• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

DFB-Pokal 2020/21

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Rot-Weiß Essen beat Bayer Leverkusen, wow. :o So it was not a shame to lose against them after all. :ph34r:

Bayern and Leverkusen both out, nice. 

Would love to play RW Essen in the final :ph34r:

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

2-0 Bremen. Agu scores with his....hip? Knee? 

I've not seen the goal but I'm trying to work out how it was scored given the hip and knee aren't close xD 

The spirit of Helmut Rahn lives on. Rot Weiss is now a Regional league team, but it seems like just yesterday as a kid, I was getting beers for der Boss and trying to find my way to Switzerland to watch a football match.  Actually, I cant recall if that was actually me or the movie, Miracle of Berne?  Such is my total disassociation with time and reality since Covid started.  It all just seems so wierd, empty stadium football matches, everyone wearing masks, one minute I am up in the mountains, quiet, skiing, nature... the next minute I am back in the city, cursing why there are so many people and so many cars on the road in what I thought was red zone lockdown.

But in whatever alternative reality I am now in, I like that Bayern and the Pretenders (Bayer) are no longer in the DFB pokal.

Question on the Pokal format... has it always been that lower league clubs (3. Liga and below) don't all participate in the tournament?  I always assumed that it was like the FA cup in England where all clubs went into the pot.  I think I read that only winners of the smaller leagues get to play. 

34 minutes ago, Coma said:

Question on the Pokal format... has it always been that lower league clubs (3. Liga and below) don't all participate in the tournament?  I always assumed that it was like the FA cup in England where all clubs went into the pot.  I think I read that only winners of the smaller leagues get to play. 

Responding to your question: Yes. The bolded part is incorrect, though. Qualified to the DFB-Pokal are the Buli clubs, 2.Liga clubs, the top 4 of 3.Liga, and the winners of the 21 cups of the regional associations of the year before, regardless of their league position. The remaining 3 spots are allocated to the 3 regional associations with the most members, at the moment these are in alphabetical order: Bayern, Niedersachsen, and Westfalen. Bayern give their additional place the best 4th tier team, Niedersachsen play a second regional cup, in which only 5th tier or below teams take part and give their second spot to the winner of this cup. and Westfalen play a decessive match between their best 4-tier team, that's not aleady qualified and the best 5-tier team from their association, that's not already qualified. You see, at least 22 spots in DFB-Pokal first round have fuck all to do with the respective team's league position.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived