talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheff Utd 3-0 Chelsea - Saturday 11th July, 2020

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It has been our undoing today and only Spurs and Arsenals' worse form this season has given us a position that is above our station currently.. I am not even sure that Lampard has the skill set to be a defensive manager, or should I say be able to get the best out of them.. Some of our defending has been comic gold and they seem totally incapable of learning from their own mistakes.. 

As much as Lampard might not get the best out of them, it helps if you have adequate defenders in the first place. All season they've not been able to do basics, especially Christensen who sometimes defends like Luiz, ends up ball-watching as opposed to marking your man. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang your boots up Christensen. Rudiger needs to be demoted to a football agent instead of an actual center back. That’s all he’s good for. 

So glad I didn’t watch that shower of shit. Predictable. 

On 08/08/2019 at 21:36, carefreeluke said:

Positive of Luiz leaving is that it means there will be a lot more game time for Christensen and Zouma. Both at the moment you would say have their drawbacks but the potential in both of them is exciting. Providing everything goes well at 23 and 24 I would like to think they could be our starting centre backs for the significant future. They need to both iron out some things in their games but with a good amount of game time, you'd hope they'd come on a lot and be able to form a decent partnership. Rudiger's still recovering so the start of the season is a good opportunity for them both to hit it off and stake a claim to be the starters for the rest of the season. The Christensen and Zouma partnership excites me and I'd prefer them both to Rudiger provided that they show improvements where necessary. This is a massive season for them.

@Bluewolf

I said this at the beginning of the season. It was a massive season for all the centre backs and most of their auditions haven't gone well at all. I think rightly the priority was for us to strengthen in attack but the performances of the defenders this season also means we have to strengthen defensively. Overall, Zouma, Tomori, and James have been probably the best performers which isn't saying much but they too have had moments this season where they've been suspect. James for example, despite the plaudits he got earlier this season has come back after the quarantine off the pace. Azpilicueta has improved a lot recently and is probably our best defender on current form but was underperforming in the first half of the campaign. Zouma has probably been the most consistent but has been caught out a few times this season as well, he was poor today against Sheffield United for example. A lot of Chelsea fans said Rudiger was going to come back from injury and save us but he's decapitated and looks the worst of a bad bunch, regardless, he's never been someone I rated that highly anyway. Despite how much I've complained about the defenders this season, they are capable of much better, I don't think we need a massive overhaul at the back but it would be worthwhile looking at how we can strengthen.

Food for thought.

I think you got to hand it to the Blades.

When they lost to Newcastle and Man U heavily, and then beaten by arsenal in the cup, there was an underlying feeling they had hit the wall and were going to fall away a little.

Then they beat Spurs, Wolves and Chelsea and the ship has been well and truly steadied. Momentum built again and confidence well and truly high.

You have to salute Chris Wilder for that. You know full well he would have drummed it into them not to let the season go to waste after doing so well. He always pushes and pushes and demands they try to their maximum and he's picked them up and rejuvenated them.

Fair play because they deserve to finish the season as high as possible.

Wilder has introduced this new over-loading areas tactic with the overlapping centre backs combining it and we often look like we have more men on the pitch. The crazy thing is, every manager now knows our tactics but they still can't overcome them. Lampard was well aware of the danger with us from his time at Derby and teams are changing their sides to counter us but to no avail; the first few results after the break were disastrous but as Lucas mentioned, just goes to show WIlder's man-management skills in getting us through that period. 

Archived