talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thiago Alcantara - Signs for Liverpool

Just now, ScoRoss said:

They've already bought one expensive, aging midfielder this summer. Do they need another with a scattering injury history?

Also, if Thiago left Barcelona at its highest, why would he return now when the club is in shambles? 

It seems to me that he really wants to try Premier League.

Thiago is not the kind of midfielder I'd normally associate with Klopp and this is why I want to see him at Liverpool. As good as they've been under Klopp, they've always seemed to lack that magical touch Thiago could provide in the midfield. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My worry about replacing Gini with Thiago is we'd be replacing a guy who plays consistently well... and I think he had the most appearances out of all our midfielders. Thiago's brilliant, but I've seen a stat that shows he's got something like 20-something appearances on average a season. So I'd be worried about replacing a consistent cog in our machine with someone but less consistent.

19 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I'm more curious how much Barcelona are paying for Gini, assuming its true of course.

Koeman probably wants to bring key players from the dutch NT to Barcelona. 

I mean, Barcelona presidential elections are in March, so he has to make a quick impact, otherwise the next president will sack him. 

In that context, it makes sense for him to bring players that are familiar to him. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we also see Depay at Barcelona.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My worry about replacing Gini with Thiago is we'd be replacing a guy who plays consistently well... and I think he had the most appearances out of all our midfielders. Thiago's brilliant, but I've seen a stat that shows he's got something like 20-something appearances on average a season. So I'd be worried about replacing a consistent cog in our machine with someone but less consistent.

I honestly cant recall in all the years hes been in Munich when his last injury free season was. He is a perfect fit imo for you lot but there definitely are injury concerns there. 

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Koeman probably wants to bring key players from the dutch NT to Barcelona. 

I mean, Barcelona presidential elections are in March, so he has to make a quick impact, otherwise the next president will sack him. 

In that context, it makes sense for him to bring players that are familiar to him. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we also see Depay at Barcelona.

Interesting point. I suppose its opportune the timing of it all too. He went after his current vice-captain as I am sure the club would have told him to go to hell if he ever tried to get the current Dutch NT captain. I don't think they'll sack him in March, they'll give him till the end of the season and sack him if things go south, hes too big of a figure there for them to be impulsive on the sacking.

Just to add to this, I'd imagine someone like Promes doing well at Barcelona but I doubt they'd want him there.

31 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Interesting point. I suppose its opportune the timing of it all too. He went after his current vice-captain as I am sure the club would have told him to go to hell if he ever tried to get the current Dutch NT captain. I don't think they'll sack him in March, they'll give him till the end of the season and sack him if things go south, hes too big of a figure there for them to be impulsive on the sacking.

Just to add to this, I'd imagine someone like Promes doing well at Barcelona but I doubt they'd want him there.

Victor Font, the main opposition candidate, is said to have an agreement with Xavi. If he wins the election, Xavi will be appointed as Barcelona coach.

Font also said this week that he will sack Koeman if he's elected, regardless of the results. 

The only way I see Barcelona keeping Koeman beyond this season is if he gets results immediately. 

Yes, he's a Barcelona legend but the fact he associated himself to Bartomeu will not be forgiven by many culés.

17 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

£30 m is a good price for Thiago,  don't know why it seems that there isn't a lot of interest.

Tbh I think we've tapped him up. Reports from Germany seem to say he's made his mind up on where he's going to go and he'll either join this summer if we can agree a fee, or he'll sign a pre-contract in January.

I think how desperate we are for him to come in depends on whether or not Gini stays and whether the Barcelona interest is genuine. I love Wijnaldum and I don't want him to go, but I can understand why he's playing hardball with his contract. Compared to his overall quality, he's probably underpaid with us and this is his last real chance at a big payday - I don't begrudge him wanting to get the most value out of his next contract. He's a good enough player to be paid like a top midfielder.

But if he's going to go, a player like Thiago would certainly soften the blow.

• Subscriber
On 24/08/2020 at 05:27, Mpache said:

@Viva la FCB how has Thiago progressed over the years? I thought he was decent but nothing special before this year, but fans know best. What would you say about that, barring his amazing 2019-20?

He's been at this level for years now. His biggest issue has always been fitness. I can't recall if he's ever had an injury free season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 13:27, Mpache said:

@Viva la FCB how has Thiago progressed over the years? I thought he was decent but nothing special before this year, but fans know best. What would you say about that, barring his amazing 2019-20?

He was the last real top drawer talent(before potentially Fati and Puig) to come from La Masia, who you just knew was always going to be class, but he's always been injury prone and can't seem to have a full season. The plan was also never to lose him, although Xavi and Iniesta were the main men at the time and then Cesc, who was being cramped into the team simply because of how much he cost, prevented Thiago from getting the minutes he was hungry for.

If he could stay fit, he'd be the perfect signing for Barcelona if he fancied a return, but the problem is keeping him fit. Players who can play 50 games would be more ideal.

But his talent and ability has always been there and when fit, there aren't many around who are better.

Bellerin, Thiago, Dani Olmo, Cucurella....all ex la masia and Barcelona would easily be a better team with them. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Breaking: No Update xD

Fabrizio Romano has been milking this transfer saga for so long now, without actually saying anything new for weeks.

Yeah I think its fairly obvious that if we get what we want for Wijnaldum, we will give that money to Bayern for Thiago. 

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I think its fairly obvious that if we get what we want for Wijnaldum, we will give that money to Bayern for Thiago. 

It also seems as though we are confident that if we do not make a move for him this summer, that he's agreed he'll sign a pre-contract with the proposed terms he'd be signing this summer in January and then join us on a free transfer.

Seems both us and Bayern are content to keep their respective players for their final years, then lose them after their contracts are up, than let them go for a price that they feel wouldn't be worth another year of that player (because apparently Barca floated buying Gini for an incredibly low offer... and all of our mouthpiece journos have basically said "no way in hell Liverpool accept a bid that low" - similar to Bayern's responses to some of the lower prices that have been quoted for Thiago).

For a long time now, though, it's looked like we're looking to sign Thiago.. if Gini does leave... but we're also interested in getting him on a free transfer next year if he doesn't make the move this year and nobody else makes a move for him. But who knows what our journos actually know tbh. Sometimes it seems like the journalists have no idea about any LFC related news until hours before it breaks... if that even.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It also seems as though we are confident that if we do not make a move for him this summer, that he's agreed he'll sign a pre-contract with the proposed terms he'd be signing this summer in January and then join us on a free transfer.

Seems both us and Bayern are content to keep their respective players for their final years, then lose them after their contracts are up, than let them go for a price that they feel wouldn't be worth another year of that player (because apparently Barca floated buying Gini for an incredibly low offer... and all of our mouthpiece journos have basically said "no way in hell Liverpool accept a bid that low" - similar to Bayern's responses to some of the lower prices that have been quoted for Thiago).

For a long time now, though, it's looked like we're looking to sign Thiago.. if Gini does leave... but we're also interested in getting him on a free transfer next year if he doesn't make the move this year and nobody else makes a move for him. But who knows what our journos actually know tbh. Sometimes it seems like the journalists have no idea about any LFC related news until hours before it breaks... if that even.

Thats how i like it tbh. A lot of our fans still keep quoting our mouthpieces from previous years but in actual fact they know fuck all, apart from snippets that the club want them to report which might help with negotiations. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Thats how i like it tbh. A lot of our fans still keep quoting our mouthpieces from previous years but in actual fact they know fuck all, apart from snippets that the club want them to report which might help with negotiations. 

I think Melissa Reddy doesn't know anything until Klopp actually gives her info... but I think James Pearce is pretty well clued in to what's happening at the club.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Melissa Reddy doesn't know anything until Klopp actually gives her info... but I think James Pearce is pretty well clued in to what's happening at the club.

He was when Rodgers was in charge, not so much now though. He certainly doesn't break news until shit is almost done. 

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In recent years it seems like the bosses have liked to have the players sorted out in the final year of their contracts but this is a little different. I think theres enough mutual respect that there is no issue with him staying another season, hes been in Munich for 7 years ish now and we do have a succession plan already in place as well. Id love to have him back for one more season, especially if we where looking at selling for some of the prices reported.

• The title was changed to Thiago Alcantara - Signs for Liverpool

Archived