talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

DFB-Pokal 2020/21

On 07/03/2021 at 22:18, Rucksackfranzose said:

The semifinals have been drawn:

Winner Regensburg/Bremen - Leipzig

Dortmund - Kiel

Still thinking home right for lower league clubs should include 2.Liga clubs when they face Buli opposition. Kiel -Dortmund would've made a more interesting match than the other way round with attendance allowed.

So Bremen could potentially play Europa League through the DFB Pokal next season, no? :35_thinking:

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So Bremen could potentially play Europa League through the DFB Pokal next season, no? :35_thinking:

Based on the Pokal winner getting a Europa League place?  If Bremen win today I think that's correct.  Assuming Dortmund beat Kiel and both Dortmund and Leipzig keep their positions in the table.

One of the better 0--0 halves of this season and still SSU have taken no prisoners.  Fitness will be the key and mu money is on Osako getting on the scoresheet - sorry that they are in black though - I assume Regensburg objected that they would have difficulty seeing them against the green grass - and now it's starting to snow!  Another 45 minutes and then the Munchkins to come later!

49 minutes ago, Coma said:

Based on the Pokal winner getting a Europa League place?  If Bremen win today I think that's correct.  Assuming Dortmund beat Kiel and both Dortmund and Leipzig keep their positions in the table.

Only if Bremen win the cup, the times when the losing cup finalists qualified for UEFA-Cup/ Europa league under the condition the cup winner played CL are over. Therefore the table positions of BVB and red shite are irrelevant.

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Only if Bremen win the cup, the times when the losing cup finalists qualified for UEFA-Cup/ Europa league under the condition the cup winner played CL are over. Therefore the table positions of BVB and red shite are irrelevant.

Bummer.  Hard to see Bremen winning it.

3 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

It rolls down the table doesnt it? IE, if the finalist is a top 6 team, 7th place becomes a Europa spot right? 

56 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It rolls down the table doesnt it? IE, if the finalist is a top 6 team, 7th place becomes a Europa spot right? 

The cup winner gets a spot, if he's already qualified through his league position than yes it rolls down to 7th place in league.

Thank Christ for that win though. Obviously winning a cup would be ENOURMOUS for the club and I desperately want it more than anything that's not centrally related to my life right now, but just making the Semis will assist us financially a great deal. We need all the Mula we can get and even an extra few mil for wages could save us some trouble next window.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I kind of don't want to watch the match tonight. Bremen are probably going to be taken apart, and I can't bear to watch that. :( Let's hope I'm wrong. 

If we get taken apart completely, then it's probably Kohfeldt's last match in charge, too...

I'm quite eager to see how the team reacts, but I also expect the worst. 

1 hour ago, God is Haaland said:

I hope we'll play a proper C team. Otherwise injuries are guaranteed and we'll miss out on the CL.

Nah, I think they should go for it.  Will be the only chance to get something out of this season.  Winning the Pokal is still an achievement by all accounts.  And here's something else... I wouldn't be that bothered about missing out on the CL.  Yes, that means Haaland will have to go this summer but honestly he's beginning to irritate me with all the sulking.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Coma said:

Nah, I think they should go for it.  Will be the only chance to get something out of this season.  Winning the Pokal is still an achievement by all accounts.  And here's something else... I wouldn't be that bothered about missing out on the CL.  Yes, that means Haaland will have to go this summer but honestly he's beginning to irritate me with all the sulking.

It also means losing out on at least 50 million Euros... Taking part in the CL is definitely very important financially. 

1 hour ago, God is Haaland said:

I hope we'll play a proper C team. Otherwise injuries are guaranteed and we'll miss out on the CL.

15 minutes ago, Coma said:

Nah, they should do what GiH said, would love to see Kiel in the cup final.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

It also means losing out on at least 50 million Euros... Taking part in the CL is definitely very important financially. 

I get that and I'm certainly not rooting for them to fail.  Just saying it's not going to be the worst thing that happens.  The squad needs rebuilt and if it means getting 100 million from Haaland to re-invest then so be it.  Personally, I think their are several by-standers in the Dortmund squad and if they make the CL there's little impetus to make any changes.  Everyone knows that this squad isn't going to win the title so maybe it's time to move some folks along.

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

I get that and I'm certainly not rooting for them to fail.  Just saying it's not going to be the worst thing that happens.  The squad needs rebuilt and if it means getting 100 million from Haaland to re-invest then so be it.  Personally, I think their are several by-standers in the Dortmund squad and if they make the CL there's little impetus to make any changes.  Everyone knows that this squad isn't going to win the title so maybe it's time to move some folks along.

Yeah but think about it - they already calculate with a loss of 75 million Euro in 2020/21 season (which will probably be even higher); if they fail to qualify for CL, that's another ca. 50 millions missing next year - and as it stands now, there's hardly any indication that things will go "back to normal" any time soon. As for the squad rebuilding - selling players might bring in money, but adequatly replacing them is not easy, and it's even harder when you don't play in the CL + have wage budget limitations. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yeah but think about it - they already calculate with a loss of 75 million Euro in 2020/21 season (which will probably be even higher); if they fail to qualify for CL, that's another ca. 50 millions missing next year - and as it stands now, there's hardly any indication that things will go "back to normal" any time soon. As for the squad rebuilding - selling players might bring in money, but adequatly replacing them is not easy, and it's even harder when you don't play in the CL + have wage budget limitations. 

You've got a soft spot for Dortmund, dont' you? xD

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

You've got a soft spot for Dortmund, dont' you? xD

No, not at all xD I'm just a bit sensitive when it comes to missing out on CL, as that was one of the factors that contributed to our downfall xD 

3 hours ago, nudge said:

If we get taken apart completely, then it's probably Kohfeldt's last match in charge, too...

I'm quite eager to see how the team reacts, but I also expect the worst. 

I read an article earlier today, about how Kohfeldt was seen as the next big coaching talent. Top of his class in his coaching license course, ahead of Nagelsmann if I'm not mistaken. And now look at where they both stand. :52_fearful:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I read an article earlier today, about how Kohfeldt was seen as the next big coaching talent. Top of his class in his coaching license course, ahead of Nagelsmann if I'm not mistaken. And now look at where they both stand. :52_fearful:

Really unlucky for him; while it's clear that he made mistakes, he also never really had the means to build a squad that was capable of transforming his ideas into successes on the pitch. We played some lovely football under him while Kruse was still at Bremen AND got results as well; but I think tactically, he's not flexible enough to adapt to what is our new reality these days. I do think he will be successful in the future, sadly with some other club though. Have you read Arnd Zeigler's post a few days ago? Thought it summed up the situation really well (as usual). 

24 minutes ago, nudge said:

Have you read Arnd Zeigler's post a few days ago?

Not yet. Do you have a link?

I wouldn't mind having Kohfeldt at Fortuna Düsseldorf if Rösler doesn't continue. Not sure if it's realistic though. I'd prefer him over an old fart like Uwe Neuhaus. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Not yet. Do you have a link?

I wouldn't mind having Kohfeldt at Fortuna Düsseldorf if Rösler doesn't continue. Not sure if it's realistic though. I'd prefer him over an old fart like Uwe Neuhaus. 

A long read, but worth it...

https://www.facebook.com/arndzeiglerofficial/posts/307146117440349

• The topic was unpinned

Archived