talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheff Utd 3-1 Tottenham - Thursday 2nd July, 2020

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mpache said:

The concept of VAR is like communism. Great in theory, terrible in practice. And it will always be that way if there's a human in charge.  It's a shame but it doesn't really change much unless it's an AI making the decisions, and I don't think we're that far into the future unfortunately.

All you need is a human in charge that doesn't expect other humans to be physically capable of ejecting their arms from their body on demand to prevent them from handling the ball when they can't do anything else about it. I'll do it ffs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Opinions are fine but not when it could negatively impact the sport. I care about football and that's why I don't tolerate those who defend it.

That's the end of that then. Good discussion with you!

Just now, Stan said:

That's the end of that then. Good discussion with you!

I really don't have a problem with anyones opinion bud, but let me put it in terms you'll understand.

If person A wants to kill somebody on the street and Person B disagrees, is it not OK for Person B to get angry and not tolerate that kind of behaviour?

It's the same here really. If you think it's a good theory, that's fine! I agree with it too. But if you look deeper into it you'll find that all it will do is kill the sport for spectators and even the players.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Opinions are fine but not when it could negatively impact the sport. I care about football and that's why I don't tolerate those who defend it.

I really don't have a problem with anyones opinion bud, but let me put it in terms you'll understand.

If person A wants to kill somebody on the street and Person B disagrees, is it not OK for Person B to get angry and not tolerate that kind of behaviour?

It's the same here really. If you think it's a good theory, that's fine! I agree with it too. But if you look deeper into it you'll find that all it will do is kill the sport for spectators and even the players.

I beg to differ.

• The title was changed to Sheff Utd 3-1 Tottenham - Thursday 2nd July, 2020

VAR IS COMMUNISM xD xD

Nah, it’s just a tool for refs that are pretty ridiculous and inconsistent without the tool in the first place. As @RandoEFC said, common sense would go a long way to making these ridiculous handball decisions go away.

I also think, for consistencies sake, the ref on the pitch should get a chance to look at the video rather than some different shit ref making a decision that maybe the interpretation would be different if the ref who made the decision saw the evidence. 

• The topic was unpinned
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

VAR IS COMMUNISM xD xD

Nah, it’s just a tool for refs that are pretty ridiculous and inconsistent without the tool in the first place. As @RandoEFC said, common sense would go a long way to making these ridiculous handball decisions go away.

I also think, for consistencies sake, the ref on the pitch should get a chance to look at the video rather than some different shit ref making a decision that maybe the interpretation would be different if the ref who made the decision saw the evidence. 

It was an example.

Communism in theory is a great idea, but how does that stop a corrupted leader from being in charge and ruining everything?

• Administrator

VAR IS COMMUNISM xD xD

This bugs me. Several other leagues use the pitch-side monitor quite often and it helps with their own decisions. For some reason our referees refuse to entertain the idea that doing that will help them make the right ones :what:. There was so much fuss when it happened for the first time (in a Palace match I think?). Since then, I don't recall it happening so much again when there have been ample opportunities to do so.

• Administrator

No, you missed the point entirely.

I will say it again, the point reading on this forum is tragic.

So is the point making, if I may add.

You might not tolerate this, mind.

• Administrator
Just now, Mpache said:

*sigh* there's just no use in arguing with someone who can't even read properly.

Totally agree. Glad that's over with.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Totally agree. Glad that's over with.

I'm fully convinced you WANT to believe that I don't tolerate opinions.

When it comes to destroying something I'm passionate about, it's different. I love music and travelling but they don't come close to what I feel for football. I spend all day watching the sport because I've got nothing better to do, so I am worried for the sport that you can't properly watch it as a spectator.

I made my point clear as day and you interpreted it the way you want to interpret it.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

It was an example.

Communism in theory is a great idea, but how does that stop a corrupted leader from being in charge and ruining everything?

Communism is a pretty radical political theory that yeah, sounds good in theory, but in practice humans are too corrupt to truly work as a community of people with a common cause and purpose that treats everyone fairly.

Meanwhile VAR is a referee tool that is highly flawed, but it’s technology being used as a tool so it can 100% be improved upon.

There’s nothing in human nature that says we can’t use technology to allow referees to make accurate decisions more frequently. In fact, we’ve seen it in sports do it. It’s just football is a different animal to many other sports.

Although I don’t know if top flight football in the big leagues is the best place to be working out the kinks of how technology helps.

Tbh I think the comparing it to communism is ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with using video replays to see what you might have missed before making big decisions. Shouldn't be that complicated to implement.

As for Tottenham, Pochettino definitely was on a downward spiral with them and they definitely needed some time apart from each other but Tottenham should probably bring Pochettino back now. Hope they don't.

Communism is a pretty radical political theory that yeah, sounds good in theory, but in practice humans are too corrupt to truly work as a community of people with a common cause and purpose that treats everyone fairly.

Meanwhile VAR is a referee tool that is highly flawed, but it’s technology being used as a tool so it can 100% be improved upon.

There’s nothing in human nature that says we can’t use technology to allow referees to make accurate decisions more frequently. In fact, we’ve seen it in sports do it. It’s just football is a different animal to many other sports.

Although I don’t know if top flight football in the big leagues is the best place to be working out the kinks of how technology helps.

Tbh I think the comparing it to communism is ridiculous.

I disagree, the problem with VAR isn't the technology itself as Rando pointed out, it's the idea that humans need to use it. That's where it all falls. Especially given the people in charge of the sport are already corrupt as it is.

I personally believe that there will always be complaints and too many decisions we need to correct. Wasn't it you that decided we needed AI refs? That could be a really good or a really bad solution. Personally I didn't mind reffing mistakes. Just let the game flow as it was.

25 minutes ago, Mpache said:

7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I'm fully convinced you WANT to believe that I don't tolerate opinions.

#BrianLogic101

Fucking hell comparing VAR to communism what a load of nonsense. I don't know what everyone complains about, for me VAR is the future and unfortunately due to incompetence which has marred football for years is the only reason it is failing. 

Pretty much every other top sport has video reviews, Rugby Union is the perfect example how to do it properly. I still don't understand why not mic the refs up for us all to hear. 

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I disagree, the problem with VAR isn't the technology itself as Rando pointed out, it's the idea that humans need to use it. That's where it all falls. Especially given the people in charge of the sport are already corrupt as it is.

I personally believe that there will always be complaints and too many decisions we need to correct. Wasn't it you that decided we needed AI refs? That could be a really good or a really bad solution. Personally I didn't mind reffing mistakes. Just let the game flow as it was.

Well it’s how the technology is implemented that’s the issue. And the flaws in how it’s implemented could be down to flaws in what we can actually do, but there’s clear things that can be done in England to improve VAR.

Well it’s how the technology is implemented that’s the issue. And the flaws in how it’s implemented could be down to flaws in what we can actually do, but there’s clear things that can be done in England to improve VAR.

Well it's been 4 years since it's implementation in football and it's just as bad as it was when it got introduced.

The "give it time" excuse is no longer effective I'm afraid. The problem stems from the fact humans need to use it.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The officials knowing what an intentional handball is would help.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Well it's been 4 years since it's implementation in football and it's just as bad as it was when it got introduced.

The "give it time" excuse is no longer effective I'm afraid. The problem stems from the fact humans need to use it.

Who's still saying 'give it time'? 

Plenty, including myself, have always said it's more a human error and perception of the (ambigious in some cases) rules that let it down and draw negative attention to it.

Archived