Udinese vs Sampdoria
Napoli vs AC Milan, 20.45

Monday 13th July, 2020
Inter vs Torino, 20.45

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Stan said:

Lazio lose! Late push for Europe for Sassuolo?!

Typical, that's the 3rd loss in a row for Lazio in Serie A, they and Inter Milan have been stuttering so much recently. My bet is that Atalanta will finish 2nd behind Juve at the end of the Serie A season.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Michael said:

Typical, that's the 3rd loss in a row for Lazio in Serie A, they and Inter Milan have been stuttering so much recently. My bet is that Atalanta will finish 2nd behind Juve at the end of the Serie A season.

That would be a hell of an achievement for Atalanta considering their success in CL this season as well.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

That would be a hell of an achievement for Atalanta considering their success in CL this season as well.

Yes it would be, but from what I have seen, they are the most convincing side in Serie A along with Juventus.

Atalanta very unfortunate not to get the three points there. Two accidental handballs, and two Ronaldo penalties denied them.

The handball/penalty rules need to be looked at. I don't have a solution to suggest, but on that 2nd one, the ball is on its way out of the area, going away from goal. A penalty isn't a punishment that's equal to the affect the handball had on the game. Why should they be given a chance to score a goal from 12 yards? They were nowhere near scoring a goal when the ball hit his hand.

I thought that Juventus were very lucky to snatch the draw in this game against Atalanta. Two penalties awarded to Juventus, for two handballs that were both just inside the penalty area. Juve were very fortunate indeed.

Atalanta played their usual exciting football and Ruslan Malinovskyi had another great game when he came on. He had a great effort go narrowly wide a few minutes after coming on, as he trapped the ball with his right foot and quickly shot with his left. But a few minutes later, he scored yet another beautiful goal, as he controlled the ball with his right foot, before then unleashing a rocket of a shot that beat both the Juventus defence and Szczesny in goal to give Atalanta the lead. Malinovskyi gets so much power and ferocity behind his shots, that it is such a frightening proposition for the opposition. Several of his goals for Atalanta must be contenders for goal of the season in Serie A. I can't actually think of a player in the world with a better long range shot than him right now. He has been superb with his goals this season.

As for Atalanta, on this form, I think that they are currently playing the best football in Serie A. However, Juventus will inevitably win the league, as they have a very healthy points lead with only 6 league matches remaining.

15 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Zapata! 1-0 Atalanta. 

So far, Juventus has been totally dominated. 

Atalanta, at the moment, is the 2d best team in Europe, in my opinion, only behind Bayern. 

Come on, they are playing well, but that's a bit of a stretch. I can think of many clubs better than Atalanta, Man City being the obvious one. Man City proved they were easily a better side than Atalanta in the group stage of the Champions League, when they thrashed them 5-1. Even if you are talking about current form, City have won their last two Premier league games 5-0. Heck even Dinamo Zagreb thrashed Atalanta 4-0 in the Champions League this season.

Atalanta are a very good side, but they are far from being the 2nd best in Europe, with all due respect to them.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Michael said:

Come on, they are playing well, but that's a bit of a stretch. I can think of many clubs better than Atalanta, Man City being the obvious one. Man City proved they were easily a better side than Atalanta in the group stage of the Champions League, when they thrashed them 5-1. Even if you are talking about current form, City have won their last two Premier league games 5-0. Heck even Dinamo Zagreb thrashed Atalanta 4-0 in the Champions League this season.

Atalanta are a very good side, but they are far from being the 2nd best in Europe, with all due respect to them.

I think it's a bit of a stretch as well but having said that, Man City are playing sides with nothing to play for and didn't really perform when it mattered. They can play now with a bit more relaxed feel about them and less pressure.

Atalanta play a great 'brand' of football. Great to watch and while not the 2nd best team in Europe arguably, they're definitely high up on the list. I'd much rather watch them than Juve!

Liverpool & Bayern are top 2, I'd say.

47 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think it's a bit of a stretch as well but having said that, Man City are playing sides with nothing to play for and didn't really perform when it mattered. They can play now with a bit more relaxed feel about them and less pressure.

Atalanta play a great 'brand' of football. Great to watch and while not the 2nd best team in Europe arguably, they're definitely high up on the list. I'd much rather watch them than Juve!

Liverpool & Bayern are top 2, I'd say.

That might be true about City, but the same could be said about Atalanta in Serie A(obviously not including the Juve game), as at the tail end of the season, many sides don't have that much to play for. So that applies to both City and Atalanta. In any case, we are in the era of professional football, so even if sides don't have that much to play for, it's not as if they just lay down and die. It still takes a lot to thrash a Premier League team 5-0, even if they might not playing to their full potential.

Atalanta are an attacking side that are very enjoyable to watch, but there are several sides in Europe that equally fun to watch, Man City being one of them. One of the main reasons Atalanta are gaining a lot of the headlines is because they are not one of the so called "big boy clubs". Their brave attacking style of play has also helped gain them a lot of attention and popularity. We all like to see a relatively small club, punch above their weight and play the attractive football that we have seen from Atalanta this season. Indeed, they are very good going forward, but in all honesty, their defence has left a lot to be desired on many occasions this season.

We have to put things into perspective. I mean aside from getting thrashed 5-1 to Man City and 4-0 to Dinamo Zagreb in the CL this season, Atalanta have also lost to sides like SPAL, Bologna, Cagliari and Torino in Serie A this term. I'd say that Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Liverpool, Man City and PSG are all arguably stronger than Atalanta. For instance, Atalanta play much more attractive football than Atletico Madrid, but I know who my money would be on if they both met over two legs, it would be Atletico Madrid every time.

I'd be inclined to agree that Bayern and Liverpool are probably the best two teams in Europe right now. We can't overlook what Liverpool have achieved domestically this season and as for Bayern, well they are just a beast of a machine that seem to destroy every team in front of them. They are clearly my bet for this seasons Champions League, as I am convinced that they will win the treble come the 23rd of August.

Dries Mertens has given Napoli the lead against AC Milan against the run of play. Milan have been much more adventurous so far in this 2nd half. Pioli reacts to Mertens goal by taking off Ibrahimovic and bringing on Leao.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived