talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thiago Alcantara - Signs for Liverpool

48 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

In recent years it seems like the bosses have liked to have the players sorted out in the final year of their contracts but this is a little different. I think theres enough mutual respect that there is no issue with him staying another season, hes been in Munich for 7 years ish now and we do have a succession plan already in place as well. Id love to have him back for one more season, especially if we where looking at selling for some of the prices reported.

You could replace Thiago with Wijnaldum and Munich with Liverpool... and that pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

It's clear both clubs would like their respective midfielders to stay - but there's clearly the mutual respect that if the player wants to move on to try something new at a big club in a new league... the clubs aren't going to step in the way as long as they get what they consider to be a "fair" offer.

I'd be gutted to see Gini leave us, tbh. He's arguably our most underrated player. But man... getting Thiago as a replacement would be unreal. He can do what Gini does for us... and more. It'd be replacing a top midfielder with one of the top 3 players in the position. Also would be weird, because we very rarely sign players that are "World Class" before they get to us - for some players, like Torres, Suarez, Mane, Salah... we've signed them when they're "very good" and it's been after we signed them they showed their best form.

So it'd be certainly interesting/exciting to get someone that I'd actually consider world class before he joined us. I've just got very mixed feelings about it because... I mean it's really just sentimental, but I think Gini Wijnaldum is sort of a remarkably unsung player and I'd hope he'd end his career with us.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Thiago Alcantara - Leaving Bayern for Liverpool?

Why wasn’t this done ages ago? The  interest has been there, Liverpool have been pretty good at getting stuff done quick in recent years. Now he has to bed in with no pre season, hectic schedule etc. Obviously he’s good enough to excel whatever but seems mad when these things drag on all summer for the sake of not much money in the grand scheme of things.

6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why wasn’t this done ages ago? The  interest has been there, Liverpool have been pretty good at getting stuff done quick in recent years. Now he has to bed in with no pre season, hectic schedule etc. Obviously he’s good enough to excel whatever but seems mad when these things drag on all summer for the sake of not much money in the grand scheme of things.

I thought it would have been done not long after the Champions League final. The delay is probably Liverpool waiting to get close to getting one out. Even though Paul Joyce's tweet makes it sound like it doesn't depend on Wijnaldum going (I really I hope this is the case), it wouldn't surprise me if we hear Brewster is off in the next couple of days. Rumours yesterday were £25m with a buy back clause for him.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I thought it would have been done not long after the Champions League final. The delay is probably Liverpool waiting to get close to getting one out. Even though Paul Joyce's tweet makes it sound like it doesn't depend on Wijnaldum going (I really I hope this is the case), it wouldn't surprise me if we hear Brewster is off in the next couple of days. Rumours yesterday were £25m with a buy back clause for him.

Who the fuck is buying Brewster for £25m :o 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sheff United were mentioned yesterday. None of the usual reliables were reporting it so maybe take it with a pinch of salt but wouldn't surprise me if he's one who ends up going

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Bournemouth, probs. 

I’m very happy with this move though. Shame it’s probably too late for Chelsea, but nevertheless I’m chuffed we got him.  

Excellent signing, absolutely made up with it. Proven winner with a pedigree of the highest level for less than £30m. Michael Edwards has pulled it off again.

If we can now go and sign another wide player, that'll wrap up our summer beautifully.

2 hours ago, Tepmz said:

Excellent signing, absolutely made up with it. Proven winner with a pedigree of the highest level for less than £30m. Michael Edwards has pulled it off again.

If we can now go and sign another wide player, that'll wrap up our summer beautifully.

I’d like a backup CB too, someone who can push Gomez/Matip

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’d like a backup CB too, someone who can push Gomez/Matip

Signing a fourth choice centre back who is decent is very difficult though unless you're spending a fairly big sum. You certainly aren't getting anyone better than Fabinho will be there on the cheap. I'm fine with Fabinho as fourth choice, especially if we keep Wijnaldum too.

If Liverpool are able to do one more I'd defo prefer an attacking player. 

Having said that, fairly happy with the squad if we don't lose Wijnaldum.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Signing a fourth choice centre back who is decent is very difficult though unless you're spending a fairly big sum. You certainly aren't getting anyone better than Fabinho will be there on the cheap. I'm fine with Fabinho as fourth choice, especially if we keep Wijnaldum too.

If Liverpool are able to do one more I'd defo prefer an attacking player. 

Having said that, fairly happy with the squad if we don't lose Wijnaldum.

If Gomez and Matip are hurt at the same time, we’d be proper fucked though. And that sort of using a good DM as a makeshift CB utterly fucked City last season tbh.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If Gomez and Matip are hurt at the same time, we’d be proper fucked though. And that sort of using a good DM as a makeshift CB utterly fucked City last season tbh.

Wouldn't Fabinho slot in if that happens? The team can now operate with a roaming CM and a DM or both play the low-block when we want to close games out. He has played there before from my recollection.

• The title was changed to Thiago Alcantara - Signs for Liverpool

Archived