talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2016/17 Premier League Manager of the Season

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

although I don't get how Clement can be nominated but not Shakespeare, especially since Shakespeare was appointed after Clement and has taken us further away from relegation.

Not saying that Shakespeare should win it but don't get how 1 can be nominated and the other can't.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

although I don't get how Clement can be nominated but not Shakespeare, especially since Shakespeare was appointed after Clement and has taken us further away from relegation.

Not saying that Shakespeare should win it but don't get how 1 can be nominated and the other can't.

Thought the same but to be honest it's a moot point as I'd not vote either for the main thing anyway.

Got to be Conte. Followed by Pochettino. Boring selections but fair.

Conte is a nailed on for this.

I like the jobs that Howe & Dyche have done, particularly Dyche because he's done it on quite a limited budget. Bournemouth spend a lot more money than what people think.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

• Subscriber

A one horse race this. Pocchetino, Dyche and Howe deserve to be nominated, but Clement being included is a joke given that he's taken over late in the season and hasn't actually achieved anything more than Allardyce or Shakespeare. I don't see why Pulis should be on the list either unless the season ended in March.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

Because you won the league last season ffs, with the same group of players. No miracle to be able to string a few wins together. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Storts said:

Because you won the league last season ffs, with the same group of players. No miracle to be able to string a few wins together. 

we were in the shite when Ranieri was sacked. Still a job to be done and where did I say it was a miracle? 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

we were in the shite when Ranieri was sacked. Still a job to be done and where did I say it was a miracle? 

Clement is there because he had a far more difficult task. Shakespeare had the easiest job in football. Put a couple of wins together with a title winning team - well done mate, get yourself nominated for manager of the year 

• Administrator
Just now, Storts said:

Clement is there because he had a far more difficult task. Shakespeare had the easiest job in football. Put a couple of wins together with a title winning team - well done mate, get yourself nominated for manager of the year 

ahaha okay then. if you say so. 

• Subscriber

Could argue it either way with Shakespeare. On one hand he's taken over a team that should have been doing better anyway and got them back on track. On another hand he's taken over a team in 19th and has them 3rd in the form table since he's had the job. I don't think it's that ridiculous thinking he should be on there. Would say he's more worthy than Pulis is given they've ended up being about par.

Clement I think is in a similar scenario. He's taken over a team who really shouldn't be going down with their squad.

But it's arguing for arguing's sake really as there are only two contenders, and really for me, only one.

19 hours ago, Cicero said:

Astonished why Guardiola isn't on the list. Thought he did a pretty decent job finally being in a league where you can't win 5 or 6-0 whilst playing Centre Mids at Centre Back. 

He spent 180 million to finish 4 th. No way can he be nominated

Antonio Conte by a landslide. What he done was what coaches are meant to do which is design a format to win games and then with it compete for and win the league. It's textbook blackboard (are we still allowed to say blackboard in this country?) stuff. 

It's not about who else should or shouldn't be nominated. It's about the fact that this season no other coach should even be allowed to get anywhere near Conte's shoes to clean them. They're not worthy! Only one nominee should be in there and let him fight it with himself. :ph34r:

42 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Antonio Conte by a landslide. What he done was what coaches are meant to do which is design a format to win games and then with it compete for and win the league. It's textbook blackboard (are we still allowed to say blackboard in this country?) stuff. 

It's not about who else should or shouldn't be nominated. It's about the fact that this season no other coach should even be allowed to get anywhere near Conte's shows to clean them. They're not worthy!

I'm going to agree that Conte deserves to win it because he's done a great job but I'd like to remind you (even though nobody else is worthy) of how fortunate Conte has been in his first season. 

Injuries to key players. In fact in Chelsea's case, any injuries at all. 

I'm going to use us as an example because obviously I have more knowledge of our situation than other clubs (but I know other clubs have suffered with injury problems as well). 

We haven't had our first 11 available for 95% of this season. For a significant amount of time we've lost Coutinho, Mane, Sturridge, Henderson, Lallana, all at the same time in some periods and we've only been able to play our first choice CB's for about 50% of games. Even Emre Can has been playing the season through injections. Our bench for the second half of the season has been made up of teenagers from the under 23's. 

Conte has had the luxury of having basically zero injuries for the duration of this season. Imagine they had lost Hazard, Costa, Kante, Matic, Pedro as well as not being able to play their first choice CB's for large parts of the season? 

They have been brilliant Chelsea and I'm not taking anything away from them but they have been extremely lucky to have been able to play basically the same 11, week in week out and with no European football it's just all fell into place. 

So no, I'm not wearing it that nobody else is worthy because although Conte has been good, he's also been extremely fortunate in his first year in England  

Archived