The better place to talk football.

F2 2020 (Season Ended)

football forum

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, nudge said:

WHAT. A. RACE!!!

I didn't watch it as I had to get some fresh air after waiting for F1 Qualifying for longer than expected. Can you sum it up for me please? Mick was great? :o 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I didn't watch it as I had to get some fresh air after waiting for F1 Qualifying for longer than expected. Can you sum it up for me please? Mick was great? :o 

It just had everything! Markelov went into gravel even before the warmup lap. First it seemed that the race would be canceled due to rain, there was a delay of almost two hours, then finally it was given a go (safety car start, around 5 laps). And then it was just a joy to watch! A lot of daring overtakes with no collisions, Lundgaard was particularly great, passing one car after another (Daruvala, Shwartzman, Ghiotto), but his race was ruined by a slow pit stop which dropped him to 6th. Tsunoda led from P1 for the majority of the race, did everything right but then his team radio broke and he couldn't hear the team calling him to pit, so when he eventually pitted, he lost his lead and dropped down to 4th, behind Zhou, Shwartzman and Ilott. At about the same moment when Tsunoda rejoined the track, Shwartzman overtook Zhou for the lead. Tsunoda didn't give up though and pushed all the way through, overtaking both Ilott and Zhou and getting within half a second off Shwartzman on the last lap, but was unable to overtake him, so finished P2. Shwartzman was unbelievable, great pace and perfect decision making. A heartbrake for Tsunoda, as it was those team radio issues that cost him the win. Mick's first stint wasn't anything special, but after he pitted, he was absolutely flying! Went from 9th to 4th, and missed the podium by just 0,1s as he battled Zhou on the last lap... Nobody crashed, despite poor track conditions. Great battles all over the track, daring but clean racing. Do yourself a favour and watch a replay, it was a joy. Also the podium ceremony was very...bizarre xD 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

It just had everything! Markelov went into gravel even before the warmup lap. First it seemed that the race would be canceled due to rain, there was a delay of almost two hours, then finally it was given a go (safety car start, around 5 laps). And then it was just a joy to watch! A lot of daring overtakes with no collisions, Lundgaard was particularly great, passing one car after another (Daruvala, Shwartzman, Ghiotto), but his race was ruined by a slow pit stop which dropped him to 6th. Tsunoda led from P1 for the majority of the race, did everything right but then his team radio broke and he couldn't hear the team calling him to pit, so when he eventually pitted, he lost his lead and dropped down to 4th, behind Zhou, Shwartzman and Ilott. At about the same moment when Tsunoda rejoined the track, Shwartzman overtook Zhou for the lead. Tsunoda didn't give up though and pushed all the way through, overtaking both Ilott and Zhou and getting within half a second off Shwartzman on the last lap, but was unable to overtake him, so finished P2. A heartbrake for him, as it was those team radio issues that cost him the win. Mick's first stint wasn't anything special, but after he pitted, he was absolutely flying! Went from 9th to 4th, and missed the podium by just 0,1s as he battled Zhou on the last lap... Nobody crashed, despite poor track conditions. Great battles all over the track, daring but clean racing. Do yourself a favour and watch a replay, it was a joy. Also the podium ceremony was very...bizarre xD 

Damn, I should have watched it. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Damn, I should have watched it. 

It was definitely worth the 2 hour wait! :D It makes a difference that the whole grid is so damn talented. 

The only downside is that Ticktum finished 8th, so will start tomorrow's sprint race on pole ¬¬

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

It was definitely worth the 2 hour wait! :D It makes a difference that the whole grid is so damn talented. 

The only downside is that Ticktum finished 8th, so will start tomorrow's sprint race on pole ¬¬

Urgh, hope he crashes at the start. Big shame that such talent is wasted on a piece of shit. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yeah, just 3 months ago :(

I agree - that was a fantastic race, and after hearing him dedicate it to his Dad...I want to see what he can do (maybe a serious Championship contender)? 

Is the Prema team is best F2 team alongside Renault maybe? Prema appears to be Ferrari 2.0, and have had some great drivers. 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Eco said:

I agree - that was a fantastic race, and after hearing him dedicate it to his Dad...I want to see what he can do (maybe a serious Championship contender)? 

Is the Prema team is best F2 team alongside Renault maybe? Prema appears to be Ferrari 2.0, and have had some great drivers. 

He will make it to F1 for sure, just a question of time. Definitely one of the candidates for F2 championship too. 

Renault doesn't have a F2 team :) Prema is the best team in F3 and completely dominating that series, but I would say that there's much more competition in F2. Prema were dominating for a while when they joined the series, but actually got worse in recent years. DAMS has always been the team to beat, Art GP and Carlin are other top teams. 

• The title was changed to F2 2020 - Thread (Next Up: Round 3 - Hungary)
  • The title was changed to F2 2020 (Season Ended)

Archived