talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jack Charlton Dies Aged 85

football forum

• Subscriber

Bloody hell, one of the greats of English & World football, R.I.P. Jackie, our thoughts go out to all the loved ones you left behind.

Edit: @Stan, Admin, Mods, I didn't know if this should be posted in here or the Leeds United thread, move & merg if you must.

Quote.thumb.png.a19d6e0149dc5217c63fe05ac1ec1611.png

World Cup Hero Jack Charlton Dies

Screen_Shot_2020-07-11_at_07.24.30.png?f

Jack Charlton, the former Leeds United centre half who helped England win the World Cup in 1966, has died at the age of 85.

Charlton had been diagnosed with lymphoma in the last year and was also battling dementia.

Big Jack – as he was affectionately known – spent his entire club career at Elland Road, and was an integral part of the team that rose from Second Division obscurity to become, under manager Don Revie, one of the premier club sides in Europe. His 629 League appearances and 762 competitive games for Leeds are both club records.

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2020-07-11/world-cup-hero-jack-charlton-dies

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Bloody hell, one of the greats of English & World football, R.I.P. Jackie, our thoughts go out to all the loved ones you left behind.

Edit: @Stan, Admin, Mods, I didn't know if this should be posted in here or the Leeds United thread, move & merg if you must.

Quote.thumb.png.a19d6e0149dc5217c63fe05ac1ec1611.png

World Cup Hero Jack Charlton Dies

Screen_Shot_2020-07-11_at_07.24.30.png?f

Jack Charlton, the former Leeds United centre half who helped England win the World Cup in 1966, has died at the age of 85.

Charlton had been diagnosed with lymphoma in the last year and was also battling dementia.

Big Jack – as he was affectionately known – spent his entire club career at Elland Road, and was an integral part of the team that rose from Second Division obscurity to become, under manager Don Revie, one of the premier club sides in Europe. His 629 League appearances and 762 competitive games for Leeds are both club records.

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2020-07-11/world-cup-hero-jack-charlton-dies

Very sad news, I only just read this online a few minutes ago. He was an English footballing legend and a member of our famous 1966 World Cup winning squad alongside his brother Bobby Charlton. Jack helped inspire the Republic of Ireland to become a real footballing force at international level, when he became their manager in the 80's. He was a real character and he will be greatly missed. 

R.I.P. Sir Jack Charlton

Not old enough to have seen him play or when he managed Newcastle. However his stories were a great listen.

Growing up he and his brother were a symbol in Northumberland and the North East that young lads in mining towns can become the greatest sport icons in the country. It's often forgot or unnoticed how big and important that was. Alan Shearer was regularly referred to as the sheet metal workers son. Footballers were male icons that taught a lesson of not letting your class hold you down in this world. It might seem somewhat daft because they were just footballers and probably not well paid but they were celebrities who left their little town and became a big noticeable part of England.

R.I.P

7 hours ago, SirBalon 69 said:

I didnt like him, he was a nasty man and very old fashioned,  what he did will never be forgotten! 

Signed up to a movement against the National Front and supported the miners, seems alright to me.

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

Signed up to a movement against the National Front and supported the miners, seems alright to me.

Panna King is weird so I'd take whatever he says with a pinch of salt.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Oh is that him. Genuinely thought it was Sir Balon with a new account or somethingxD

The posts are far too short for it to be SB!

Archived