talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 1-0 Norwich - Tuesday 14th July, 2020

football forum

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Jorginho isn't typically rated at all, and Kante doesn't play instead of Jorginho. 

Well he is rated by some people, definitely not by me and when Kante plays, he usually plays in the same central midfield position that Jorginho is playing in today.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Michael said:

Well he is rated by some people, definitely not by me and when Kante plays, he usually plays in the same central midfield position that Jorginho is playing in today.

Kante does not play in the same position. Kante plays further forwards in place of either (today's players) Kovacic or Loftus-Cheek.

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

Mate, no he hasn't. 

21 minutes ago, Michael said:

Jorginho is one of the most overrated midfielders in the league in my opinion. Chelsea are much stronger team when Kante plays instead of him. Unfortunately for Chelsea, Kante has struggled with injuries in recent times. 

Chelsea are the team under pressure in this game. Norwich City are for the first time this season, under no real pressure, which may be to their benefit.

After watching him now for two seasons, I've come to the conclusion that he's inconsistent. He can look class on his day or bang average. Tonight I've got no time for him, he's playing like it's a pre-season friendly and he's in the team for one particular purpose, if he doesn't offer that or he's not on his game, he's useless. I have to say I sympathise now with @The Liquidator views on him and would happily see the back of him come the end of the season particularly if there's a team willing to pay decent money.

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Kante is a special player. Its surely down to the manager not getting the best out of him/not using him in his best position?

It wasn't long ago Kante was regarded as one of the best in the world in his position!

Is or was? 

3 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

After watching him now for two seasons, I've come to the conclusion that he's inconsistent. He can look class on his day or bang average. Tonight I've got no time for him, he's playing like it's a pre-season friendly and he's in the team for one particular purpose, if he doesn't offer that or he's not on his game, he's useless. I have to say I sympathise now with @The Liquidator views on him and would happily see the back of him come the end of the season particularly if there's a team willing to pay decent money.

Is it just Jorginho or the entire team that is playing in molasses? Most players are useless when not on their game, mate...because they are not on their game!

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

You used to wank furiously over Kante?

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Well he can't have turned to shit within 18 months surely?

No one is saying he's suddenly turned shit. We've gone from conservative football under Conte, where Kante shined,  to progressive football under Sarri and Lampard, where Kante looks out of place. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well he can't have turned to shit within 18 months surely?

Well I don't think he is shit and I didn't say so but he is a lot older now and has been injured a lot. I don't expect a player that relies on huge amounts of athleticism to last forever. Players can disappear quickly, you know this. You saw it happen with Miachel Owen and Fernando Torres. I wouldn't sell him but I'm not expecting him to forever be that player he was.

3 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

I've never really rated him, against the best sides, he has always seemed out of his depth. A wealthy and prestigious side like Chelsea, can do much better than have a player like him in their midfield.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

No one is saying he's suddenly turned shit. We've gone from conservative football under Conte, where Kante shined,  to progressive football under Sarri and Lampard, where Kante looks out of place. 

Leicester won the league playing great football and Kante was at the heart of that? He then shone for Chelsea when he signed. 

Must be a reason Chelsea fans have turned against him?

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Leicester won the league playing great football and Kante was at the heart of that? He then shone for Chelsea when he signed. 

Must be a reason Chelsea fans have turned against him?

Who has turned on Kante?

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Why's he look out of place in a more progressive setup though? I find it strange, a few years ago I remember thinking having a player like Kante in a high pressing team would be incredible because he would be all over the fucking pitch like a madman. At his best he was phenomenal at being so relentless it was like having an extra man in midfield.

I know he's had a few injuries... which as @Spike said, will impact how good a player that relies on their athleticism.

I don't buy the idea that Kante is awkward in Lampard's system. I just think his legs are starting to go with age and injuries. All players have to adapt to change, Roy Keane changed when his legs went out from under him, hopefully Kante can do the same. He has played a lot of games in the last few years, including international tournaments; I think burnout isn't unreasonable. Maybe more careful managing with his fitness will lead to consistent results. I remember Rio Ferdinand had this issue under David Moyes. During the twilight years Fergie would only play Ferdinand when necessary but Moyes started him every match till injuries stopped that.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I don't buy the idea that Kante is awkward in Lampard's system. I just think his legs are starting to go with age and injuries. All players have to adapt to change, Roy Keane changed when his legs went out from under him, hopefully Kante can do the same. He has played a lot of games in the last few years, including international tournaments; I think burnout isn't unreasonable. Maybe more careful managing with his fitness will lead to consistent results. I remember Rio Ferdinand had this issue under David Moyes. During the twilight years Fergie would only play Ferdinand when necessary but Moyes started him every match till injuries stopped that.

I think that's the most reasonable take, and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit burned out and having a real rest and then a real pre-season might lead us to see a revitalised Kante.

My only criticism of Jorginho is that he can't create space and when there isnt' any passing lanes he just recycles possession leaving him vulnerable to pressing; especially since he offers himself as an option for every pass. But if a player has room to move on the counter-attack, or a defender has pressed high; that creates huge room for passing through veritcal spaces and that is when he shines, though it still requires a player to make a run into space or another to force a dummy run. The guy has an unreal passing range and will put the ball down with supreme accuracy. 

• Administrator

Proper bore-fest. Expected more even if Norwich were already down.

I guess it's 3 points for Chelsea and that's all that matters given the circumstances for that top 4 challenge. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Proper bore-fest. Expected more even if Norwich were already down.

I guess it's 3 points for Chelsea and that's all that matters given the circumstances for that top 4 challenge. 

Could be a case of the team being told to half-arse the game in preperation for a more difficult match against Man Utd. 

51 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Why's he look out of place in a more progressive setup though? I find it strange, a few years ago I remember thinking having a player like Kante in a high pressing team would be incredible because he would be all over the fucking pitch like a madman. At his best he was phenomenal at being so relentless it was like having an extra man in midfield.

I know he's had a few injuries... which as @Spike said, will impact how good a player that relies on their athleticism.

Kante's best attributes are highlighted when we are off the ball. Since Sarri, we have seen far more of it. Now under Lampard, our play is much more direct compared to Sarri's and Kante's limitations in the final third hurt us when we are against sides that are hard to breakdown.  Now Lampard wants to try him at DM when it isn't even his natural position. If Lampard wants a DM, he should buy a DM. I've mentioned more than once that Kante should be use sparingly. Particularly against elite opposition. 

MOTM has to be either Dave of Willian. Worked their bollocks off.

• The title was changed to Chelsea 1-0 Norwich - Tuesday 14th July, 2020
33 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Kante's best attributes are highlighted when we are off the ball. Since Sarri, we have seen far more of it. Now under Lampard, our play is much more direct compared to Sarri's and Kante's limitations in the final third hurt us when we are against sides that are hard to breakdown.  Now Lampard wants to try him at DM when it isn't even his natural position. If Lampard wants a DM, he should buy a DM. I've mentioned more than once that Kante should be use sparingly. Particularly against elite opposition. 

MOTM has to be either Dave of Willian. Worked their bollocks off.

End of the day, the two managers that used him correctly won the league. The two who didn't won fuck all. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived