The better place to talk football.

West Ham 3-2 Chelsea - Wednesday 1st July, 2020

football forum

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Oh here he is, now he enjoys a Chelsea loss xD 

I mean obviously I prefer Man Utd to be fucked over... but I don’t really like Chelsea either (or most other clubs actually, now that I think about it) so it is funny.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

A deserved win for West Ham, I'd say. 

Yes, I'd say so as well. Chelsea's goals came from two set pieces from Willian, a penalty and a free-kick. West Ham battled hard and they definitely deserve this win in my opinion.

West Ham have boosted their chances of staying in the EPL with this win, while Chelsea have a battle on their hands to secure that final Champions League spot.

Chelsea unlucky to lose that 2nd half but that counter was far to easy for West Hams 3rd. Super performance By Antonio really stole that game for the Hammers. William and Pulisic were fantastic once again, let down massively by their defence. 

• Subscriber

Very enjoyable game. West Ham are probably safe just from that because the other teams in the mire are so utterly hopeless. Even though it defies all logic and form, something about this result feels bizarrely predictable after Chelsea just beat Man City in a "that's football" sort of way.

Moyes has regressed as a manager but two common themes have run throughout his career. 1) An inability to deliver when the pressure and expectation is on and 2) An ability to wring a result out of a team with their backs against the wall and a bit of a siege mentality. The VAR nonsense in the first half will only have nurtured that "us against the world" feeling in the West Ham dressing room.

Chelsea's defence have a lot to answer for. In reality they've conceded two soft set piece goals, failing to learn from their mistakes on the first one to concede from an almost identical corner minutes later. Individual mistakes by Christensen and Rudiger on the second half goals. Showing Yarmolenko onto his left, seriously? Alonso seems to be perpetually out of position at left back as well. Even when he manages to jog back in line with the rest of the back four he's either too central or too wide. West Ham had a field day down the right hand side in that second half.

Mega performance from Antonio. Chelsea's centre backs didn't seem to know what to do with him and also didn't seem to have the appetite to get into the scrap with him.

This is essentially the reason why I was so critical on our performance against City, despite the 3 points.  We revert back to our old ways for the quick fix, we then risk ourselves looking absolutely clueless in games where we look to take the initiative against shithouses. Tonight the perfect example. We are now relying on Pulisic in the same manner we relied on Hazard in the Conte & Mourinho shithouse era. 

I just don't know when Lampard will finally grasp the concept that Kante is, and won't ever be a lone holding midfielder. So awful leading a transition and is so prone to aimlessly leave his position. West Ham's 3rd goal beacue of it. 

There's no way the club and Lampard are satisfied with our CB's? Surely? Makes a mockery of the fact we allegedly put in a bid for Havertz. We've actually conceded more goals than Arsenal!

You could put a mannequin in some of those situations Rudiger and Christensen faced today defensively and it would have performed better. It's on Lampard for choosing our worst two centre backs defensively. I don't get care if Zouma and Tomori come in and do just as bad, it will make a change and be better than watching the two clowns we have on show at the moment. Also, West Ham are a very physical team, I don't know why Zouma our most physical player, is on the bench especially considering he's just had a decent performance against Leicester. 

Football is a game of form we know that but I tell you there's not a more overrated centre back in Europe than Rudiger at the moment. If you want to learn how not to defend, watch Rudiger, he'll do the opposite of what's right.

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

You could put a mannequin in some of those situations Rudiger and Christensen faced today defensively and it would have performed better. It's on Lampard for choosing our worst two centre backs defensively. I don't get care if Zouma and Tomori come in and do just as bad, it will make a change and be better than watching the two clowns we have on show at the moment. Also, West Ham are a very physical team, I don't know why Zouma our most physical player, is on the bench especially considering he's just had a decent performance against Leicester. 

Football is a game of form we know that but I tell you there's not a more overrated centre back in Europe than Rudiger at the moment. If you want to learn how not to defend, watch Rudiger, he'll do the opposite of what's right.

@Dr. Gonzo 

You can point the finger at our attackers at moments this season for not taking the chances but it works at both ends of the pitch. Individually defensively we have to improve as well, absolute shambles some of the defending on show at the moment.

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

You can point the finger at our attackers at moments this season for not taking the chances but it works at both ends of the pitch. Individually defensively we have to improve as well, absolute shambles some of the defending on show at the moment.

Yeah i can see you lot turning into our Rodgers side... you score 3, we will score 4 kinda team. 

A very decent counter attacking performance from West Ham there. Soaked up a load of pressure, defended well and broke well when they had the ball and Antonio, for a bloke whose clearly not a striker, let alone a lone one, had a blinder of a game. 

Chelsea’s defence is very poor. They’ve conceded as many as Brighton (15th) and are the second worst in the top half for goals against with Burnley conceding just one more. Also looks as though Lampard is struggling a bit in terms of organising a side away from home. Again, defensively, they’re bad. Worst in the top half for goals against, they’re only better than Villa, Everton, Newcastle and Norwich and they’ve conceded one more than Bournemouth. Even at Derby he wasn’t great away from home. Won only 7 and conceded more than they scored. 

Think they definitely need Werner. They’ve only got Abraham that’s in double figures for goals this season. 

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

To be fair to Lampard, let's not forget about the transfer ban and it's been evident since Conte's second season that Chelsea need to address their recruitment in defence. 

Set pieces are another issue. Was never a problem with Conte or even Sarri

• The topic was unpinned

First off well played to West Ham they always step up against us a well deserved win. The first half for us was terrible we conceded twice from the same player from the same set piece, we were fortunate to go ahead. Just before half time Rudiger gifts a corner and a energy boost for West Ham in the second half. That just happened and we were a goal down, Antonio worked his ass off well played to him as well. Lampard was spot on with subs and we pressed well and created good chances, one counter and our shocking back three Christensen, Rudiger and Alonso showed us why we can't do much more than this with them in the back line. Kepa conceded three goals from four shot on target, he is super shaky at corners as he just hopes for the best rarely goes to grab the ball. I hated Courtois but he was far better in this department. Frank has to drop the CB's it was evident that they are tragic. One stat showed that only Zouma has 75% of aerial duels won while the rest have around 50% which means every second header is won by the opposition. Set pieces are now for awhile now officially our weak spot and everyone is using them to their benefit. We have Watford on Saturday if we fail to win we potentially drop to fifth and we could have been 3rd now and watching the rest. 

Archived