talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Championship - Relegation Run-In

football forum

Luton are having a great weekend.

Not only did they win that big six pointer last night, but that's Huddersfield, Hull, Charlton, Middlesbrough all losing and just a draw for Barnsley and Wigan. 

If Stoke don't win tomorrow, they couldn't have asked for anything better.

It's such an exciting race to stay up. Best in years given how many are involved.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

So, where are now left with 3 games to go?!

I don't know the ins and outs of Birmingham sacking Pep Clotet recently but they've lost 4 in a row and have been sucked in well and truly in to the relegation battle. And of course it didn't help that they lost to Stoke 2-0 today.

image.png

Next fixtures
Bristol City vs Stoke
Birmingham vs Charlton
Reading vs Middlesbrough
Sheff Weds vs Huddersfield
Wigan vs Hull
Luton 
vs QPR
Leeds vs Barnsley

So that 6-pointer between Birmingham and Charlton screams out as the most relevant.

Barnsley facing a side that, dependent on other results, could guarantee promotion to the Premier League on their own turf...

This is gonna be fun!

On 12/07/2020 at 18:22, Stan said:

So, where are now left with 3 games to go?!

I don't know the ins and outs of Birmingham sacking Pep Clotet recently but they've lost 4 in a row and have been sucked in well and truly in to the relegation battle. And of course it didn't help that they lost to Stoke 2-0 today.

image.png

Next fixtures
Bristol City vs Stoke
Birmingham vs Charlton
Reading vs Middlesbrough
Sheff Weds vs Huddersfield
Wigan vs Hull
Luton 
vs QPR
Leeds vs Barnsley

So that 6-pointer between Birmingham and Charlton screams out as the most relevant.

Barnsley facing a side that, dependent on other results, could guarantee promotion to the Premier League on their own turf...

This is gonna be fun!

Well Hull City haven't done their survival hopes any favours today by getting destroyed by Wigan 8-0. xD

Can see Charlton going down now, unfortunately. They’ve punched above their weight all season and dealt with terrible playing budgets, a myriad of crap owners, further incompetence from the Football League and dealt with the fallout of Lyle Taylor, their top scorer and arguably best player, refusing to play. 

• Administrator

Barnsley at the root of the table. Are they done for?!

image.png

Next up:

Stoke vs Brentford
Middlesbrough vs Cardiff
Preston vs Birmingham
Huddersfield vs West Brom
Charlton vs Wigan
Hull vs Luton
Barnsley vs Nottm Forest

How big is that Hull vs Luton game?! 6-pointer if ever there was one.

If any of those 'top' 3 win, they're safe.

Can’t see anything else but Charlton being in the bottom three come the end of this weekend, unfortunately. Fully expect Luton to win, I think Hull will be done after that Wigan defeat in midweek and Wigan are riding the crest of a wave, so should win at Charlton. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, CityTheBest said:

Hull deserve to go down here, the clubs needs a relegation to cleanse the club of its nefarious owners.

Hopefully Wigan don't go down, they looked like they've been improving over the last few years, shame if that all goes down the drain due to an harsh 12 point ded.

Wigan would be safe on goal difference at the moment which is good news for them. I too hope they can stay up. I can't see Hull having any fight to stay up.

Barnsley are fucked, as are Hull.

Given the above, I fully expect Luton to beat Hull and as we'll be in 'on the beach' mode I daresay they'd be favourites on the last day, and as such are in very good stead to stay up.

Do or die for Charlton tomorrow. 'Uddersfield have two awful fixtures left (West Brom and Millwall) whereas if Charlton can scrape a draw v. Wigan and pray Millwall are still in contention for 6th on the last day then they'll have half a chance, even moreso if they win.

On 01/07/2020 at 14:39, Lucas said:

Yes, they are local to Leeds, like say your Huddersfield, Bradford, Rotherham, Doncaster, Hull etc are.

Problem is these are all smaller Yorkshire towns that throughout history have not regularly competed with Leeds on a level playing field enough. 

They naturally hate Leeds with a passion despite their respective towns actually containing many Leeds based fans.

And in Barnsley's case, we actually allowed them to sign three of our players this season alone, they usually approach us for fringe players and we happily let them, so there's no ill feeling our side.

It is extremely one sided. I would say the only one that has received a bit of hate from Leeds in recent times is Huddersfield, primarily as they got the better of us getting out the Championship a few years ago when they did. Now its gone back to normal.

Popped back in to see if this clown was still talking about me. You’re a Leeds from down south who refers to Manchester United as ‘United’...you’re a fraud, no Leeds fan worth their salt would ever use ‘United’ about anything other than Leeds. Enjoy your day, I hope one day you’ll stop thinking about me. 

Your sneering contempt for these ‘Yorkshire towns’ says more about you than anything anyone could write.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Popped back in to see if this clown was still talking about me. You’re a Leeds from down south who refers to Manchester United as ‘United’...you’re a fraud, no Leeds fan worth their salt would ever use ‘United’ about anything other than Leeds. Enjoy your day, I hope one day you’ll stop thinking about me. 

Your sneering contempt for these ‘Yorkshire towns’ says more about you than anything anyone could write.

Haha the fume is real. I've missed you.

Welcome back Sweetheart. I've missed your negativity.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Haha the fume is real. I've missed you.

Welcome back Sweetheart. I've missed your negativity.

Pop down your local spoons with Toby and Oscar to celebrate did you? Looking forward to playing ‘United’ next year’ I loathe Leeds but they don’t deserve ‘fans’ like you ffs

• Administrator

Hull are pretty much down due to their vastly inferior GD over the other sides on 48 points. 

image.png

Millwall vs Huddersfield
Sheff Weds vs Middlesbrough
Birmingham vs Derby
Leeds vs Charlton
Luton vs Blackburn
Barnsley vs Brentford
Cardiff vs Hull

On 16/07/2020 at 14:12, Eco said:

Barnsley are done for, you could see it on their faces after the Leeds match just now. 

Hopefully they don't have any faith as Forest have them on Sunday. 

This didn't age well. Kudos to Barnsley today who outplayed Leeds (but lost), and then took Forest to the shed today, and scored in the 94th minute. They were vastly the better team and despite the tactics clearly not working from beginning, no changes were mad to change the momentum of the game. 

Archived