felt safe there, both alone and in company...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I always felt completely safe in Phnom Penh. That despite experiencing some of the worst parts of the city too, including illegal brothels with dudes with guns and shite haha... That said, that's were common sense comes into play. I would never carry around any valuables or go alone to the darkest alleys at night. Other than that, always felt safe there, both alone and in company...

Worst place I’ve been in my life. 

The only places I didn't feel safe were Hanoi, Rio Branco, Cerro del Pino (Lima's worst district) and some parts of Rio de Janeiro.

Just now, Toinho said:

Worst place I’ve been in my life. 

:4_joy: Kind of curious now, where in PP did you go too???

Just now, Mpache said:

The only places I didn't feel safe were Hanoi, Rio Branco, Cerro del Pino (Lima's worst district) and some parts of Rio de Janeiro.

Why Hanoi? :o 

Just now, nudge said:

Why Hanoi? :o 

I'll answer all 4 just for posts sake.

Hanoi - Maybe it's just because I was 14 when I went and lived too privileged before that, but it was a bit of a culture shock and too densely populated via my memory. I also recall my finger could have been cut off thanks to a fan. I liked Ho Chi Minh even then, but I didn't like Hanoi. If I go back I might like it more.

Rio Branco - I loved this trip, but we were out at night where it felt like a curfew. We were told it was way too dangerous at night and as a result I didn't feel safe. I have never seen anything like it. Even in Lima people go out at night, so this was new to me.

Cerro del Pino - We were coming back from Universitario's training ground but my buddy who lived in a further district from me took me through his path and we were in a super dodgy area where all the buildings had graffiti, broken doors and windows and a disgusting floor. To make things worse my dad was constantly calling me, and I just did my best to ignore it so I didn't take my phone out. The bus came 40 minutes later. I don't think I was more scared in my life.

Rio de Janeiro - I didn't feel as in danger here as the others but I was younger and felt terrified by Rio's crime rate.

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Hanoi - Maybe it's just because I was 14 when I went and lived too privileged before that, but it was a bit of a culture shock and too densely populated via my memory. I also recall my finger could have been cut off thanks to a fan. I liked Ho Chi Minh even then, but I didn't like Hanoi. If I go back I might like it more.

:4_joy: Do tell more... 

Just now, nudge said:

Not sure if that’s Hanoi or your own fault, either way sounds Hanoing!

• Haha 1

Just now, nudge said:

I put my hand up where there was a fan and I quickly reacted before it touched the fan. it was such a "phew" moment for me xD

Also don't think it was in Hanoi but a cow tried to charge at me somewhere in Vietnam, thanks to the idiot tour guide running across the field which made the cow chase me (since he was nearby)

• Haha 1

Just now, Toinho said:

Not sure if that’s Hanoi or your own fault, either way sounds Hanoing!

Probably my own fault, but Hanoi had tons of fans like that.

Just now, Mpache said:

I put my hand up where there was a fan and I quickly reacted before it touched the fan. it was such a "phew" moment for me xD

Also don't think it was in Hanoi but a cow tried to charge at me somewhere in Vietnam, thanks to the idiot tour guide running across the field which made the cow chase me (since he was nearby)

So, Hanoi was dangerous because of the fan? 😂😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

So, Hanoi was dangerous because of the fan? 😂😂

Nah I'm not sure if it was "dangerous" but I didn't feel safe for a couple of reasons. The fan and the cow were 2 :) 

This conversation deserves its own thread. Also, as an animal abuse recipient (being the animal abused me) ... fuck monkeys. 

Brian being chased by a cow in a field is a sight I'd love to see tbh xD

Maybe it was the cow's fan and didn't like Brian got too close to it :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Brian being chased by a cow in a field is a sight I'd love to see tbh xD

Maybe it was the cow's fan and didn't like Brian got too close to it :ph34r:

Well it was more of a trail, which is worse. I don't know why I said field, maybe I was just tired and at a loss for words!

Do people take these World X indexes seriously ?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Mpache said:

Have you been to Colombia by chance? Guess what, I have. My dad has even lived there. I have friends who live or have lived there, they say it's like any other country really.

Yeah, they speak Spanish, know the culture and live there! Of course they don't think it is dangerous. Now send over several hundred thousand tourists they may have no idea what they are doing or where they are going, is it safe now? I've never been shot in Chicago but I know where the shitty neighbourhoods are, but if you went for a joyride and accidentally popped a flat tyre on a pothole in the west or south side, you may be fucked.

On 26/06/2020 at 04:57, Spike said:

lmao Colombia isn't safe

It's probably safer than northern England and that has hosted a Women's Euro's.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

It's probably safer than northern England and that has hosted a Women's Euro's.

Colombia is in the top twenty  for murders. 25 times more than the UK.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Colombia is in the top twenty  for murders. 25 times more than the UK.

I'd like to know how many of those are in the northern and Andean parts of the country.

I'm willing to bet the crime is in places like Buenaventura, Cucuta, Valle del Cauca and La Guajira. Either on the west Guerrila-full part of the country or on the border with conflicted Venezuela.

Go to Bogota, Medellin, Barranquilla and even parts of Cali and it's completely normal like any other country. The numbers are inflated by the most isolated regions of the country which a World Cup wouldn't be touching. 

Not only that but Colombia has a massive population. 2nd biggest in South America.

Anyways I looked it up in case I was missing anything.

Colombia has 3 cities in the top 50 for murders. Cali has the most murders which is definitely an avoid in that case. However, the other 2 on the list are Cucuta (on the border with Venezuela) and Palmira (again, in the west). 

If we're looking at the top 25 countries for murders, let me raise you that Brazil and Mexico are above Colombia. Former who has hosted the 2014 World Cup and just recently the U17's. Latter has had 2 World Cups, a youth World Cup and is getting a 3rd senior World Cup. They suffer the same issue as Colombia where some regions are terrible and the others are like any other country, though their big cities do get it worse overall and also have a bigger population.

This is all in argument to FIFA's flawed and hypocritical logic. Do I think Australia deserved it? Absolutely. What I DON'T think is that Colombia should have been written off because of "safety".

Just now, Mpache said:

I'd like to know how many of those are in the northern and Andean parts of the country.

I'm willing to bet the crime is in places like Buenaventura, Cucuta, Valle del Cauca and La Guajira. Either on the west Guerrila-full part of the country or on the border with conflicted Venezuela.

Go to Bogota, Medellin, Barranquilla and even parts of Cali and it's completely normal like any other country. The numbers are inflated by the most isolated regions of the country which a World Cup wouldn't be touching. 

Not only that but Colombia has a massive population. 2nd biggest in South America.

Anyways I looked it up in case I was missing anything.

Colombia has 3 cities in the top 50 for murders. Cali has the most murders which is definitely an avoid in that case. However, the other 2 on the list are Cucuta (on the border with Venezuela) and Palmira (again, in the west). 

If we're looking at the top 25 countries for murders, let me raise you that Brazil and Mexico are above Colombia. Former who has hosted the 2014 World Cup and just recently the U17's. Latter has had 2 World Cups, a youth World Cup and is getting a 3rd senior World Cup. They suffer the same issue as Colombia where some regions are terrible and the others are like any other country, though their big cities do get it worse overall and also have a bigger population.

This is all in argument to FIFA's flawed and hypocritical logic. Do I think Australia deserved it? Absolutely. What I DON'T think is that Colombia should have been written off because of "safety".

Fuck Brazil and Mexico, tbqh. Two nukes wasted on Japan.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Fuck Brazil and Mexico, tbqh. Two nukes wasted on Japan.

Regarding that, I mentioned Mexico is only really dangerous in some areas (mostly the cartel driven ones like Sinaloa and Baja California) and places like Mexico City or Cancun are totally normal but do have their fair share of crime.

Brazil is dangerous everywhere though. When I went to Rio Branco, I was assuming it would be a sleepy town but that doesn't exist in Brazil it appears. Everywhere is just as dangerous. Rio Branco I think is the 4th most dangerous city there and the 27th in the world.

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

Regarding that, I mentioned Mexico is only really dangerous in some areas (mostly the cartel driven ones like Sinaloa and Baja California) and places like Mexico City or Cancun are totally normal but do have their fair share of crime.

Brazil is dangerous everywhere though. When I went to Rio Branco, I was assuming it would be a sleepy town but that doesn't exist in Brazil it appears. Everywhere is just as dangerous. Rio Branco I think is the 4th most dangerous city there and the 27th in the world.

I don't think either place should host a cup. I imagine Argentina and Uruguay are safer? I'd wager that Peru and Bolivia would be safer as well but the climate would negate any chance of hosting. South Africa shouldn't have hosted as well, though I suppose they handled it well. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I don't think either place should host a cup. I imagine Argentina and Uruguay are safer? I'd wager that Peru and Bolivia would be safer as well but the climate would negate any chance of hosting. South Africa shouldn't have hosted as well, though I suppose they handled it well. 

That's fair, my argument was going to FIFA's flawed and hypocritical logic though!

If Colombia is too dangerous to host a cup, then what does that make of some previous places that have hosted?

Just now, Mpache said:

That's fair, my argument was going to FIFA's flawed and hypocritical logic though!

If Colombia is too dangerous to host a cup, then what does that make of some previous places that have hosted?

Better at bribes

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1