talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

"Evident Bias" in Football Commentary

football forum

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

You're 100% right but what people get caught up in is the correlation between skin colour and physical attributes. I'm no geneticist but I'm positive the genes that control melanin production are different that influence muscular make-up. Correlation isn't causation, black people might have more type 2 fibres but that isn't because of their skin colour. But what people do is make assumptions based on that information.

It's not like a person gets stronger when they tan ffs

Correct. It's to do with genetic factors based on the capability and lifestyles of their ancestors, both recent and historic. Nothing at all to do with the fact their skin is dark. One is a genetic trait inherited because because of lifestyles requiring explosive energy systems, and the other is a genetic trait inherited because Africa is flat and equatorial. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I study exercise science. 
A vast majority of the time black athletes have significantly more type 2 (fast twitch) muscle fibers than white athletes in the same sport. This means they're stronger and more powerful (and that power translates to short distance speed) A commentator wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't praise fast, strong players for their speed and strength, no matter their skin tone.  
The work ethic part of the study is interesting, but a 60/40 split is actually quite narrow and well within an acceptable range given the very small sample size. 

People who study actually real sciences often get frustrated by the social scientists, because biology doesn't give a fuck. People all around the world have overwhelming differences in physical attributes. And that's something to celebrate. 

Fair enough.

Can't (and don't plan to) argue with any of that but definitely agree with the last 2 points.

Archived