• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thiago Alcantara - Signs for Liverpool

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Joe "Anything Messi can do, Joe can do it better" Cole

xD that was such a horrible transfer for us even with him being on a free transfer. That quote from Gerrard I’m pretty sure was just a desperate attempt to quell a lot of fan discontent with the direction the club was going in.

I wish that signing had worked out. Cole was pretty brilliant before he joined us, we just got him when he had nothing left in the tank.

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's not very often Liverpool make a signing that is a genuine top class ready made player so this is exciting. Can't really think of the last one to be honest. 

Part of that boils down to price. Try getting Thiago a year ago and we'd be have to pay double I'd imagine. 

On 17/09/2020 at 05:54, DeadLinesman said:

Depressed to fuck. The Glazers are killing my football club.

Thiago chose Liverpool a long time ago. There's nothing United could do to convince him otherwise. 

He is a very smart guy, who carefully decides every step he takes in his career. He wanted to try Premier League football, but on his terms, at the club and with a coach he wanted to play for and in scenario he judged favorable to him.

When he left Barcelona, most were surprised, after all in 2013, Barcelona was the club every player dreamed of, but he was proven right and the gamble of going to Germany really paid off. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Closest I can think of is Torres, but he wasn’t as established as being as class as Thiago

Yeah I did think of him but like you say he wasn't as established, he was a lot younger and he was playing for a club finishing around the Europa League places (or UEFA Cup back then). We've just signed a top class player from one of the genuine European 'super' clubs and I can't think of us every doing that. Closest possibly Morientes? But given he hadn't played first half of the season and was loaned to Monaco the season before I don't think you can say him. Although it may have felt like he was one it at the time

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

Thiago chose Liverpool a long time ago. There's nothing United could do to convince him otherwise. 

He is a very smart guy, who carefully decides every step he takes in his career. He wanted to try Premier League football, but on his terms, at the club and with a coach he wanted to play for and in scenario he judged favorable to him.

When he left Barcelona, most were surprised, after all in 2013, Barcelona was the club every player dreamed of, but he was proven right and the gamble of going to Germany really paid off. 

I just meant in general. We’re signing players that won’t make a difference to any title challenge whilst the rest of the teams around us strengthen. It’s embarrassing. 

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

xD that was such a horrible transfer for us even with him being on a free transfer. That quote from Gerrard I’m pretty sure was just a desperate attempt to quell a lot of fan discontent with the direction the club was going in.

I wish that signing had worked out. Cole was pretty brilliant before he joined us, we just got him when he had nothing left in the tank.

Depressed me seeing what happened to Cole at Liverpool.

Superb business here by Liverpool once again. Surprised it took so long to get over the line, £25m for someone with his quality is an absolute no brainer even when you consider his age and contract situation. They were in need of some reinforcements, you can't rest on your laurels. You have to always keep improving even when you're at the top. 

14 hours ago, Spike said:

Depressed me seeing what happened to Cole at Liverpool.

He should never have joined us, but Hodgson made him an offer he couldn’t refuse financially.

But he went from a stable side, to a squad in crisis. He was told he was going to be a key player and regular starter for us, but he was so clearly physically not capable of starting too many matches in a row. His legs were gone and he started having both fitness and fatness issues.

And it didn’t help that Hodgson is probably the worst Liverpool manager since before Bill Shankly and had us playing some truly dire shit.

• Subscriber

Quote from KHR over the weekend. Nothing but respect.

The transfer took place on Thursday. When I got into the garage ten minutes later, he [Thiago] was standing in the place where I always park. He came up to me, hugged me and cried for five minutes . He said, "Thank you for allowing it". I was incredibly happy for him that he showed what quality he has in Lisbon. That he is leaving us is a great loss, both qualitatively and as a person. Still, we respected that he wanted to do something new. He always behaved very well. He said goodbye to all employees in an incredible way. Tears came to me too. I always had a very close relationship with him. It was almost like a family relationship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived