talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa Discussion

football forum

Jhon Duran has been signed. A 19 year old Columbian international attacking player. Supposedly a pacy striker. From Chicago Fire.

Must feel a bit of a blow to Villa's home grown 21 year old Cameron Archer, out on loan at Middlesbrough now.

But I guess there are questions over how much time Watkins may or may not be out for. And if that's not going to be too long, is Watkins being seen as a wide attacker, or perhaps Danny Ings not entirely unavailable to the right bidder.

Continuing to feel a slightly unexpected transfer window to me. I expected wingers, midfielders & maybe centre backs. So far, a left back & a striker.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems no surprise deadline day signing. But:

Bertrand Traore recalled. (perhaps a pity El Ghazi had gone perm) A few fringe players have been loaned out. Including Sanson & Nakamba. While Bednarek & Augustinsson released from their loans in. If the right players are not available right now, this may be aswell. A split reaction to find online. I'd tend toward that we do have more depth than it would seem at first glance:

1st 11:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

McGinn Douglas Luiz Kamara Buendia

Bailey Watkins

2nd Choice:

Olsen

Young Chambers Carlos (returning from injury) Moreno

? Dendonker Ramsey Coutinho

Traore Duran

• 2 weeks later...

Emi Martinez has made his first comments about having desires to win a Champions League. How he'd like to win a title with Villa, but the club is on a journey toward better things.

Will be disappointing if he goes, but any side in European competition wanting a top class goalkeeper & prepared to pay big (he's only recently signed a long term contract) it's really feeling like he'll be on the move sooner than later.

You would think he would only move somewhere as a number 1.

• 3 months later...

I get the feeling the club would like to bring in a headline signing or 2 over the summer. But those who would qualify as a headline signing will have many interested clubs to choose from.

Ashley Young is being released, so a new 2nd right back needed.

Of the names in the rumour & gossip stories, the most plausible so far has seemed like Harvey Barnes.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Overall happy with Purslow, came in when we were a mess and has improved us, put structures in place but the Gerrard move was all him because he is a bit of a fawning fanboy, NS had enough and took control so it was inevitable really

He’s better at the big picture business stuff than the footballing side - makes sense considering his background.

He’ll forever be a LFC legend for his key role in removing parasitic owners from us and saving us from administration.

Hopefully they realised that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current badge. It’s easy enough to produce, and is much better than the shitty circular badge every team is going for now. Their proposed badge looked exactly like Chelsea’s. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Hopefully they realised that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current badge. It’s easy enough to produce, and is much better than the shitty circular badge every team is going for now. Their proposed badge looked exactly like Chelsea’s. 

Apparently circular badges are easier to manufacture, hence clubs moving towards them. 

I was a bit disappointed on the sponsor, before suggestions they were dodgy. I had enjoyed Cazoo, just feeling like a change from betting companies. But, apparently signed up until a main front of shirt gambling sponsor ban comes in.

The round badge won a fan vote. I would have preferred a new take on the 90's striped crest. But was not an offered choice.

I'm sure there are design ideas going on. The way it's often in some basic outline form on training & coaching tops. Usually available just slightly cheaper than the ever more expensive replica kit shirts.

I guess intricate & detailed, impressive looking badge designs are just not the way people are generally going.

On 22/06/2023 at 12:15, Reluctant Striker said:

I was a bit disappointed on the sponsor, before suggestions they were dodgy. I had enjoyed Cazoo, just feeling like a change from betting companies. But, apparently signed up until a main front of shirt gambling sponsor ban comes in.

The round badge won a fan vote. I would have preferred a new take on the 90's striped crest. But was not an offered choice.

What’s the winning badge look like?

Villa have historically had some of the best looking club crests in the history of British football, so I’m always interested to see what they do next.

@Fairy In Boots - does your pal’s company still have any contracts with the club?

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Villa have historically had some of the best looking club crests in the history of British football, so I’m always interested to see what they do next.

@Fairy In Boots - does your pal’s company still have any contracts with the club?

The new badge, that won the vote, is my current avatar pic.

I had always felt the previous 1 was too strongly yellow. I never really adapted to it.

I think there were 4 choices in vote & was 2 shields, 2 round ones, with mostly claret & blue, opposing ways round.

The round one is a bit 80's retro, and does kind of make us a bit samey with a large number of the clubs. Not just Chelsea. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

The new badge, that won the vote, is my current avatar pic.

I had always felt the previous 1 was too strongly yellow. I never really adapted to it.

I think there were 4 choices in vote & was 2 shields, 2 round ones, with mostly claret & blue, opposing ways round.

The round one is a bit 80's retro, and does kind of make us a bit samey with a large number of the clubs. Not just Chelsea. 

The claret and the blue should be reversed. Better contrast for the lion, I’ve seen other mock ups and the lion just pops when it is blue on the darker claret

On 23/06/2023 at 22:52, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s to do with Chris Heck, he’s new to the role and had success with the 76r’s rebrand, this was launched before he came in. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Buendia ACL

Mings - serious knee injury

Slapped against Newcastle on opening day.

I think they'll be fine by the end of the season because of the manager's experience, but it's a horror start to the season.