• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Man City 5-0 Newcastle - Wednesday 8th July, 2020

Recommended Posts

Kick-off 18.00

Live on BT Sport

1200px-Manchester_City_FC_badge.svg.png     VS     image.png

Head to Head
Man City - 69
Draws - 40
Newcastle - 72

Reverse Fixture
Newcastle 2-2 Man City

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/07/2020 at 07:13, Harvsky said:

Not this again.

I was looking at it the other day. Hasn't Bruce actually improved you? Haven't quite looked at all the league positions but he has done a good job really hasn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I was looking at it the other day. Hasn't Bruce actually improved you? Haven't quite looked at all the league positions but he has done a good job really hasn't he?

We were so strong in the 2nd half of last season that I can't support the idea that we have improved. We collapsed for the majority of the season and are only now starting to look like we might be able to get back to what we had developed.

The credit Bruce deserves is for us being better since end of Feb, since ditching 5 at the back. Prior to that the regression was dreadful. The football was the worst in my life time. The club was dead. The atmosphere was shocking as we struggled to get the ball off bang average opponents.

Before end of February early March we were utter shite. The only reason we weren't in the bottom 3 was because we had robbed so many teams blind.

Out played at home to Norwich. Worst possession stats in all top flight league's in Europe. Goalkeeper with the most saves in the entire league. One of the low points being 28% possession at home to Brighton and Hove Albion. 

We come back, can't beat or outplay Villa or West Ham at home but got 2 good results out of 5 and the Times are printing articles calling Bruce manager of the year. I suppose by Bruce's own standard's that is manager of the year.

Bruce has seemingly turned his own failure around somewhat in terms of performances. Results don't really tell the picture of what has happened on the pitch throughout the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man City is only good at beating Liverpool since Covid football started, would not be surprised if NFC get something out of this. 

 

For those living on the eastern part of the Iceberg (Kanada), man is it hot!  we had a rain storm over night, so the humidity is sauna like outside, perfect weather for staying inside and watching covid football on tv.  Kinda looking forward to see what happens with the Disneyworld Cup starting tonight, in a sick way.  Florida is a cesspool of covid cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

We were so strong in the 2nd half of last season that I can't support the idea that we have improved. We collapsed for the majority of the season and are only now starting to look like we might be able to get back to what we had developed.

The credit Bruce deserves is for us being better since end of Feb, since ditching 5 at the back. Prior to that the regression was dreadful. The football was the worst in my life time. The club was dead. The atmosphere was shocking as we struggled to get the ball off bang average opponents.

Before end of February early March we were utter shite. The only reason we weren't in the bottom 3 was because we had robbed so many teams blind.

Out played at home to Norwich. Worst possession stats in all top flight league's in Europe. Goalkeeper with the most saves in the entire league. One of the low points being 28% possession at home to Brighton and Hove Albion. 

We come back, can't beat or outplay Villa or West Ham at home but got 2 good results out of 5 and the Times are printing articles calling Bruce manager of the year. I suppose by Bruce's own standard's that is manager of the year.

Bruce has seemingly turned his own failure around somewhat in terms of performances. Results don't really tell the picture of what has happened on the pitch throughout the season.

Your 12th in the league you finished 13th last year ? Even if he did make early mistakes he turned it around. If Benitez was I  charge you would be saying he was doing a great job. Personally to me it seems Newcastle have a toxic fan base. I've even know some newcastle supporters say the same thing. Your fans always seem to think you are bigger than you are. I'm not saying all newcastle fans are like that but they seems to have more toxic fans than a lot of clubs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only took 10 mins for Man City to break the deadlock. Jesus taps in from a David Silva cross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stan said:

Only took 10 mins for Man City to break the deadlock. Jesus taps in from a David Silva cross.

amen. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

amen. 

Christ that was bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another assist for De Bruyne.

Another goal for Mahrez.

So much space for De Bruyne to cut the ball back and find Mahrez who also has a lot of space to pick his spot. It's quite easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Your 12th in the league you finished 13th last year ? Even if he did make early mistakes he turned it around. If Benitez was I  charge you would be saying he was doing a great job. Personally to me it seems Newcastle have a toxic fan base. I've even know some newcastle supporters say the same thing. Your fans always seem to think you are bigger than you are. I'm not saying all newcastle fans are like that but they seems to have more toxic fans than a lot of clubs 

I'm not a league table pundit. I don't go on the BBC website and decide what's good and what's not for each club based on preconceived notions of where the club should be. 

You're interpreting my views based on the way you read football, not the way I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I'm not a league table pundit. I don't go on the BBC website and decide what's good and what's not for each club based on preconceived notions of where the club should be. 

You're interpreting my views based on the way you read football, not the way I do.

I'm just pointing out where you were last season and where you are now. I just think Newcastle fans seem toxic to me. They always seems to think they should be doing better than they are. And the way they have treated some managers is terrible. Admittedly you should be doing better than you are but you aren't because of Ashley. But that still doesn't change the fact that they have treated some managers terribly.  If you were lower than you are right now under Benitez the fans wouldn't be moaning.  But they don't like bruce and that is that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm just pointing out where you were last season and where you are now. I just think Newcastle fans seem toxic to me. They always seems to think they should be doing better than they are. And the way they have treated some managers is terrible. Admittedly you should be doing better than you are but you aren't because of Ashley. But that still doesn't change the fact that they have treated some managers terribly.  If you were lower than you are right now under Benitez the fans wouldn't be moaning.  But they don't like bruce and that is that.

So we are not allowed to express any form of discomfort with being bossed at home by Brighton and Norwich City and having the worst possession stats in Europe without being accused of being toxic and entitled.

We are not allowed to provide a fuller assessment of Bruce unless it matches the Southern media's assessment of what is a good job. Can't even say he's done OK but that's short of good.

Rather than asking if the points are correct and fair, if it isn't positive then it's the result of toxic Bruce hatred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's rich coming from an Arsenal fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's rich coming from an Arsenal fan from a Liverpool fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its rich coming from an Arsenal fan from a Liverpool fan from a Koala.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rick said:

Its rich coming from an Arsenal fan from a Liverpool fan from a Koala.

Koalas are nearly extinct :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Koalas are nearly extinct :(

Thats why we cherish you so much Spike.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any sane football fan should miss David Silva. Man City fans obviously will but as much as De Bruyne is appreciated by all, Silva should be too - phenomenal player to enjoy watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Any sane football fan should miss David Silva. Man City fans obviously will but as much as De Bruyne is appreciated by all, Silva should be too - phenomenal player to enjoy watching.

That's a horrible post. Assuming City will lose Silva, Sane and De Bruyne all in one sentence? Disgusting :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Man City pity passing at the end so they don't score any more goals sums our performance up

Nah, it is was pity possession from Newcastle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rick said:

It's rich coming from an Arsenal fan.

I'm not a toxic fan though. I know arsenal have a toxic fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

So we are not allowed to express any form of discomfort with being bossed at home by Brighton and Norwich City and having the worst possession stats in Europe without being accused of being toxic and entitled.

We are not allowed to provide a fuller assessment of Bruce unless it matches the Southern media's assessment of what is a good job. Can't even say he's done OK but that's short of good.

Rather than asking if the points are correct and fair, if it isn't positive then it's the result of toxic Bruce hatred.

No money has really been invested in the squad though. Staying up is really an achievement under Ashley. The point is though of Newcastle were 15th in the league now fans would still be happy with benitez. But whatever bruce does is wrong. The fact is getting points is the most important thing. Bruce has done ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

No money has really been invested in the squad though. Staying up is really an achievement under Ashley. The point is though of Newcastle were 15th in the league now fans would still be happy with benitez. But whatever bruce does is wrong. The fact is getting points is the most important thing. Bruce has done ok. 

Didn't they spend a shitload on Joelinton? Seems they had money to spend, but only once they let Rafa go tbh.

I wouldn't blame Newcastle fans for being upset about the types of performances they were watching under Bruce in the first half of the season. They were playing some total dogshit football and somehow scrapping points despite the quality of the football - I think @Harvsky said, numerous times too, that the level of football getting those kind of results was "unsustainable."

I think the quality of the football's improved though, so that's got to be encouraging to them.

But matches like this, where you're giving a Pep Guardiola side pretty much free reign of the ball... that's never really going to go well and you let a side that good keep the ball and keep making chances and there's a good chance you'll get absolutely thumped. Not every side is going to be able to weather the storm like Southampton did & hardly ever contesting the ball against a side takes away probably their best weapon against a side like that... counter attacking.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't they spend a shitload on Joelinton? Seems they had money to spend, but only once they let Rafa go tbh.

I wouldn't blame Newcastle fans for being upset about the types of performances they were watching under Bruce in the first half of the season. They were playing some total dogshit football and somehow scrapping points despite the quality of the football - I think @Harvsky said, numerous times too, that the level of football getting those kind of results was "unsustainable."

I think the quality of the football's improved though, so that's got to be encouraging to them.

But matches like this, where you're giving a Pep Guardiola side pretty much free reign of the ball... that's never really going to go well and you let a side that good keep the ball and keep making chances and there's a good chance you'll get absolutely thumped. Not every side is going to be able to weather the storm like Southampton did & hardly ever contesting the ball against a side takes away probably their best weapon against a side like that... counter attacking.

But he still has a squad that hasn't been that heavily invested in. Plus Newcastle have the worst owner in the league. I just think he gets to much stick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent £70m in the summer.

That's fairly irrelevant though. What has squad investment got to do with the lowest possession stats in Europe and being bossed at home by Brighton and Norwich?

It can only matter if you think our squad is considerably worse than they have and everyone in the league. 

Last season wasn't a good season for Newcastle because the first half of it we couldn't score for shit. Yet it ended with great promise and the team looking on the verge of a top 8 challenge for next year. We won 28 points in that 2nd half of the season and could give anyone a game and be in with a chance.

This sort of thing is vital for making an assessment of a season. What you see on the pitch and not on paper is what fans use to judge direction of travel. Many years ago Bobby Robson was finishing mid table, on paper no better than Ruud Gullit before him. The difference is if you were there watching the games you saw a difference and you knew they were working in the right direction and the patience offered to Robson was right. A league table pundit wouldn't know any of that, wouldn't consider it, would reject it.

We are on 18 points for the 2nd half of the season at the munute under Bruce with 4 games to go. We had 25 points in the first half of the season. We were utter shite in that first half and much improved in the 2nd, a completely different side at times. Without the context of what has gone on on the pitch, a league table pundit would think Newcastle don't get 7 more points they have got worse as the season went on.

 

If we smash these last 4 games I might move Bruce from OK to good. If it looks promising for next year. It's not there yet but it is heading that way to his credit. I've already given that praise originally but I'm not going to wipe the first half of the season from my memory. I consider that time an alarm bell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement