talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-0 Aston Villa - Sunday 5th July, 2020

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s thirty odd games into the season and I’m yet to see what Jack Grealish offers any Premier League team. I’ll be amazed if Man United spunk a load of money on him when they’re crying out for a decent centre-half to partner Maguire. 

I think it’s hard to tell how good Grealish is because everything positive Villa do is through Grealish. But Villa are also pretty shite so trying to be the one guy who creates for them is a tough job.

He’s clearly good enough to be considered the most important player in a top flight side. It’s just not a very good top flight side, so jury is still out on how good he is in the top flight.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Oxlade-Chamberlain thrives in bigger games when there's room to pick up the ball in midfield, drive through the lines with the ball and arrive at the edge of the box.   He's delivered a few brilliant performances in those types of games, like against Man City for example.  

He doesn't seem so comfortable against opposition which sits deep and keeps banks of four close together.

19 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Liverpool have routinely played 50 games a year since he signed for them, he’d walk into an Arsenal side after drinking 15 pints. A quality player to have at your disposal. Instead Arsenal have that Guendoz (sp) fella who is out of his depth at this level.  

He's never played 50 games, in the two seasons he has been fit. He's played around 2200 minutes which is works out to 25 games in total. He is by no means a bad player just don't believe he is anything special and nothing more than a utility/squad player for a decent team.

I was just wondering if Liverpool fans thought more of him because I was never a big fan. Comparing him to a 20 year old who plays a completely different role has nothing to do with this or if he starts for Arsenal. 

25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’s hard to tell how good Grealish is because everything positive Villa do is through Grealish. But Villa are also pretty shite so trying to be the one guy who creates for them is a tough job.

He’s clearly good enough to be considered the most important player in a top flight side. It’s just not a very good top flight side, so jury is still out on how good he is in the top flight.

Problem with Grealish is he spends more minutes on the floor than making a positive impact.

He has talent, and would probably flourish more in a team that has far more of the ball and dominate games but he is such a soft touch.

15 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

He's never played 50 games, in the two seasons he has been fit. He's played around 2200 minutes which is works out to 25 games in total. He is by no means a bad player just don't believe he is anything special and nothing more than a utility/squad player for a decent team.

I was just wondering if Liverpool fans thought more of him because I was never a big fan. Comparing him to a 20 year old who plays a completely different role has nothing to do with this or if he starts for Arsenal. 

Does he need to play 50 games a year? I’d argue not. Liverpool have played in six competitions this year and getting 25-30 games out of him is more than good enough. 

9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Does he need to play 50 games a year? I’d argue not. Liverpool have played in six competitions this year and getting 25-30 games out of him is more than good enough. 

Only Wijnaldum and Milner in midfield have or have got close to it in this side Chamberlain has been here. The midfield is the most rotated area of the pitch in this side

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Only Wijnaldum and Milner in midfield have or have got close to it in this side Chamberlain has been here. The midfield is the most rotated area of the pitch in this side

And so it should be. Without taking the time to look into it, I’d be surprised if any area of Liverpool’s side went through as much running as that position and over the course of a 50-60 game season, of which Liverpool have probably had most years under Klopp, it’s necessity. 

27 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Apologies miss read your original post, thought you said Chamberlain but I was Liverpool. xD:dam:

1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

What do Pool fans think of Ox? I haven't seen a lot of him since he left us, but he looked the exact same player who I was happy to see the back of today. I know injuries have rocked his Liverpool career a bit, but he was one of the better sales we've made. 

I do think he's a good player, but I don't think he fits in this squad apart from as an occasional impact sub. His movement and close control aren't good enough to play in the front three, and we lose too much from our fullback on his side when he's in the midfield. A lot of players get criticised for not being direct enough and only passing sideways, but Chamberlain's almost the opposite. He doesn't look after the ball well enough and he's always looking to get forward which pins Trent or Robertson back. His attacking output doesn't really make up for that

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I think Oxlade-Chamberlain thrives in bigger games when there's room to pick up the ball in midfield, drive through the lines with the ball and arrive at the edge of the box.   He's delivered a few brilliant performances in those types of games, like against Man City for example.  

He doesn't seem so comfortable against opposition which sits deep and keeps banks of four close together.

I agree, but the games in which that's what we need are much fewer and further between now than they were two years ago

Archived