• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 0-3 Man Utd - Thursday 9th July, 2020

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mpache said:

"Var is the future" according to many. *sigh*

VAR worked fantastically to be fair. It recorded the incident and allowed it to be reviewed. When you’ve got Stevie Wonder at Stockley Park, you can’t blame the technology. 

Less penalty decisions are incorrect than ever. But that just makes it more frustrating when they're wrong. 

3 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Potential MI6 involvement maybe? 

Not only has COVID disrupted your form but suspiciously as everywhere recovers after 3 months in lockdown where there shouldn't be much if any community spread of the virus it flares up out of nowhere in Leicester.

When asked which team he supports, Boris Johnson said all of the London clubs. Chelsea and Manchester United, the two biggest London clubs are taking top 4 spots from you.

Everything points to a state plot against Leicester City, Walkers crisps and school uniform manufacturers.

I head Viichais chopper was hit with the same kinda missile they nailed the pentagon with.

7 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Well after that penalty it's clear that either us or Leicester won't be in the Champions League this season. The decisions are shocking and there are so obvious, no one comes close to that amount of 13 this season.

4004A0B2-2F64-4817-8603-B3886F16FD4B.gif

Gabriel Marcotti made a good point that not long ago assistant refs were just there to run the line, now they’re genuinely refs. Not all great refs make good assistants and not all assistants make great refs...same will be for VAR, eventually they will find the refs that are good at dealing with VAR in real time

Just a process to go through

• Subscriber

There's no point crying about it but there's a common theme of Manchester United and Liverpool having seasons every so often where it's just clear that they get the rub of the green more than the majority of the league. It's not a myth, it's just there. Not every season, and I'm not saying it's even deliberate bias, nor am I seeking to explain what else it is because this is only an observation. Man City have seemed to benefit from it too in recent seasons. It comes in phases, it isn't constant, but it has always been there.

There's also absolutely no way that you can ever get their fans to see it which is weird because when Liverpool are benefiting from the rub of the green, Man Utd fans can see it clear as day like the rest of us and vice versa. I'm way short of subscribing to conscious bias or corruption but you simply can't find me an example of another team getting the same number of penalties and controversial decisions going in their favour over a similar length of time as United and Liverpool seem to get every so often. The best one I can think of is when Andy Johnson scored about 12 penalties for Crystal Palace in about 2005 but I can't remember if that was controversial penalties or just a massive coincidence because I was 11-12 years old at the time.

Fully expecting to get rabidly attacked for this but I'm confident that other people who don't support the "big" clubs will see what I'm driving at.

42 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There's no point crying about it but there's a common theme of Manchester United and Liverpool having seasons every so often where it's just clear that they get the rub of the green more than the majority of the league. It's not a myth, it's just there. Not every season, and I'm not saying it's even deliberate bias, nor am I seeking to explain what else it is because this is only an observation. Man City have seemed to benefit from it too in recent seasons. It comes in phases, it isn't constant, but it has always been there.

There's also absolutely no way that you can ever get their fans to see it which is weird because when Liverpool are benefiting from the rub of the green, Man Utd fans can see it clear as day like the rest of us and vice versa. I'm way short of subscribing to conscious bias or corruption but you simply can't find me an example of another team getting the same number of penalties and controversial decisions going in their favour over a similar length of time as United and Liverpool seem to get every so often. The best one I can think of is when Andy Johnson scored about 12 penalties for Crystal Palace in about 2005 but I can't remember if that was controversial penalties or just a massive coincidence because I was 11-12 years old at the time.

Fully expecting to get rabidly attacked for this but I'm confident that other people who don't support the "big" clubs will see what I'm driving at.

It used to be the rub of the green. Now it’s just incompetence. Just look at the penalty Southampton got. Nobody is talking about that though (at least not being as blown up proportionately) in the media because United get clicks. People banging on about being given 13 penalties as well. I’d say they were all stonewall bar 2. Bar the last 2 seasons, we were given far less penalties....

17/18 - 3

16/17 - 4

15/16 - 3

14/15 - 5

13/15 - 5

So that’s 5 straight seasons where plenty of clubs had more penalties than us. 

Lol we’re not even in the top 5 clubs who’ve received penalties this season, why the fuck are you dragging us into this.

We’ve only got 5 penalties this season and we spend more time in the opposition box than any other team other than Man City, who have 10 penalties.

So leave us out of this pal, just because Everton don’t spend any time in the opposition box and have only received one penalty this year.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lol we’re not even in the top 5 clubs who’ve received penalties this season, why the fuck are you dragging us into this.

We’ve only got 5 penalties this season and we spend more time in the opposition box than any other team other than Man City, who have 10 penalties.

So leave us out of this pal, just because Everton don’t spend any time in the opposition box and have only received one penalty this year.

To be fair, he wasn't just on about this season, just that there are seasons where it's perceived the likes of Liverpool & Man Utd get more decisions going there way i.e. penalties, than other teams. 

For me, it's more Man Utd than Liverpool. Think last season Man Utd got the most as well. 

You definitely had one dodgy penalty given in your favour at Anfield this season :ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Touchy much? I never said you had it this season. In fact I quite literally put in my post "not every season". I said it seems to happen in patches every few seasons. It was either last season or the season before that Salah particularly won a bunch of penalties that most would call pretty soft on average with the old "get touched, arch back, pull screaming face, profit" approach.

"Leave us out of this" then bring Everton into it three words later. Might be some sort of record there. Credit where credit's due.

• Subscriber

Love how people pretend I'm wrong. I honestly don't know what you have to watch to think there isn't something fishy going on.

No conspiracy specifically against Leicester. There's definitely an agenda to get Manchester United into the Champions League though. We just happen to be occupying 4th spot.

If anyone seriously thinks it's squeaky clean after last night then fair play, I really do envy your naivety.

• Subscriber

Also, I totally take the point of it potentially being subconscious bias from the officials - weakness if you like, to not want to put more pressure on themselves, it makes their lives easier to give the biggest teams the decisions, although to me that makes it no more acceptable.

I do just think if there was actual corruption, what scenario would actually pan out? It cannot be far off what we're seeing.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

To be fair, he wasn't just on about this season, just that there are seasons where it's perceived the likes of Liverpool & Man Utd get more decisions going there way i.e. penalties, than other teams. 

For me, it's more Man Utd than Liverpool. Think last season Man Utd got the most as well. 

You definitely had one dodgy penalty given in your favour at Anfield this season :ph34r:

Tbh I think most teams that win more penalties than other sides win more penalties primarily because they spend more time in the opposition's box. And honestly, in the premier league, I think most players are divers... if they get touched in the box and they can't keep control of the ball, they're going to go down (and tbh I wouldn't be surprised if some coaches don't criticise them). The stakes are high and the pressure is always on to get a result, with most clubs, so players go down softly. I'd have hoped VAR would put a stop to that, but I don't really see it ever changing tbh... at least not the way video review works in football in it's current state. But I think this whole "holier than thou" bullshit about some of our players, or Citys, or even... fucking United's (I hate to admit) is bullshit - and I can pretty much think of instances in every match I've seen this season, and every season, in the last 10 years where I've thought "lol what a fucking dive".

Granted, I'll probably still continue to call it out and hold biases, as will everyone else... because you know, we're football fans and we're biased.

Like this season, if I had to guess which sides had the most penalties... I'd say City, us, you, Man United, Chelsea and/or Wolves. And I think if you look at the list... that's pretty accurate (although I was sort of surprised by how many more penalties both Manchester sides had been awarded). And I'd just be basing that mostly off the fact that these are sides that I think have more of the ball in the opposition box (so more chances to win penalties).

But I don't think that's really the same as these insane VAR incompetence errors. Like James winning a penalty for a blatant dive (in that same match... I think Rashford had a totally legitimate penalty claim disregarded by VAR as not a clear and convincing error) or getting a penalty for fouling someone like in this match... there really just is no excuse for incompetence like that. You've got a video review, it's clear and obvious that a penalty is the wrong decision to award a penalty when under the laws of the game... there is no fucking penalty. It's just unacceptable really.

And I'm sure it really is just incompetence and me (being a Liverpool fan) having these memories related to wrongfully awarded penalties with United, rather than United actually being favoured by referees. But then I remember the boss of the referees is Mike Riley and a part of me thinks.... "well, maaaaaaaayybeee" - but I think the fact that getting caught would ruin many careers in a billion pound industry makes that unlikely. At least you'd hope so.

But I'm pretty sure it's just we have shit referees more than corruption, and it doesn't help when we've got one of the worst referees I've ever seen in my lifetime as the head of all referees in the country. But I think video review just makes it more obvious our referees are shiiiiiiiite.

At the end of the day, I think referees need more fucking training and we need to hold them to a higher standard. And maybe things like having the audio of the ref recorded so we can hear their thinking with decisions real-time would go a long way to improving the transparency of the refereeing.

Also sack Mike Riley FFS. How the fuck did he even get that job? He was an abysmal referee.

Actually, looking at last year... my "statistical" theory seems a bit like bullshit because you aren't going to convince me that Palace and United spent more time in the box than Liverpool or City did last season (or this season in United's case). Palace getting a lot of penalties last season, though, seems to have balanced out by them barely getting any this season. Burnley... don't get very many penalties generally. Nor do Newcastle.

My theory does seem to be kind of backed up by Bournemouth though. They were pretty decent last season, and were a fairly attacking and positive side last season and they won a lot of penalties. This year they've mostly been useless shite and... only 2 penalties.

s8roothca2a51.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Touchy much? I never said you had it this season. In fact I quite literally put in my post "not every season". I said it seems to happen in patches every few seasons. It was either last season or the season before that Salah particularly won a bunch of penalties that most would call pretty soft on average with the old "get touched, arch back, pull screaming face, profit" approach.

"Leave us out of this" then bring Everton into it three words later. Might be some sort of record there. Credit where credit's due.

You did actually put us in the same bracket as Utd who have had 25 penalties given in the past 2 seasons compared to our 12. .

We aren't even close to being given the most penalties in a season even if you go back 5 years. in fact if i remember correctly, around 3-4 years ago we were the only team not to be awarded a penalty at home throughout a season. You show me one of these 'patches' where Liverpool have been awarded the most penalties in a season? 

Manchester ufifa however... are winning around double second place for the past 2 seasons.

Funny that. 

• Subscriber

It's more than just the penalties, it's about marginals going in favour of the bigger clubs on a regular basis, but like I said you'll never see it so if you want I'll just let you have this one.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think one thing we can all agree on is that Mike Riley should be sacked.

I’d also argue we should strip him of his citizenship and kick him out of the country.

I'm also in favour of storming Stockley Park, but this would be a good starting point.

This year and last United have had a lot of penalties 25, so far.  But we had dry spell for a few years and questions where being asked why United didnt get any penalties any more.

2017-18  3 penalties 

2016-17  4 penalties 

2015-16  3 penalties 

2014-15  4 penalties 

2013-14  5 penalties

2012-13  5 penalties 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

This year and last United have had a lot of penalties 25, so far.  But we had dry spell for a few years and questions where being asked why United didnt get any penalties any more.

2017-18  3 penalties 

2016-17  4 penalties 

2015-16  3 penalties 

2014-15  4 penalties 

2013-14  5 penalties

2012-13  5 penalties 

Coincided with Fergie leaving... 

Archived