talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Eco said:

Keep up the good work and get results and I'll move the Cardiff City thread up to the EPL Sub-Forum as well. 

I'll do the same for the Fulham thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I would actually go as far to say that Cash, Watkins and Martinez is already a miles better window than last summer's when they brought in like 11-12 players.

All 3 players are significant upgrades on what they currently have.

Feel like last season was just a scramble to get a squad together considering how little players they had after loans finished and contracts ended, this season they’re making signings with intent 

• Subscriber

Doing the next episode of my podcast on Villa. They've definitely had a good transfer window and as Danny said, they are signing players with an intent and Dean Smith is making smart decisions that will only benefit the club in the long term rather than scrambling to sign loads of players who won't make as much of an impact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 27/07/2021 at 00:29, Dan said:

Reckon Villa are a dark horse for Europe this season.

I'd like to think so. 😀

Either league position or getting a cup win.

Potential starting 11: Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Buendia, Grealish, Watkins, Bailey

And even if Grealish does move on. There'll be motivation there against Man City. And with these current owners, it's guaranteed to go on 2 or 3 hopefully well chosen players. Not plugging financial gaps somewhere, like when Milner, Barry & Young all departed to City, City & Man United around a decade ago. And the inevitable, painfully slow descent to relegation over the following few years.

Kind of gutted John Terry has left. Feel sure he worked hard with the defence that went from leaking to one of the toughest.

3 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I'd like to think so. 😀

Either league position or getting a cup win.

Potential starting 11: Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Buendia, Grealish, Watkins, Bailey

And even if Grealish does move on. There'll be motivation there against Man City. And with these current owners, it's guaranteed to go on 2 or 3 hopefully well chosen players. Not plugging financial gaps somewhere, like when Milner, Barry & Young all departed to City, City & Man United around a decade ago. And the inevitable, painfully slow descent to relegation over the following few years.

Kind of gutted John Terry has left. Feel sure he worked hard with the defence that went from leaking to one of the toughest.

Terry was there when they were leaking, don’t think their defensive record was more down to him than Smith

I am a bit worried having heard from Christian Purslow on Villa's Twitter. He talks of who they've brought in. The players who have established themselves from last season. And the kids. Was kind of still hoping for another name or 2.

Overall, it's difficult to know what to make of it all. But it's the crazy finances we all know about & the culture that you must get to a winning club.

Lineker on Twitter talking of it being like him leaving Leicester. Garth Crooks on BBC's Final Score every time asked to talk about Villa including the line 'he needs to get out of there'.

You do get Tim Sherwood types who was at Villa briefly motivating Benteke that he could be at Real Madrid in a few seasons time. Perhaps because they didn't have the aspiration then to say they could be top 4/5 in a few seasons.

The thing with professional footballers is probably that they live on the inside. I imagine the vast majority have never played for their club. And so have a totally different mindset to most fan groups. It should be obvious really when transfers have always happened regularly for many, many years.

For some it is the money. That just has more zero's now that it did. Ashley Cole made that clear. Arsenal to Chelsea all those years ago & when he talked a bit about it much later. But Villa themselves have a track record of buying from more clubs than they sell to, in terms of prime age players. Ings & Buendia right now. Darren Bent in the past. And Blackburn Rovers way back whenever were like Leicester & Chelsea in the same entity.

For some it's the trophies. See again Lineker with his long standing joke at Shearer at FA Cup games. It really is just a noisy merry go round. But for many VIlla fans I'm sure they thought Grealish seemed more Gabby Agbonlahor than Gareth Barry.

If Grealish had gone to Real, Barca, Juve, or whoever abroad. Like before the Premier League was the place to be, it probably wouldn't grate so many so much. But make no mistake, to a core of Villa fans, being where City are is where they see the long term goal. Manchester ideally, Leicester at the very least. So I do predict long term resentment despite team-mates & club hierarchy trying to sound placating & dignified.

On 31/07/2021 at 19:42, Danny said:

Terry was there when they were leaking, don’t think their defensive record was more down to him than Smith

Whoever might deserve more credit, they were a management & coaching team.

I'm sure Smith learned all he could from Terry.

And he was quoted recently as how he's learned from listening to Jack Grealish at times.

I don't think he's a Fergie type from what I sense & hear of him.

I guess Dean Smith has lost his ready made 'interim' replacement now too.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

7 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Whoever might deserve more credit, they were a management & coaching team.

I'm sure Smith learned all he could from Terry.

And he was quoted recently as how he's learned from listening to Jack Grealish at times.

I don't think he's a Fergie type from what I sense & hear of him.

I guess Dean Smith has lost his ready made 'interim' replacement now too.

Smith is just a character who is open to learn new things, it's why he was Brentford manager. Managers who are stuck in their ways don't get our job, so not surprising to hear of Smith learning from Grealish and I'm sure he learnt from Terry too.

On 06/08/2021 at 00:49, Reluctant Striker said:

I am a bit worried having heard from Christian Purslow on Villa's Twitter. He talks of who they've brought in. The players who have established themselves from last season. And the kids. Was kind of still hoping for another name or 2.

Overall, it's difficult to know what to make of it all. But it's the crazy finances we all know about & the culture that you must get to a winning club.

Lineker on Twitter talking of it being like him leaving Leicester. Garth Crooks on BBC's Final Score every time asked to talk about Villa including the line 'he needs to get out of there'.

You do get Tim Sherwood types who was at Villa briefly motivating Benteke that he could be at Real Madrid in a few seasons time. Perhaps because they didn't have the aspiration then to say they could be top 4/5 in a few seasons.

The thing with professional footballers is probably that they live on the inside. I imagine the vast majority have never played for their club. And so have a totally different mindset to most fan groups. It should be obvious really when transfers have always happened regularly for many, many years.

For some it is the money. That just has more zero's now that it did. Ashley Cole made that clear. Arsenal to Chelsea all those years ago & when he talked a bit about it much later. But Villa themselves have a track record of buying from more clubs than they sell to, in terms of prime age players. Ings & Buendia right now. Darren Bent in the past. And Blackburn Rovers way back whenever were like Leicester & Chelsea in the same entity.

For some it's the trophies. See again Lineker with his long standing joke at Shearer at FA Cup games. It really is just a noisy merry go round. But for many VIlla fans I'm sure they thought Grealish seemed more Gabby Agbonlahor than Gareth Barry.

If Grealish had gone to Real, Barca, Juve, or whoever abroad. Like before the Premier League was the place to be, it probably wouldn't grate so many so much. But make no mistake, to a core of Villa fans, being where City are is where they see the long term goal. Manchester ideally, Leicester at the very least. So I do predict long term resentment despite team-mates & club hierarchy trying to sound placating & dignified.

We offered him to Madrid to spite city

On 06/08/2021 at 08:05, Danny said:

Smith is just a character who is open to learn new things, it's why he was Brentford manager. Managers who are stuck in their ways don't get our job, so not surprising to hear of Smith learning from Grealish and I'm sure he learnt from Terry too.

Smith did a talk at Birmingham uni a few years back he said on Terry give me ambition rather than someone to plod, I like Smith but personally feel he will reach his ceiling before we do. 

• Like 1