Draws - 17
Burnley - 18

Reverse Fixture
Burnley 0-2 Crystal Palace

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Ouch. Looked painful for Brownhill with Ayew's fore-arm going in to his face but I don't think there's intent or that it's deliberate.

The way he looks at Brownhill's head just as he gets up and then immediately throws the forearm makes it look kinda deliberate.

I think the fact that it wasn't his elbow that really made contact has saved him there. 

• Administrator

Goal Burnley!!

Must say it's unexpected for them to go in the lead as their squad is totally depleted. They've done alright there though and better than the home side overall. 

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace 0-1 (Mee, 62") Burnley - Monday 29th June, 2020
  • Subscriber

This has been very "Palace Burnley". Just the wrong result, a total smash and grab if Burnley see this out. Palace have a lot more threat and flair in attack than they get credit for due to having Hodgson as manager.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

This has been very "Palace Burnley". Just the wrong result, a total smash and grab if Burnley see this out. Palace have a lot more threat and flair in attack than they get credit for due to having Hodgson as manager.

Other than Zaha where is the threat or flair?

If Zaha flops on the day then it seems like Palace look out of ideas.

Agree it is very Palace Burnley. Stuck to the expected standard in that respect. More attrition than excitement.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace 0-1 Burnley - Monday 29th June, 2020
  • Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Other than Zaha where is the threat or flair?

If Zaha flops on the day then it seems like Palace look out of ideas.

Agree it is very Palace Burnley. Stuck to the expected standard in that respect. More attrition than excitement.

Ayew, Van Aanholt, Meyer, all very tidy players. I'd distinguish them from Burnley who are a proper old school Stoke with one slightly flashy winger in McNeil. Palace have a reputation as being a similar side I'd say but are significantly easier on the eye. Threat may not have been the best word to use.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Palace are only any good away. They're absolutely horrible to watch at home.

Id argue we are not good to watch away either.

Yesterday summed up every reason why Roy Hodgson has a ceiling and at 9th we have hit it. We played with three defensive midfielders against a Burnley side, who usually have less off the ball than ourselves, and were missing several key players. We had the opportunity to make five substitues against a team that cannot realistically make more than one, but we chose to make two. He STILL doesnt pick Max Meyer or Jairo Riedewald in a game where we should have more of the ball. He doesnt encourage us to attack until its far too late.

Its no secret we need a massive overhaul very soon. My worry going forwards is that the objectives of Parish, Freedman et al. clash with the preferences of Roy Hodgson. Today we find out if we can have a Cat A academy, yet after the Liverpool thrashing we have a Manager who suggests an academy player should feel honoured to play eight minutes. What young player in their right mind will want to play for us? Theres no path way to the first team at all. AWB only got a chance because we had 10+ injuries. When you think he now plays for Manchester United that id absolutely mad.

His refusal to play players signed by Dougie Freedman have been on going for two years. Yes, Roy is a safe pair of hands, but theres going to be a point where its not best for the future of the club. When that time comes, Steve Parish is going to have to make a difficult decision. Id argue it could have come this summer if we didnt have such a crap January transfer window.

• The topic was unpinned

For all the credit that Sheffield United get, and deserve, Burnley have gone under the radar all season and are in with a shout of European Football again. 

They’ll almost certainly go the way of Bolton, Charlton and Stoke when they lost Allardyce, Curbishley and Pulis should Dyche leave. 

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

For all the credit that Sheffield United get, and deserve, Burnley have gone under the radar all season and are in with a shout of European Football again. 

They’ll almost certainly go the way of Bolton, Charlton and Stoke when they lost Allardyce, Curbishley and Pulis should Dyche leave. 

I've heard all sorts of things said about dyche. But it really is incredible what he has done at Burnley. Not sure if he would work at a top club but he certainly deserves a chance at a mid table club. Would day west ham but there fans can be a bit toxic so not to sure who.

6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yesterday summed up every reason why Roy Hodgson has a ceiling and at 9th we have hit it. We played with three defensive midfielders against a Burnley side, who usually have less off the ball than ourselves, and were missing several key players. We had the opportunity to make five substitues against a team that cannot realistically make more than one, but we chose to make two. He STILL doesnt pick Max Meyer or Jairo Riedewald in a game where we should have more of the ball. He doesnt encourage us to attack until its far too late.

Its no secret we need a massive overhaul very soon. My worry going forwards is that the objectives of Parish, Freedman et al. clash with the preferences of Roy Hodgson. Today we find out if we can have a Cat A academy, yet after the Liverpool thrashing we have a Manager who suggests an academy player should feel honoured to play eight minutes. What young player in their right mind will want to play for us? Theres no path way to the first team at all. AWB only got a chance because we had 10+ injuries. When you think he now plays for Manchester United that id absolutely mad.

His refusal to play players signed by Dougie Freedman have been on going for two years. Yes, Roy is a safe pair of hands, but theres going to be a point where its not best for the future of the club. When that time comes, Steve Parish is going to have to make a difficult decision. Id argue it could have come this summer if we didnt have such a crap January transfer window.

I think it's great for clubs to aim for more. Not sure though if palace really are capable  of much more than  8th place finish on a regular basis though to be honest 

18 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I've heard all sorts of things said about dyche. But it really is incredible what he has done at Burnley. Not sure if he would work at a top club but he certainly deserves a chance at a mid table club. Would day west ham but there fans can be a bit toxic so not to sure who.

Seen Palace and West Ham linked with him but he should avoid both. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Me and a mate have some relatively interesting longish chats about some teams, totally randomly, and we both came onto Crystal Palace and have concluded that you are likely to be down within three years. That squad, and manager, is just far too old - it's quite likely that a lot of them drop off at once and that could spell real trouble. I think you're fine now, a pretty dull, but solid side, but there are simply no young players getting near your side, it's a team of relics.

I do think there was a case to sell Zaha in hindsight, I thought it at the time, it feels unthinkable but when you look how few goals he's actually got this season there's a part of me that thinks your fans overrate him a bit simply because he's about your only real spark - I am not doubting he is a good player, but maybe not as brilliant as people think, like I say - stands out in an overall pretty negative side. He's not getting any younger himself either. I feel like if you sold him and bought 3/4 players aged 21-24, including a couple of tricky wingers, then you would be a stronger team for it.

We also both think Milivojevic is your best player.

Your lack of forward planning, as well as lack of pathway to the first team, is setting you up for a real fall and I do think you're likely to drop in probably 2/3 seasons.

@Dan

- I think we could be in trouble as early as next season. To get to where we are we have relied on the likes of McArthur, McCarthy, Cahill etc to play to their full capacity. Theres no guarantee they can do that next season. Our saving grace is that there will be another 11 shit teams in this divison. 

- Ideally Wilfried would have gone last summer, but we couldnt let him and AWB go in the same window. Selling AWB made more sense. I think the summers before he was too influential to the way we played. It is frustrating being linked to Traore, ASM, Sarr and seeing them tear it up elsewhere. I imagine a similar situation happening with Chouiar.

- Luka has had better seasons than this one. The standard bearer has been Gary Cahill. Somebody i didnt want us to sign xD

- It looks like we havent done any forward planning since the FA Cup final really. That was four seasons ago now. It sounds like we set out to do that in January but none of the moves materialised. We have signed Nathan Ferguson which is a major step in the right direction and it could be our right back position set for about ten years. Im actually quite positive about how we approach the next transfer window as our penny pinching for the last three years has put us in a good financial position to take advantage of what could be some very big cut prices.

Archived