Chelsea - 20
Draws - 6
Watford - 10

Reverse Fixture
Watford 1-2 Chelsea

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Chelsea (Giroud, 28") 1-0 Watford - Saturday 4th July 2020
  • The title was changed to Chelsea (Willian, 43") 2-0 Watford - Saturday 4th July 2020

Jorginho has his flaws, but the thing I appreciate the most about his game was his ability to pass through the channels. Always looks to pass forward. 

Kante as the holding midfielder genuinely ruins our build up. What’s happened over the lockdown? Lampard went from playing a possession game with a regista, to now opting for a box to box midfielder playing as our lone DM. 

Mad 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Aside from Barkley slowing the play down and Kante refusing to pass forward, Mount making things happen as usual. 

Barkley always feels the need to have more touches than needed and yet when he plays it quickly he creates a decent goal scoring opportunity like for the first goal... See he was having a bit of a cheeky moan that the ball was not being played in front of him to run on too earlier, did make me chuckle as he is a bit of a culprit for doing that himself.. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Halftime, and Chelsea are up 2-0.

Pulisic is MOTM thus far I'd say.

I like Pulisic... very quick and controlled on the ball and it's going to be interesting to see how well the side might combine with our additional signings next season.. Still need to sort that defence out though for us to be considered top 3 material... 

• The title was changed to Chelsea 3-0 Watford - Saturday 4th July 2020
  • The topic was unpinned
51 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pulisic & Mount have ran the show tonight.

This is why he's been our player of the season, no matter how the final games go. The catalyst for everything we do and he really sets the tempo, particularly with pressing.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Jorginho has his flaws, but the thing I appreciate the most about his game was his ability to pass through the channels. Always looks to pass forward. 

Kante as the holding midfielder genuinely ruins our build up. What’s happened over the lockdown? Lampard went from playing a possession game with a regista, to now opting for a box to box midfielder playing as our lone DM. 

Mad 

I think the idea is still to have a lot of the ball anyway and it allows us to have more of a goal threat. It does make signing an attacking midfielder more of a priority though, we can't rely on Ross for a whole season and we have no idea how Ruben will progress after his injury. Kanté's ability on the ball is frustrating but at the same time, he does get a lot more time on the ball in that position which means he can lay it off to someone more capable if necessary. I think there will be moments when we will need someone better in possession but I have to say I'm a fan of the changes in midfield, it reminds me a bit of City's setup. I haven't missed Jorginho at all, to be honest, and wouldn't really be to disheartened if he left especially considering the fact that I think we could get decent money for him. We don't know how Gilmour will develop but for me, he can make up for what we lack if Jorginho were to go. With Kovacic and Jorginho in midfield, I think we end up not being able to get players in between the lines as much which doesn't help us when we want to break teams down. I'm not saying that combo doesn't have its uses, it's a squad game but I have to say I understand why Lampard has decided to change it. 

16 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I think the idea is still to have a lot of the ball anyway and it allows us to have more of a goal threat. It does make signing an attacking midfielder more of a priority though, we can't rely on Ross for a whole season and we have no idea how Ruben will progress after his injury. Kanté's ability on the ball is frustrating but at the same time, he does get a lot more time on the ball in that position which means he can lay it off to someone more capable if necessary. I think there will be moments when we will need someone better in possession but I have to say I'm a fan of the changes in midfield, it reminds me a bit of City's setup. I haven't missed Jorginho at all, to be honest, and wouldn't really be to disheartened if he left especially considering the fact that I think we could get decent money for him. We don't know how Gilmour will develop but for me, he can make up for what we lack if Jorginho were to go. With Kovacic and Jorginho in midfield, I think we end up not being able to get players in between the lines as much which doesn't help us when we want to break teams down. I'm not saying that combo doesn't have its uses, it's a squad game but I have to say I understand why Lampard has decided to change it. 

It's just odd how Lampard completely tossed the regista role in favor of putting Kante out of position. 

Unless he's taken the time during lockdown to analyse the goals we've conceded (concluding that the vacant space in front of our defence was the underlying issue), than I don't understand the point. Both last night and the match against West Ham were frustrating imo. They gave him so much space yet Kante couldn't penetrate through the channels that would really hurt the opposition given they sat back all game. If this if our approach moving forward than we need to sign a proper DM. 

Also, worth noting it appears we were man marking set pieces last night. 

Archived