talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Championship - Promotion Run-In

football forum

As Leeds score to go up 3-0 on Stoke, it's past time that we focus on the tense race in the Championship for both Automatic Promotion, and the playoffs. 

After 42 Games - Here is how the table stands

1. Leeds United [81pts]
  2. West Brom [80pts]
  3. Brentford [75pts]
  4. Fulham [73pts]
  5. Nottingham Forest [68pts]
  6. Cardiff City [64pts]
  7. Swansea City [63pts]
  8. PNE [61pts]
  9. Derby County [61pts]
  10. Blackburn Rovers [59pts]
  11. Millwall [59pts]
  12. Bristol City [58pts]

Week 43 Fixtures
Fulham vs Cardiff City (Friday)

Derby County vs
Brentford (Saturday)
PNE vs Nottingham Forest
Blackburn Rovers vs West Brom
Hull City vs Millwall
Middlesborough vs Bristol City

Swansea City vs Leeds United (Sunday)

Week 43 Outlook
Such a massive weekend for the Championship ahead.

@Lucas will be the first to tell you that Leeds have been unlucky to have to consistently play after Brentford and West Brom, thus playing 'catch up', but this weekend that could be a massive boast to them if either of those teams were to drop points. The match of the weekend is in fact the Leeds match, who will likely sure up automatic promotion with any points from their match against Swansea, as the following week they play the woeful and soon-to-be relegated Barnsley. 

The Magic number at this point for Leeds to clinch is 7 (using GD as the tie breaker, which currently goes in Brentford's favor).

How do you see the final promotion pushes ending this year? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Think Blackburn, Millwall and Bristol City mathematically should still be considered. Perhaps not the latter because of their shit form but they're only 5/6 pts off 6th spot.

Think the top 2 will remain. Same with Brentford & Fulham in their play-off spots. The other 2 will probably go right own to the wire.

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Think Blackburn, Millwall and Bristol City mathematically should still be considered. Perhaps not the latter because of their shit form but they're only 5/6 pts off 6th spot.

Think the top 2 will remain. Same with Brentford & Fulham in their play-off spots. The other 2 will probably go right own to the wire.

Updated it with the 3 teams. 

Very exciting couple of weeks ahead for the Championship. 

• Administrator

Leeds' run-in:

Swansea away
Barnsley home
Derby away
Charlton home

West Brom run-in:

Blackburn away
Fulham home
Huddersfield away
QPR home

Similar-ish standard of opponents.

Swansea/Derby & Blackburn/Fulham is against play-off opposition.
Barnsley/Charlton & Huddersfield trying to avoid relegation.

Hope Leeds can hold on to the title. While they probably both will get automatically promoted, Leeds do deserve the title. They just have more about them and are more exciting than West Brom to watch.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Hope Leeds can hold on to the title. While they probably both will get automatically promoted, Leeds do deserve the title. They just have more about them and are more exciting than West Brom to watch.

I would love to see Leeds win the title as well, however just securing up Automatic is all I really care about. This teams needs to be in the EPL, and I would love to see what Biesla can do in the top division. 

I can’t see us slipping up so it’s down to West Brom to keep winning, but they seem to have found some form.

Darren Moore was a guest watch our game against them and he felt they’d be fine because the chance creation was there, looks like he’s correct. Hopefully Blackburn and Fulham can do a job on them

Fully expect WBA and Brentford to win to be honest. Baggies have turned a corner and Brentford are on a hell of a run. Obviously would love an unexpected surprise somewhere but I don't count on it.

I think we're facing a really tough game Sunday, Swansea are one of those sides that have weapons to hurt you. Brewster being one.

But ultimately, I think it's down to if we take our chances. We will have more of the ball and I should imagine we will have twice as many attempts, but if we don't take our chances we'll be flirting with danger.

Win and I think that will be the moment I start to believe it will happen.

• Administrator

West Brom draw!

Massive result for Leeds where playing after could work in their favour, but more so for Brentford who could go level in their next game. West Brom play before both though in mid-week.

West Brom are going to be feeling a bit of pressure now, not just because they dropped two points but also because their next opponents are an in form Fulham who have gone 4 for 4 of late.

That will be a massive win for them if they manage that but I'm not so sure.

Got to win tomorrow. Just keep going Leeds. Win tomorrow and we're nearly there.

Was just thinking about the ideal scenario, and for me, I think that's to have Leeds and Brentford go up automatically, and the Forest via the playoffs. 

That would be a great watch in the EPL next year

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Eco said:

Was just thinking about the ideal scenario, and for me, I think that's to have Leeds and Brentford go up automatically, and the Forest via the playoffs. 

Ah, that post started off so well :(

8 hours ago, Eco said:

Have to disagree with Forest, they play awful football and would go straight back down. 

I think the best thing for the league would be for Leeds, us and West Brom to go up. 3 genuinely good attacking sides with good defensive records to boot.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Danny said:

Have to disagree with Forest, they play awful football and would go straight back down. 

I think the best thing for the league would be for Leeds, us and West Brom to go up. 3 genuinely good attacking sides with good defensive records to boot.

West Brom would probably come back down as well to be honest. They are the epitome of yo-yo club these days.. 

How are Brentford when under pressure? By that I mean you are now pretty much in the best position to go up with Leeds, so will players feel pressure to maintain that? As opposed to chasing the front 2 knowing you have a playoff spot and playing with a bit more freedom? Seen in previous seasons that sometimes pressure has got to the side and you've tailed off. Gladly this season is better, mind. Any hint of complacency now or reckon you can finish off the remaining 3 games by finishing top 2?

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

West Brom would probably come back down as well to be honest. They are the epitome of yo-yo club these days.. 

How are Brentford when under pressure? By that I mean you are now pretty much in the best position to go up with Leeds, so will players feel pressure to maintain that? As opposed to chasing the front 2 knowing you have a playoff spot and playing with a bit more freedom? Seen in previous seasons that sometimes pressure has got to the side and you've tailed off. Gladly this season is better, mind. Any hint of complacency now or reckon you can finish off the remaining 3 games by finishing top 2?

Yeah they’ve been a yoyo club but with this squad and Billic they have something good to build on, entertaining too. Forest would literally be an easy 6 points for most sides

And don’t get me wrong I know West Brom as a club are seen as that boring yoyo category side, like what Birmingham and Sunderland used to be, what Newcastle and West Ham are now. But as a footballing side they have quality and will play good entertaining football, with a manager who delivered good football and results at West Ham before the Dildo brothers ruined everything.

As it is now West Brom are better places to go up than we are as they have more points, until we can catch them level it’s them and Leeds with the best standing. But we’ve won 5 on the bounce since the restart, against tough opposition. We’ve got a game by game mentality and as good as our attack is the entire team live to defend, to go a further 3 games without losing or drawing will be tough but I think we’re capable of it. Especially with everyone back fit, we have the best defensive duo in the Championship in Pinnock and Jansson. We had a slump when Jansson was injured but both are fit and healthy, hopefully our good defensive record should keep on. We beat Derby 3-1 and Jansson was more concerned about not keeping a clean sheet

4 hours ago, Danny said:

You misunderstand, I don't mean in terms of football style, I'm solely speaking of new blood (Brentford) plus two legends that haven't seen top flight football in awhile. (Forest and Leeds)

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Leeds yes.

Forest no. 

Ha - 

Have you been there before? I've watched to see both the City Ground and the Meadow right beside one another. 

40 minutes ago, Eco said:

You misunderstand, I don't mean in terms of football style, I'm solely speaking of new blood (Brentford) plus two legends that haven't seen top flight football in awhile. (Forest and Leeds)

No I get why you’re saying it, a big club that haven’t been up in over 2 decades. But they would not be good enough, Leeds, Brentford, WBA and even Fulham are all equipped to stay up and make something of it

Just now, Danny said:

No I get why you’re saying it, a big club that haven’t been up in over 2 decades. But they would not be good enough, Leeds, Brentford, WBA and even Fulham are all equipped to stay up and make something of it

I'm tired to watching WBA go up...then down...then up...then back down. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Fulham back up. 

Though I don’t get the hype behind Forest tbh, of course they’ve the league title and double European Cup win in the late 70s, the fairytale of Brian Clough. But outside of that there no different to most clubs with their sort of fanbase and they’ve been dead shit for 2 decades. Less a fallen giant and more the we’re just punching well above their weight before

People who remember their glory days might think differently in the same way I’ll always see Leicester as slightly exciting because of that title win, but Forest are a side that have never really excited me.

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm tired to watching WBA go up...then down...then up...then back down. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Fulham back up. 

Yeah I get that, I think as long as Billic is there though they’ll be more exciting than previously 

• Administrator

Looking at the next round of fixtures, there are some fantastic propositions in the play-off/promotion picture!

West Brom vs Fulham
Cardiff vs Derby
Brentford vs Preston
Nottm Forest vs Swansea
Millwall vs Blackburn

Ironically as much as there are still possibilities, even just mathematical, of promotion/play-offs for these sides, after this next round of fixtures are done the number of teams that still have anything to play for this season will significantly come down.

Archived