The better place to talk football.

Bournemouth 4-1 Leicester - Sunday 11th July, 2020

football forum

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 hours ago, Dan said:

I think your reactions are a good case of how much we've regressed. Can remember that Brighton game you were saying I was negative (which is totally fair enough by the way) and now this is you. This is in no way a dig at you either - I think it's just a good example of how bad we've turned, how quickly.

51 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

It could turn out that a spanking is better than a narrow defeat. You often get a reaction when someone's been thunped.

It'd be great to have a reaction on Thursday and thereafter but I can't see it happening. The way we've collapsed thanks to that half time decision is just an extension of our mentality in pressure games. Our form had been underwhelming to say the least since January but I always had faith in our players to see us over the line. There may be a reaction from individuals but as a team, I'm not so sure. And now we have some key players missing it's much harder. 

But when you have a manager making decisions like yesterday and not taking responsibility for his own actions because his ego gets in the way then that's a worrying sign. Diverting it to a player who wasn't even playing that bad is even worse. After that 9-0 in October, Hassenhuttl held his hands up and took all the blame. That's why you see a reaction from them. I can't see the same from us happening and even if we do finish 5/6/7th place, it'll be because we limped over the line and because other teams have been poor. Rodgers lost a lot of respect from me tonight after I'd defended him a lot up to now - obviously has to earn it back but fuck knows how he will. 

From the strong position we were in to where we find ourselves now is pathetic and embarrassing. Expected so much more following such a positive first half of the season. 

It's just funny how after a while away from England, the Brodge comes back and despite seemingly having improved overall, he shows the exact same tendencies as a manager.

He makes the team more dominant and creative, he improves young attacking players and even gets experienced players to show new facets to their games. There's an established system with one or two variations, and the team for the most part is flying. There are some weird signings and loans, and a slight flakiness in crunch games, but you're too busy looking at what the team is on course to achieve. 

Then, the momentum goes a bit. A big team gives you a battering or you come up short in some games you played ok in. Your more lofty ambitions get a reality check, but you're confident things will turn around if the team just keeps doing what it's doing

Then he tries a back 3. 

It obviously doesn't work. He maybe reverts to a back 4 midway through the game. "That was a short-lived experiment", you think.

Then he keeps trying it. 

There's full backs at centre back. There's midfielders playing wing-back on their weak foot. Some rando loan signing you had forgotten about starts getting more minutes and you wonder why he's there. The shape changes from game to game and frequently gets abandoned at half time. Mistakes go from funny to infuriating. 

The season limps to a finish and you start thinking fondly back on the days of doing something normal, like playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think you've calmed down as much as you think.

It's nowhere near as ridiculous a shout as it sounds. It's only a matter of time before one of these shocking runs has us in the mix and more alarmingly it's clear we're a very mentally fragile side. I said it after the Villa games but we are mentally fragile and if we let the others back into this we will collapse spectacularly, and we have done.

Combine this with Europa League (that was achieved on a downer) and our form in 2020 leaving us 17th in the table and you've got a worrying combination. We shouldn't drop but I refuse to rule it out.

Although I'm getting truly sick of this cycle now.

I don't think you can really blame our fans for being a bit extreme. It's all Leicester seem to be able to deliver.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

It's just funny how after a while away from England, the Brodge comes back and despite seemingly having improved overall, he shows the exact same tendencies as a manager.

He makes the team more dominant and creative, he improves young attacking players and even gets experienced players to show new facets to their games. There's an established system with one or two variations, and the team for the most part is flying. There are some weird signings and loans, and a slight flakiness in crunch games, but you're too busy looking at what the team is on course to achieve. 

Then, the momentum goes a bit. A big team gives you a battering or you come up short in some games you played ok in. Your more lofty ambitions get a reality check, but you're confident things will turn around if the team just keeps doing what it's doing

Then he tries a back 3. 

It obviously doesn't work. He maybe reverts to a back 4 midway through the game. "That was a short-lived experiment", you think.

Then he keeps trying it. 

There's full backs at centre back. There's midfielders playing wing-back on their weak foot. Some rando loan signing you had forgotten about starts getting more minutes and you wonder why he's there. The shape changes from game to game and frequently gets abandoned at half time. Mistakes go from funny to infuriating. 

The season limps to a finish and you start thinking fondly back on the days of doing something normal, like playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. 

Can't tell if this is based on anything that's happened at Liverpool or Celtic but pretty much every single one of these things has happened at Leicester, with an almost impressive level of detail.

He won't be here at Christmas. I'm sure of it now.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stan said:

It'd be great to have a reaction on Thursday and thereafter but I can't see it happening. The way we've collapsed thanks to that half time decision is just an extension of our mentality in pressure games. Our form had been underwhelming to say the least since January but I always had faith in our players to see us over the line. There may be a reaction from individuals but as a team, I'm not so sure. And now we have some key players missing it's much harder. 

But when you have a manager making decisions like yesterday and not taking responsibility for his own actions because his ego gets in the way then that's a worrying sign. Diverting it to a player who wasn't even playing that bad is even worse. After that 9-0 in October, Hassenhuttl held his hands up and took all the blame. That's why you see a reaction from them. I can't see the same from us happening and even if we do finish 5/6/7th place, it'll be because we limped over the line and because other teams have been poor. Rodgers lost a lot of respect from me tonight after I'd defended him a lot up to now - obviously has to earn it back but fuck knows how he will. 

From the strong position we were in to where we find ourselves now is pathetic and embarrassing. Expected so much more following such a positive first half of the season. 

I do think Iheanacho hadn't been great but not quite bad enough to be worthy of being subbed - especially given his role in the (working!!!!) system and the fact he still got an assist despite this. I just cannot fathom how Rodgers can watch that first half and feel like we needed to change things. Football is simple at times and he makes it very complicated.

Thursday doesn't even bare thinking about. No Soyuncu so we're stuck with only our slow centre back options. We're without quite a few players now and I feel like with his guessing by the game we're going to churn out something unbelievably bad. Even worse is that Sheffield United are currently everything we're not - organised, determined, inventive. The fact they've had their slump yet come back to thump Tottenham & Chelsea says a lot about them and the mentality of their team.

Rodgers throwing Iheanacho under the bus is fucking mental. Iheanacho is a confidence player who I feel like he really turned around, now I fear it's going to go back how it was before. For a manager who's strength is supposedly in his man management that was simply ridiculous.

I find this honestly unbelievable. How have we fucked it up THIS badly. It's so calamitous you have to laugh.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Can't tell if this is based on anything that's happened at Liverpool or Celtic but pretty much every single one of these things has happened at Leicester, with an almost impressive level of detail.

He won't be here at Christmas. I'm sure of it now.

Tried the 3 at the back at Liverpool when it started to go wrong. Worked for a little while but was found out after a couple of months. We then went on a horrendous run that ended with the 6-1 defeat at Stoke. An embarrassing semi final defeat to Aston Villa in there too. Can was played as a CB and Sterling and Markovic had spells as wing backs

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Tried the 3 at the back at Liverpool when it started to go wrong. Worked for a little while but was found out after a couple of months. We then went on a horrendous run that ended with the 6-1 defeat at Stoke. An embarrassing semi final defeat to Aston Villa in there too. Can was played as a CB and Sterling and Markovic had spells as wing backs

I feel like yesterday is our 6-1 at Stoke moment. I really think it was that scale of bad. You couldn't believe how bad Bournemouth were in the first half, they fell short of my incredibly low expectations for them, and we've somehow gone and lost 4-1 xD I'm almost impressed. It's a staggering level of ineptness.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Just watched the game on MOTD. Whilst not defending the defender, why was Wilson allowed to shove him into the netting and get away with it? Bournemouth had gone 2-1 up? Why was he so desperate for the ball? 

No idea. I wish Soyuncu kicked him harder at the time xD 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Just watched the game on MOTD. Whilst not defending the defender, why was Wilson allowed to shove him into the netting and get away with it? Bournemouth had gone 2-1 up? Why was he so desperate for the ball? 

Agree that Wilson should've been booked. Think there was another kick out from one of their players in the first half on Ndidi that went basically unnoticed as Ndidi didn't make a meal of it. Absolutely not defending Soyuncu though - total moron for that and is now out for the season. That incident above all has finished our season.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

I’m absolutely gonna have to back both Sheffield to win next game. Rodgers has entered his dickhead phase. 

You could get 16/5 after last night for Sheff Utd to win. Easy money.

The biggest thing from an outsider perspective is that without CL football there will surely trouble keeping some of the squad's better players, and then Leicester are left entrusting a crucial transfer window to serial squad-destroyer Lee Congerton.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Inverted said:

The biggest thing from an outsider perspective is that without CL football there will surely trouble keeping some of the squad's better players, and then Leicester are left entrusting a crucial transfer window to serial squad-destroyer Lee Congerton.

Yeah we're fucked if players like Pereira, Ndidi and Maddison go. 

Those first 2 will leave absolutely massive gaps in our team. Worries me how our recruitment will go. Generally it's good but I've not heard great stuff about Congerton, at all. Gone are the days of plucking out gems and now it feels like we'll be relying on cast-offs from other squads. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Dan said:

It's nowhere near as ridiculous a shout as it sounds. It's only a matter of time before one of these shocking runs has us in the mix and more alarmingly it's clear we're a very mentally fragile side. I said it after the Villa games but we are mentally fragile and if we let the others back into this we will collapse spectacularly, and we have done.

Combine this with Europa League (that was achieved on a downer) and our form in 2020 leaving us 17th in the table and you've got a worrying combination. We shouldn't drop but I refuse to rule it out.

Although I'm getting truly sick of this cycle now.

I don't think you can really blame our fans for being a bit extreme. It's all Leicester seem to be able to deliver.

From personal experience I can assure that in about 18 months you'll just be bored of it and won't care anymore. Embrace it when the time comes, it's much better for your mental health.

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

From personal experience I can assure that in about 18 months you'll just be bored of it and won't care anymore. Embrace it when the time comes, it's much better for your mental health.

To be honest I'm at a point where I'm getting slightly fed up with it all anyway. The VAR shambles that's dominated the league, not even likely being able to attend the Europa League games and then this Man City outcome today. It's all just a bit rotten. I definitely think my best days with football are well behind me.

Archived