Reverse Fixture
Burnley 0-3 Liverpool

Recent Form
Liverpool - DWLWW
Burnley - LWDWW

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think Burnley have a fair few injuries. Interesting that they only made one sub against West Ham too. I wouldn't say that would be ideal preparation for a trip to Anfield for a side not used to playing two games a week

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What a save from Pope. I wonder if he’s close to starting for England, with his form being pretty good and Pickford’s wobbly form over the year.

I'm happy with either but Pope is edging it for me right now.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I'm happy with either but Pope is edging it for me right now.

It’s hard to argue against Pickford not being the England #1 tbh, because while he’s not been as good at Everton lately... he’s never really ever looked bad for England. There’s something to be said about stability, especially at the back, in international football. I think for England we’d be wanting Maguire, Gomez (probably, right?) and Pickford/Pope being as comfortable and familiar with each other as possible. Pickford’s got the edge there as he’s been a really good starting keeper for England.

But it’s hard to argue against Pope not getting more chances based on merit. I think he’s been the best English keeper this season. I do think being the England keeper may require a different skill set than being Burnley’s keeper.

• The title was changed to Liverpool (Robertson, 34") 1-0 Burnley - Saturday 11th July, 2020
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pope really is doing his best to convince me he should be the England #1

I agree with your earlier post on the subject. England I think have jumped ship on some of their previous keepers a bit early. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree with your earlier post on the subject. England I think have jumped ship on some of their previous keepers a bit early. 

Tbf we’ve not had many great keepers since Seaman. David James was the best... and he was nicknamed Calamity James xD - and some England keepers never had any business playing for the national side (Rob Green).

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf we’ve not had many great keepers since Seaman. David James was the best... and he was nicknamed Calamity James xD - and some England keepers never had any business playing for the national side (Rob Green).

True but keeping is a confidence game. Being spat out from the England setup after initial hype has a self fulfilling prophecy effect imo.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

True but keeping is a confidence game. Being spat out from the England setup after initial hype has a self fulfilling prophecy effect imo.

For some reason some of our keepers, like Robinson and Hart, drop off in quality pretty massively at their clubs before they got the axe with England though.

I’m also not saying Pickford should never play for England again. But Pope’s form this season is certainly a consideration for Southgate now, or at least it should be imo.

He’s pretty much kept Burnley still in this with a number of high quality saves against some very good shots.

• Subscriber

If you were choosing a new England keeper now it would be hard to argue against Pope or even Henderson ahead of Pickford. It's true though that Pickford's England form has saved him and it would seem pretty unjustified to drop him until he's actually had a bad game for England. I actually think getting dropped from the England starting lineup could be the best tonic for his recent club form but I also fear that he has the double curse of playing for Everton and being England number one so his career's probably ruined already.

Anyway, so that I'm not fully off topic, a nice fat blank from Mane and Salah would be welcome for FPL purposes.

16 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

If you were choosing a new England keeper now it would be hard to argue against Pope or even Henderson ahead of Pickford. It's true though that Pickford's England form has saved him and it would seem pretty unjustified to drop him until he's actually had a bad game for England. I actually think getting dropped from the England starting lineup could be the best tonic for his recent club form but I also fear that he has the double curse of playing for Everton and being England number one so his career's probably ruined already.

Anyway, so that I'm not fully off topic, a nice fat blank from Mane and Salah would be welcome for FPL purposes.

Pickford’s also got much better distribution than Pope imo, which is a big thing to consider with England... since we’d be having more of the ball than Burnley.

I went for a piss and they equalised :( 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pickford’s also got much better distribution than Pope imo, which is a big thing to consider with England... since we’d be having more of the ball than Burnley.

I went for a piss and they equalised :( 

Go for a piss again :ph34r:

• The title was changed to Liverpool 1-1 Burnley - Saturday 11th July, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived