talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton 1-3 Liverpool - Wednesday 8th July, 2020

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Robertson coming on for Neco. Bit early I think but then again Neco has had issues defensively. 

I imagine Klopp has plans to play him in the remaining games and didn't want to risk him getting a red with how poor he had been and that Lamptey was doing well against him going forward.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Mel81x said:

Salah looks to his right and makes a pass to Mane and its goal number 3.

Does have a Sturridge-esque selfish tendency sometimes. I suppose he can back it up with the amount of other goals and assists he gets though!

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Don't think he could get the ball from under his feet

Think its actually the first touch after the pass that pushes it incorrectly and allows the defender to track back. If he pulls it back he still gets a chance to square it. Can't complain really because this isn't the first time hes done it.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Does have a Sturridge-esque selfish tendency sometimes. I suppose he can back it up with the amount of other goals and assists he gets though!

He gets lots of assists tbf, I think 11 this season in all competition.

Always thought it's a bit weird Salah gets more shit for not passing at times than players like Mane do. I think Mane's only got 1 assist this season. Always thought that "Selfish Salah never passes to Mane" just because Mane got pissed off one time becoming a thing was a bit weird when you consider the two players records with passing the ball in the final third.

But it's not that uncommon that incredibly good attackers are pretty selfish in front of goal. And both of them are incredibly good attackers.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Always thought it's a bit weird Salah gets more shit for not passing at times than players like Mane do. I think Mane's only got 1 assist this season. Always thought that "Selfish Salah never passes to Mane" just because Mane got pissed off one time becoming a thing was a bit weird when you consider the two players records with passing the ball in the final third.

But it's not that uncommon that incredibly good attackers are pretty selfish in front of goal. And both of them are incredibly good attackers.

I know mate, I said he gets a lot of assists :P 

Almost earnt the right to be selfish at times. Still frustrating for fans and other players at any given moment!

• The title was changed to Brighton 1-3 Liverpool (Salah, 76") - Wednesday 8th July, 2020

Brighton gave us a very good game there, very enjoyable watch. Impressed with Keita in the first half, would have liked him to stay on a bit longer but we will see him again plenty this season.

Good win, on to the next one. Would love that 100points. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

Overall wasn't a dull game and a good watch. Brighton really should have scored one in the second half but it went wide and then they got punished on the corner. I'm not terribly worried about our points tally as giving other players a chance to get game-time that they normally wouldn't get and I am liking the fact that the players are still going out there with a hunger to score and create chances.

Haven't seen any articles appreciating Potter's work. Brighton played a good brand of football and stuck to it. 

Also, very impressed with their young RB.

@selfish player debate.

All strikers (forwards) are selfish. Firmino is the sole exception.

27 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Haven't seen any articles appreciating Potter's work. Brighton played a good brand of football and stuck to it. 

Also, very impressed with their young RB.

@selfish player debate.

All strikers (forwards) are selfish. Firmino is the sole exception.

They were decent at Anfield too. We were hanging on at the end after Allison got sent off if I remember rightly

21 hours ago, Rick said:

Trent is amazing going forward, but nowhere near the same defensively. That can’t be argued surely? 

That’s why I’m suggesting it. 

People said that about Marcelo his entire career.

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But I don't find myself watching Mane saying "he really should have passed it there" like I do with Mo. As a diminutive dribbling player Mo naturally gets plenty of assists, but I still think his decision making and/or selfish steak is more of a limitation than Mane.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

People said that about Marcelo his entire career.

But I don't find myself watching Mane saying "he really should have passed it there" like I do with Mo. As a diminutive dribbling player Mo naturally gets plenty of assists, but I still think his decision making and/or selfish steak is more of a limitation than Mane.

It’s probably because of that one incident skewing your perspective. I think against Man City I said that about Mane 3 times while watching the match.

Good attackers have a selfish streak, unless they’re named Bobby Firmino - the world’s least selfish striker (but he doesn’t score as much as the other two, so there’s that), but I think out of our front 3 the selfish streak is most evident with Mane.

I don’t think it’s a massive issue or anything though. It certainly hasn’t been an issue this season for us, considering we’ve literally run away with the league making the prem genuinely look like a farmers league.

It’s just interesting how that incident has sort of shaped a narrative about Salah being our most selfish attacker when all evidence doesn’t suggest that’s true at all.

Having said all that, I think our attacking performance in the second half of that match indicates that Salah is going in hard for his 3rd golden boot in a row... and the team is desperately trying to feed him the chances to make it happen (Minamino holding onto the pall to pass it to Salah, rather than slotting away a 4th makes more sense viewed through those lenses at least). So I wouldn’t surprise if he starts looking pretty selfish again as he chases that.

13 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Salah is so underappreciated, even by some of our own. Baffles me

After 3 seasons like he’s given us, I don’t see how. I’m happy he’s said he wants to stay here for a long time, because I want him to stay for a long time. He’s an incredible player - there was talk on here (of all fucking places) of us selling him last season and I thought that was the most insane shite I’ve ever heard a Liverpool fan say about a Liverpool player.

He’s pretty clearly one of the best players in our side (imo he’s easily our best attacker, and his competition there is pretty tough... it includes Mane)... and right now we’ve got one of the best sides in the world.

Anyways, I just think some of the narratives around him are just... weird... especially when you consider how brilliant he’s been since joining us. But I’ll take him having a reputation selfish if it means he goes on and gets the golden boot for 3 years in a row like Henry did.

• Subscriber

All attackers are a bit selfish when they see the goal and that doesn't exclude Salah and Mane. Its easy for us to say he could have passed it and I did say it to just highlight that sometimes they get blind-sided by the goal that they can forget the odd pass here and there but if they weren't that way we wouldn't be seeing the results we see. It also breeds healthy competition when you have two players who are striving to get more goals and they both happen to be getting goals to compliment their attack-minded attitude.

Archived