talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thiago Alcantara - Signs for Liverpool

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Wouldn't Fabinho slot in if that happens? The team can now operate with a roaming CM and a DM or both play the low-block when we want to close games out. He has played there before from my recollection.

Yeah but that’s sort of what cost City, using Fernandinho as a CB. Sort of took some steel out of their midfield while not being that strong at the back. I think with our midfield though maybe we’re in a better position to try something like that.

I’m fine with Fabinho as a stop gap there, long term and I’m a bit worried.

My ideal summer work after Thiago’s officially signed would be: a good backup CB and a good attacker for quality squad depth 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

"Then Moyes called it off because he didn’t feel he knew enough about the player."

Surely this isn't right because it sounds like a joke more than reality.

Tbf Moyes’ career after leaving Everton sounds like a joke more than reality

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If Gomez and Matip are hurt at the same time, we’d be proper fucked though. And that sort of using a good DM as a makeshift CB utterly fucked City last season tbh.

I don't see Liverpool being able to spend the sort of money to make a signing in that position worth it. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I don't see Liverpool being able to spend the sort of money to make a signing in that position worth it. 

I have faith in Michael Edwards to find us some good value somewhere, assuming FSG are more willing to spend than they were earlier in the window.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but that’s sort of what cost City, using Fernandinho as a CB. Sort of took some steel out of their midfield while not being that strong at the back. I think with our midfield though maybe we’re in a better position to try something like that.

My ideal summer work after Thiago’s officially signed would be: a good backup CB and a good attacker for quality squad depth 

If you look at the options there we'd realistically have to be in a very terrible position (we can't use the word hypothetical because its actually happened) but then you have options to lower your entire midfield to provide cover. If we play the high-line we did I'd be worried because while Fab can track he isn't the ideal candidate you want to be the last-man.

We have that younger kids to give a chance to learn too like Sepp I just hope it doesn't come to that when the games come up during the congestion period. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Liverpool coped fine without Fabinho in midfield for 2-3 months last season. Could even argue Henderson did it better in the 6 when Fabinho was out. Liverpool have now improved the midfield, not just with the addition of Thiago but Curtis Jones will be more useful than Lallana was last season. CB isn't a concern for me.

7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

If you look at the options there we'd realistically have to be in a very terrible position (we can't use the word hypothetical because its actually happened) but then you have options to lower your entire midfield to provide cover. If we play the high-line we did I'd be worried because while Fab can track he isn't the ideal candidate you want to be the last-man.

We have that younger kids to give a chance to learn too like Sepp I just hope it doesn't come to that when the games come up during the congestion period. 

Aside from Sepp, apparently we’ve got a giant young CB (first name Billy, forget the surname) that apparently looked fantastic in pre-season (but it’s only pre-season).

• Subscriber

Aside from Sepp, apparently we’ve got a giant young CB (first name Billy, forget the surname) that apparently looked fantastic in pre-season (but it’s only pre-season).

Koumetio? He's young and I think he's a bit ways off to start in the league but this is Klopp and if he sees it fit he'll get him integrated.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Koumetio? He's young and I think he's a bit ways off to start in the league but this is Klopp and if he sees it fit he'll get him integrated.

I don’t watch pre-season football or buy into the youth team hype anymore (pretty much since the Rafa days) - so I take every positive news about him with more than a pinch of salt. But I’ve heard he looks more ready than the Dutch kid we’ve signed last season.

• Subscriber

I don’t watch pre-season football or buy into the youth team hype anymore (pretty much since the Rafa days) - so I take every positive news about him with more than a pinch of salt. But I’ve heard he looks more ready than the Dutch kid we’ve signed last season.

My theory on pre-season is the same as the start of a season. Every team is fresh and a bit off-pace so if you want to integrate younger prospects its probably best to try and do it earlier rather than later in the season when teams have worked out their formations/strategies. Oh and the players have their match-fitness sorted by the end of the first two/three games of the season too.

• Subscriber

I am also a little surprised it took this long especially the fee being this low, clearly you wanted the player and vise versa. Anyways looks as if its done KHR on our end has confirmed it as well. I will definitely be more interested in Liverpool matches now :D

• The title was changed to Thiago Alcantara - Set to Sign For Liverpool
2 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I am also a little surprised it took this long especially the fee being this low, clearly you wanted the player and vise versa. Anyways looks as if its done KHR on our end has confirmed it as well. I will definitely be more interested in Liverpool matches now :D

Michael Edwards loves to lowball and haggle. Even on this one, the fee's low and it's a completely reasonable fee - but the way it's been broken up into smaller installments. So the reasonable fee becomes a pretty light hit for us in terms of FFP.

I'm pretty excited by this one because apparently this is a signing that Klopp really had to push for - apparently it's a player that he's always wanted to work with... he just assumed he never would get the chance to work with him once Thiago solidified his status at Bayern Munich.

Our midfield is already pretty fucking good imo. Adding someone who's up there amongst the best in the world in his position brought into it is very cool. I hope he settles well.

Fabinho and Thiago play in the same position. I'm pretty sure Fabinho is going to be used at CB whenever required (especially against the weaker teams) instead of us buying a CB that we dont really need. 

I'm excited by this signing and I hope its excited fans that have been crying out for a marque signing. 

22 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Fabinho and Thiago play in the same position. I'm pretty sure Fabinho is going to be used at CB whenever required (especially against the weaker teams) instead of us buying a CB that we dont really need. 

I'm excited by this signing and I hope its excited fans that have been crying out for a marque signing. 

I don't think so. Fabinho is much more defensive oriented, correct? They can easily start together.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I don't think so. Fabinho is much more defensive oriented, correct? They can easily start together.

I'm not an expert on Thiago but my understanding is that he plays in the deepest midfield role? Fabinho for us has always played in the deepest midfield role. That to me suggests that they will be competing for a place in the side. Unless Klopp sees Thiago as a player he wants further forward or to drop Fabinho back into a CB when needed? 

Who knows? 

43 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm not an expert on Thiago but my understanding is that he plays in the deepest midfield role? Fabinho for us has always played in the deepest midfield role. That to me suggests that they will be competing for a place in the side. Unless Klopp sees Thiago as a player he wants further forward or to drop Fabinho back into a CB when needed? 

Who knows? 

I'm not expert either but from what I saw he pretty much fulfils what Xavi did at Barcelona. The guy that is always open to receive the ball and pass it along.

6 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Who knows? 

Whenever I've seen him, and it's not a great deal, he does seem to take up the deepest position in midfield but he's very different to Fabinho. He'll be able to beat a couple of players by taking them on, not just his passing. There's no reason they both couldn't play in the same midfield.

• The title was changed to Thiago Alcantara - Signs for Liverpool
21 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's not very often Liverpool make a signing that is a genuine top class ready made player so this is exciting. Can't really think of the last one to be honest. 

Closest I can think of is Torres, but he wasn’t as established as being as class as Thiago

Archived