• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Championship - Relegation Run-In

football forum

• Administrator

Only 6 points separating Charlton in 18th and Luton at the bottom :o

image.png

Hull play Middlesbrough tomorrow.
Stoke play Barnsley on Saturday 4th July.
Luton play Barnsley on 7th July

Huddersfield play Luton on 11th July
Hull play Luton on 18th July

Stoke, Charlton & Barnsley all have to travel to Leeds.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Only 6 points separating Charlton in 18th and Luton at the bottom :o

image.png

Hull play Middlesbrough tomorrow.
Stoke play Barnsley on Saturday 4th July.
Luton play Barnsley on 7th July

Huddersfield play Luton on 11th July
Hull play Luton on 18th July

Stoke, Charlton & Barnsley all have to travel to Leeds.

Wow, there are a lot of clubs there in real danger of getting relegated. I am sure Luton will go down, on paper they have probably got the weakest squad out of all the clubs. So I'm not surprised to see them rock bottom of the league. But I am not so sure who will go down with them. It should be a very interesting end to the season.

• Subscriber

This is genuinely a mental relegation battle, there were three teams (think it was Charlton, Barnsley and Luton) who looked like they were going to be cut adrift and then all three of them hit form. It really is anyone's guess at this point but you would have to say Hull look in the most danger as they've been in freefall all year.

Huddersfield v Stoke could be a League One fixture this year - that was a Premier League fixture in 2018.

It’s some achievement from Lee Bowyer and Charlton if they stay up. Three owners in a season, at least two of them who had no place in football, a tiny budget, a raft of injuries around November-December that decimated the team and forced them to play kids and Lyle Taylor, their top scorer, deciding that he didn’t want to play another 2-3 games for the clubs, choosing to run down his contract. 

I really rate Bowyer as a manager. I thought he was going to be one of those bubble bursts once they’re appointed permanently types but he’s done superbly there. 

I hope Charlton stay up too. Bowyer's done incredibly well given the off field politics there.

And I hope Luton can too. Won't begrudge them their point last night, they battled well, took their one opportunity and gave it their all.

Hull, Huddersfield and Stoke dropping would be quite satisfying. Especially the first two as they love to hate us xD

What a shame @The Artful Dodger isn't around anymore. This could have been fun.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I hope Charlton stay up too. Bowyer's done incredibly well given the off field politics there.

And I hope Luton can too. Won't begrudge them their point last night, they battled well, took their one opportunity and gave it their all.

Hull, Huddersfield and Stoke dropping would be quite satisfying. Especially the first two as they love to hate us xD

What a shame @The Artful Dodger isn't around anymore. This could have been fun.

I thought Barnsley was a local rival for you guys?

1 hour ago, Eco said:

I thought Barnsley was a local rival for you guys?

Yes, they are local to Leeds, like say your Huddersfield, Bradford, Rotherham, Doncaster, Hull etc are.

Problem is these are all smaller Yorkshire towns that throughout history have not regularly competed with Leeds on a level playing field enough. 

They naturally hate Leeds with a passion despite their respective towns actually containing many Leeds based fans.

And in Barnsley's case, we actually allowed them to sign three of our players this season alone, they usually approach us for fringe players and we happily let them, so there's no ill feeling our side.

It is extremely one sided. I would say the only one that has received a bit of hate from Leeds in recent times is Huddersfield, primarily as they got the better of us getting out the Championship a few years ago when they did. Now its gone back to normal.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stoke and Hull go down, and throw in Huddersfield as well.

Imagine a League One with Stoke, Hull, Huddersfield, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, and Blackpool.

Those are all teams that have been in the Prem fairly recently.

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Eco said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Stoke and Hull go down, and throw in Huddersfield as well.

Imagine a League One with Stoke, Hull, Huddersfield, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, and Blackpool.

Those are all teams that have been in the Prem fairly recently.

Only first few.

Portsmouth and Blackpool haven't been there since 2010. Ipswich since 2001 or 2002.

Just now, Stan said:

Only first few.

Portsmouth and Blackpool haven't been there since 2010. Ipswich since 2001 or 2002. 

Oh wow - I didn't realize it had been so long for Ipswich.

To me, 2010 wasn't THAT long ago.

Regardless, that is a lot of larger clubs in League One though.

• Administrator

image.png

Fixtures this weekend

Charlton vs Millwall
West Brom vs Hull
Huddersfield
vs Preston
Middlesbrough vs QPR
Stoke vs Barnsley
Luton 
vs Reading 

• Administrator

Stoke smashed Barnsley.
Luton got pumped at home to Reading.
Charlton, Hull & Middlesbrough all lost.
Huddersfield grabbed a point & clean sheet.

Leaving the table looking like...

image.png

Midweek fixtures:

Leeds vs Stoke
Brentford vs Charlton
Reading vs Huddersfield
Bristol City vs Hull
Luton vs Barnsley

Loser of Luton vs Barnsley is confirmed down in my opinion. Although not mathematically, it's a massive 6-pointer and perhaps confidence-booster if they do win...

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Stoke smashed Barnsley.
Luton got pumped at home to Reading.
Charlton, Hull & Middlesbrough all lost.
Huddersfield grabbed a point & clean sheet.

Leaving the table looking like...

image.png

Midweek fixtures:

Leeds vs Stoke
Brentford vs Charlton
Reading vs Huddersfield
Bristol City vs Hull
Luton vs Barnsley

Loser of Luton vs Barnsley is confirmed down in my opinion. Although not mathematically, it's a massive 6-pointer and perhaps confidence-booster if they do win...

Yeah and if they both draw, I still think that they will both be favourites to go down. One of them has to win that match, in order to have a realistic chance of staying up in my view.

• Administrator

Birmingham getting slowly dragged in too...

Fixtures this weekend

Huddersfield vs Luton
Middlesbrough 
vs Bristol City
Stoke vs Birmingham
Charlton vs Reading
Hull vs Millwall
Barnsley vs Wigan

Us putting five past Stoke actually helped Charlton out which I didn't realise.

It really could come down to something silly like goal difference.

Massive game tonight between Huddersfield and Luton. I would say if Huddersfield win that, they survive.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

So ridiculously tight, I think it's safe to say Barnsley and Luton are done but that last spot could be anyone's. I'd love it to be Stoke though. 

With the unpredictability of this league, imagine if they both win their games this weekend. Changes everything again xD

Luton have got to win tonight at Huddersfield. It's that simple.

If they do, that puts them 2pts off with QPR, Hull and Blackburn to play. 3 winnable games of which they have to win 2 of them. Especially the Hull game.

10 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

So ridiculously tight, I think it's safe to say Barnsley and Luton are done but that last spot could be anyone's. I'd love it to be Stoke though. 

Luton threw themselves a life jacket tonight. 

Archived