talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Longer International Breaks

football forum

Why are international break so short, but frequent? (At least at the beginning of the European season)

What if, instead of a two week window to play two games and travelling time, there was a three week window to complete four games?

Scrap the September and November international window and extend the October and March international window.

Instead of 3 potential match club days for 2 games, 5 potential match club days were used for 4 games. Freeing up 2 potential match days for club football.

It would also cut down the amount of travel time for players playing their club football in different continents. And would probably raise the standard of international games as they are less thrown together a team in a short period.

It would probably reinvigorate international football to an extent too. More focus on them for a longer period and less of a 'break' that people associate with international games.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have wondered about an international season all in one go. I think the problem may be how long the players would go without playing together. However in my opinion it isnt all about club football. International football matters as well. To be honest football clubs have it good compared to some sports. In rugby and cricket teams loose players to internationals because they play them at the same time.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I have wondered about an international season all in one go. I think the problem may be how long the players would go without playing together. However in my opinion it isnt all about club football. International football matters as well. To be honest football clubs have it good compared to some sports. In rugby and cricket teams loose players to internationals because they play them at the same time.

Definitely needs more of a balance between the current system and all in one go. 

Looking at the last couple of weeks for Scotland at least, a number of injuries and suddenly a few more call ups are needed. If it was all in one go, say at the end of the season, players could be weeks out from doing any serious training at all. And suddenly they are thrusted into a crucial qualifying match etc.

I'd be in favour of something like three longer international breaks, instead of the five shorter ones we have now. The season, in my mind is too stop start and doesn't get going until November time. Takes away from both the internationals and the club game.

1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

Definitely needs more of a balance between the current system and all in one go. 

Looking at the last couple of weeks for Scotland at least, a number of injuries and suddenly a few more call ups are needed. If it was all in one go, say at the end of the season, players could be weeks out from doing any serious training at all. And suddenly they are thrusted into a crucial qualifying match etc.

I'd be in favour of something like three longer international breaks, instead of the five shorter ones we have now. The season, in my mind is too stop start and doesn't get going until November time. Takes away from both the internationals and the club game.

3 international breaks could be a good idea. It may harm countries that are relying on a few good players to get them through though as they will miss more games if they get injured though.I think it's a shame that a lot of people see international football a just an inconvenience.  Especially when someone like yourself would love to see your country in a world cup.

29 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

3 international breaks could be a good idea. It may harm countries that are relying on a few good players to get them through though as they will miss more games if they get injured though.I think it's a shame that a lot of people see international football a just an inconvenience.  Especially when someone like yourself would love to see your country in a world cup.

I think there is a momentum problem with international football. Just as people might be getting involved and interested, it's on hiatus for another month (or longer).

The Nations League has probably helped with this a bit, with nations competing in fairly even games against similar sized nations (both at the very top and bottom of European football) and has helped condense the qualifiers. When they were spread out over a longer period with intermingled friendlies, it really didn't help.

Archived