talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dejan Lovren - Zenit Complete Deal

football forum

• The title was changed to Dejan Lovren - Zenit Linked With Liverpool Defender
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's on a ridiculous weekly wage for our 4th best CB. I'm with @Harry on this - time to move him on.

Yeah, as fourth choice centre halves go he's not bad but it's his unpredictability that lets him down. I recall him being very good against City at Anfield for example but then look what a nightmare he had at Watford. He can't just be a 6 or 7 out of 10 can he?

14 hours ago, Rick said:

It’s good money for him. 

Maybe in a post-covid world... but if we’re using recent sales as a guideline... I’m not so sure it’s a good signing considering what we got for Ibe, Solanke, and Ward. This seems more like a “fair” price, because while Lovren’s not the greatest (he’s 4th choice for a reason) he’s a hell of a lot more proven than them.

57 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Maybe in a post-covid world... but if we’re using recent sales as a guideline... I’m not so sure it’s a good signing considering what we got for Ibe, Solanke, and Ward. This seems more like a “fair” price, because while Lovren’s not the greatest (he’s 4th choice for a reason) he’s a hell of a lot more proven than them.

They all went to Premier League clubs. You're always going to have to accept less if they're not going to a top tier league. Considering that, his age, and his injury record, I think it's a good price for us.

Been better for us than his reputation suggests has Lovren. The mistakes can't be ignored, nor can his failure to learn from them, but he's had some good games for us, been a part of some great moments including playing a major role in getting to our first two European finals under Klopp, and generally accepted his spot as fourth choice behind Gomez and Matip. It's the right time for him to go, but I'm disappointed with some of the stick he's getting on social media.

• The title was changed to Dejan Lovren - Zenit Complete Deal

Towards the end he was a liability in our defence. Every player who isn’t absolute top tier has flaws, and teams would take advantage of Lovren’s when he played. He’s been an excellent servant to the club though, had some absolutely massive games for us (his best for me was the second leg vs Dortmund) he’s also a brilliant person to be in the squad and all, and it’s a shame to lose a personality like that. I’ve been frustrated with him at time, but I absolutely do wish him all the best. He’s a good guy and I’m sure he will be excellent in Russia. 

Now we desperately need CB cover. Matip is made of glass and I don’t like Fabinho there. 

A hard player to wrap your head around because he seemingly has all the qualities of a dependable CB - mobile, strong, solid in the air, a good one-on-one defender, not bad in possession.

But either out of overconfidence or insecurity, at Liverpool he seemed constantly determined to prove something. I think that led to him constantly over-committing and leaving him prone to rash mistakes, which could have been the difference between his iffy concentration and judgement maybe just being a slight issue, and it being a consistently match-changing problem, as it turned out to be.

6 hours ago, Inverted said:

A hard player to wrap your head around because he seemingly has all the qualities of a dependable CB - mobile, strong, solid in the air, a good one-on-one defender, not bad in possession.

But either out of overconfidence or insecurity, at Liverpool he seemed constantly determined to prove something. I think that led to him constantly over-committing and leaving him prone to rash mistakes, which could have been the difference between his iffy concentration and judgement maybe just being a slight issue, and it being a consistently match-changing problem, as it turned out to be.

He'd very irritatingly play well for a few games, then run his mouth about how good he was playing... and then promptly put in a shocking performance where he'd be appallingly bad. But he was always capable of putting in top performances as well as performances that were embarrassing. Like a less extreme version of David Silva tbh. He'd also have issues with staying fit/not getting ill. I don't think he's ever played more than 9 games in a row for us after 6 years here.

He scored an unforgettable goal against Dortmund and in the CL final where we lost... he put in a pretty great performance tbh, not his fault Karius made 2 bad errors and Bale scored the best ever goal in a CL final. And he gets to leave us on a high note despite being surplus to requirements (due to his wages, more than his quality as a 4th choice CB - but those wages for someone who barely plays... not good).

Matip's actually featured in less games than Lovren did this season, though, so @Rick is right - we do want to be getting another CB in now. And I think with how injury prone Matip is, and with Gomez's own bad luck with injuries (although shite like bone breaking is better than reoccurring muscle injuries like Matip)... we should be looking to bring in someone that'll probably be 3rd choice CB and that can compete with Gomez for the starting spot.

Archived