talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

"Evident Bias" in Football Commentary

football forum

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Not sure if this has any relevance, but cross fitters are arguably considered the most athletic individuals on the planet. And all the top competitors are white. 

Putting more irrationality into the cognitive thinking blacks are only strong and powerful. 

Cross Fit is crazy expensive though I believe, which would align as to why the ones at the top are white, since Upper-MIddle/Upper Class America are vastly majority White.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Subban in Nashville, I felt like I heard it so often since they are the 'local' team here in Atlanta. There was also an article recently published by an NHL player who shared his awful experiences with being black in the NHL.

Subban was also a star that was supposed to replace their great captain Webber which he failed to do, and sucked for them badly. It'd be a different story if he were the star they expected.  But you are probably right about that, from my experiences the Blackhawks are pretty clever when it comes to that sort of stuff, given Chicago's population makeup and the touchy nature of the logo, they have experience walking the line and knowing how to turn PR positive.

38 minutes ago, Eco said:

No surprise really, as the same is said for sports here in the US.

If a QB is a black, it's assumed that he is a better runner than a thrower. If a WR is white, it's assumed he's a good route runner for short passes, but doesn't carry the breakaway speed to be a deep threat.

The few black players in hockey are constantly pointed out for being a different color, and I can't imagine how tiring that has to be.

White players in Basketball are 'shooters', whereas the play makers are back players.

In all sports, I thinks it's assumed the black athlete is quicker, whereas the white is either smarter or more hardworking.

I don't think any of this is meant to be harmful, but instead is just unconscious bias.

The point is to know and recognize it, and (hopefully) work on changing your thought process.

Peaked by Stephen A Smith saying Dwayne Haskins was more of a runner than a passer for Ohio State...

Just now, ScoRoss said:

Peaked by Stephen A Smith saying Dwayne Haskins was more of a runner than a passer for Ohio State...

Perfect example.

If anyone watched Haskins in college, you would know that he was no runner, but had a hell of an arm.

To be fair, after thinking about it, sometimes your determination is based on your own two eyes vs racial stereotyping?

Thierry Henry? Pace and technique. 

Ronaldinho? Skill and technical ability. 

Gareth Bale? Pace and power. 

Yaya Toure is a tricky one but even then his stand out attribute is his power. Michael Essien as well. 

Is this considered cognitive bias?

3 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Was Kaka not fast and powerful though? But it wasn't that which was focused on.

Bale is also fast and powerful, while Pogba is technical and intelligent. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but thanks to genetics, most black players are fast and powerful and whites are technical and intelligent. The coaches are the ones with the bias most likely as they are the ones who decide what a player can be. 

The commentators are really just saying what they see.

4 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Perfect example.

If anyone watched Haskins in college, you would know that he was no runner, but had a hell of an arm.

Then there is Mitch Trubiskey, a RB larping as QB.

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

To be fair, after thinking about it, sometimes your determination is based on your own two eyes vs racial stereotyping?

Thierry Henry? Pace and technique. 

Ronaldinho? Skill and technical ability. 

Gareth Bale? Pace and power. 

Yaya Toure is a tricky one but even then his stand out attribute is his power. Michael Essien as well. 

Is this considered cognitive bias?

Maybe?

Ronaldinho because he is Brazilian.
Garthe Bale because he is a big dumb British player.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Then there is Mitch Trubiskey, a RB larping as QB. 

Tua is a great example. Can he run? Sure, but his arm is MUCH better.

Joe Burrow looks slow as shit when he runs, yet no one seems to catch him. xD

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Bale is also fast and powerful, while Pogba is technical and intelligent. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but thanks to genetics, most black players are fast and powerful and whites are technical and intelligent. The coaches are the ones with the bias most likely as they are the ones who decide what a player can be. 

The commentators are really just saying what they see.

You should proofread

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Tua is a great example. Can he run? Sure, but his arm is MUCH better.

Joe Burrow looks slow as shit when he runs, yet no one seems to catch him. xD

Never heard much about Tua, though he is a Pacific Islander so there probably isn't much stereotyping of him besides him 'being a big boy'. I don't watch college sports.

Though the sport is riddled with one-trick QBs like whathisname, the kneeling dude (I can't remember his name) and Bortles, that are just big dumb runners.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Never heard much about Tua, though he is a Pacific Islander so there probably isn't much stereotyping of him besides him 'being a big boy'. I don't watch college sports.

Though the sport is riddled with one-trick QBs like whathisname, the kneeling dude (I can't remember his name) and Bortles, that are just big dumb runners.

The kneeling dude? xD

Colin Kapernick.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

You should proofread

I'm not stereotyping. I'm saying how it is. It's just difficult to get my point across without it sounding racist really.

It's not the players fault that they are that, it's the ones who decide they can't be X or Y. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

The kneeling dude? xD

Colin Kapernick.

Yeah, he definitely has shit for brains. For crying out loud, he wears a Guevara t-shirt and that guy HATED black people 9_9

Just now, Mpache said:

I'm not stereotyping. I'm saying how it is. It's just difficult to get my point across without it sounding racist really.

It's not the players fault that they are that, it's the ones who decide they can't be X or Y. 

Saying genetics is the reason black people are faster and white people are smarter is 100% racist and 100% untrue.

7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Saying genetics is the reason black people are faster and white people are smarter is 100% racist and 100% untrue.

You literally just said that white people are more intelligent due to a genetic predisposition. I couldn't tell you if that is true but I can't imagine the IQ curve isno that much lower between races. xD

Genetics are a method of predetermination, and there would have to be some level of deviance between hugely different genetic specimens. Scientific racism is a touchy subject but I don't think colour of the skin is indicative of anything else but the colour of the skin, just by association the genes that control muscle growth, intelligence, are probably more common in people of particular genetic heritage. 

Genetic are the reason why we are the way we are, that can be managed through training and discipline, but I don't think the genes that influence melanin also influence hormones, brain, and muscle developement but of course they are guilty of association.

If X group in the middle of Russia has extreme intelligence, it isn't because they are white, or turkic, it's because they have a gene that causes the increase in intelligence, just like how a group in southern Ethiopia could be incredibly flexible and strong, not because of skin colour but the gene that causes it appears there. By association you think, black man flexible, russian man smart/

Just now, Spike said:

You literally just said that white people are more intelligent due to a genetic predisposition. I couldn't tell you if that is true but I can't imagine the IQ curve is that much lower between races. xD

Genetics are a method of predetermination, and there would have to be some level of deviance between hugely different genetic specimens. Scientific racism is a touchy subject but I don't think colour of the skin is indicative of anything else but the colour of the skin, just by association the genes that control muscle growth, intelligence, are probably more common in people of particular genetic heritage. 

Genetic are the reason why we are the way we are, that can be managed through training and discipline, but I don't think the genes that influence melanin also influence hormones, brain, and muscle developement but of course they are guilty of association.

If X group in the middle of Russia has extreme intelligence, it isn't because they are white, or turkic, it's because they have a gene that causes the increase in intelligence, just like how a group in southern Ethiopia could be incredibly flexible and strong, not because of skin colour but the gene that causes it appears there. By association you think, black man flexible, russian man smart/

No I didn't. That's how you decided to read it. In terms of genetics, black people usually are faster. That doesn't stop them from becoming a technical or intelligent playmaker. What stops them is whoever coaches them from young decides that they cannot be a technical player. That I'm willing to bet does has some racial stereotypes and would be much more worth studying over commentators just saying what they see.

Regarding your last point, I completely agree that all it is the gene that appears there, but they have a skin colour as well. In Ethiopia most people are black. In Russia, most are White. I don't know the science regarding mixed people admittedly. It doesn't stop the Ethiopians from becoming technical and smart or the Russians from becoming fast and powerful.

Just now, Mpache said:

No I didn't. That's how you decided to read it. In terms of genetics, black people usually are faster. That doesn't stop them from becoming a technical or intelligent playmaker. What stops them is whoever coaches them from young decides that they cannot be a technical player. That I'm willing to bet does has some racial stereotypes and would be much more worth studying over commentators just saying what they see.

Regarding your last point, I completely agree that all it is the gene that appears there, but they have a skin colour as well. In Ethiopia most people are black. In Russia, most are White. I don't know the science regarding mixed people admittedly. It doesn't stop the Ethiopians from becoming technical and smart or the Russians from becoming fast and powerful.

You did actually write it in a way that would be read as 'skin colour = determination'.

Just now, Spike said:

You did actually write it in a way that would be read as 'skin colour = determination'.

Maybe I did, but I never once said that black players cannot be technical and white players cannot be fast. I know a lot better than something so small minded. 

Most black players are usually fast and white players are usually technical, but that doesn't mean that's what they are destined to be, it's just the way they are raised. Like I said, I would actually be interested in a study regarding coaches who choose what players become. I'm sure there are a lot of stereotypes involved, and it would actually be worth a listen.

Just now, Mpache said:

Maybe I did, but I never once said that black players cannot be technical and white players cannot be fast. I know a lot better than something so small minded. 

Most black players are usually fast and white players are usually technical, but that doesn't mean that's what they are destined to be, it's just the way they are raised. Like I said, I would actually be interested in a study regarding coaches who choose what players become. I'm sure there are a lot of stereotypes involved, and it would actually be worth a listen.

Just because you know doesn't mean the reader does. It's not the reader's job to 'read something in  certain way' this isn't ficiton, it is the writer's job to write in a manner that disseminates the salient points clearly without room for misinterpretation.

33 minutes ago, Spike said:

Maybe?

Ronaldinho because he is Brazilian.
Garthe Bale because he is a big dumb British player.

Or because you watch Ronaldinho and Bale and noticed those traits stand out. 

Personally, I'm on both sides of this argument. I do sincerely believe there are cognitive biases in this, but sometimes people are going out of their way to find racial undertones in anything. 

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Just because you know doesn't mean the reader does. It's not the reader's job to 'read something in  certain way' this isn't ficiton, it is the writer's job to write in a manner that disseminates the salient points clearly without room for misinterpretation.

I'm sorry if I did sound racist.

You know that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to get my point across.

Archived