talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool - Wednesday 15th July, 2020

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, SirBalon 69 said:

I know we won, but its embarrassing how we played at home, only 2 shots on target which resulted in goals by huge mistakes.  We are just crap, it was like a championship team holding on in the end at home in a cup game to Liverpool.   We always used to give anyone a good game at home no matter who, times have changed and I thought Arteta's tactical change in the 2nd half was extremely poor. Its quite shocking that Arteta has a worse record than Emery already this season.

Arteta won the game. You can't expect to take the game to Liverpool with a midfield of Xhaka and Ceballos, a slow defence and a smattering of young wingers. Wenger in particular made a habit of losing these games with a whimper against better equipped sides in his later years by trying to "give them a good game". You should be thankful to have a manager that knows the strengths and limits of the team at his disposal. Like it or not, Arsenal are lightyears behind Liverpool at the moment and stretching the game or taking risks in any way when you've been gifted the lead is the one surefire way of losing your advantage against a team like them.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RandoEFC said:

Arteta won the game. You can't expect to take the game to Liverpool with a midfield of Xhaka and Ceballos, a slow defence and a smattering of young wingers. Wenger in particular made a habit of losing these games with a whimper against better equipped sides in his later years by trying to "give them a good game". You should be thankful to have a manager that knows the strengths and limits of the team at his disposal. Like it or not, Arsenal are lightyears behind Liverpool at the moment and stretching the game or taking risks in any way when you've been gifted the lead is the one surefire way of losing your advantage against a team like them.

Wenger was crap away from home setting up a team but at least at Home we use to have a go at anyone.   Yeah the Arsenal squad is shit, probably one of the worst for years, so I see what happens next season who comes in and out of the squad.

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He also constantly said Karius would remain our number one goalkeeper after the CL final. 

Then we signed Allison.

Just chill ffs. Surely he has earned your trust by now?

You’re naive to think Klopp doesn’t want to strengthen this squad. Unfortunately, even Klopp doesn’t get what he wants all the time. The club gave him Allison & Van Dijk and I think they are very very reluctant to spend for a while. Even if it is absolutely in our best interest to do so. 

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

You’re naive to think Klopp doesn’t want to strengthen this squad. Unfortunately, even Klopp doesn’t get what he wants all the time. The club gave him Allison & Van Dijk and I think they are very very reluctant to spend for a while. Even if it is absolutely in our best interest to do so. 

You do realise that had Liverpool signed Werner on the wages Chelsea offered him, he would have become our top earner? Above Salah, Mane, VVD etc? Never going to happen for a player that wasnt even guaranteed to be a regular starter like he was at Chelsea.

Think about it? 

Just signing the best players isn't easy when you have a first 14/15 that have basically just won everything. 

I think you're the naive one mate.

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nobody said that though

Exactly. Obviosly Klopp would fit him somewhere, probably offering Werner around 20 league starts a season, which probably wouldn't excite a player that is aiming to be elite. Then Klopp would have to explain to possibly the best front 3 in world football that game time would be taken from them to accommodate. 

On top of that, Klopp would then have to explain to a front 3 that have just won everything that this new player (who has basically won nothing) brought in to rotate would be the highest earner at the club.

As I said, never going to happen. Naive to think signings like this are so easy.

35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Ignore him. He's a toxic fan 

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nobody said that though

No but somebody did say that Salah, Mane and Firminho aren’t gunna sit on the bench for him....which doesn’t matter cos they could fit Werner into that team but obviously they don’t have the money 

BTW, I'm not for one minute saying we shouldn't buy anyone ever again. I'm just saying that Klopp and Edwards aren't stupid and will most definitely have some sort of plan mapped out for the future of the club. 

Let's just wait and see what that plan is.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

No but somebody did say that Salah, Mane and Firminho aren’t gunna sit on the bench for him....which doesn’t matter cos they could fit Werner into that team but obviously they don’t have the money 

Never going to make a rotational player the highest earner at the club, as well as spending £60m on him. As soon as Chelsea offered him a regular starting position on £170k a week it was all over. 

21 minutes ago, Danny said:

That doesn't make sense, Klopp wouldn't play with four strikers like that. One player will have to sit out.

17 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Never going to make a rotational player the highest earner at the club, as well as spending £60m on him. As soon as Chelsea offered him a regular starting position on £170k a week it was all over. 

Even if he was going to be a nailed on starter that means Firmino or another player is on the bench. Liverpool would be much smarter buying a player like Giroud that can play ever other game, but they already have that in Origi. I reckon if they nicked another elite CB they'd be set for a long time. The forward group is stacked for Liverpool but I reckon more depth players would never hurt. 

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I think Balon's point is correct though, it was absolutely shameless what we did yesterday. All well and good being compact and smart but we literally didn't even attempt to attack. Didn't even try to counter just kept giving them the ball over and over, it was tough to watch. 

I get it we got the win fair enough and we all understand that Liverpool are better than us, but watching us play like that at home just didn't sit right. 

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Nobody said that though

It’s been implied. As if Werner is gonna come in a be getting ten mins here and there like Origi does. Our first 11 is great, but they aren’t untouchable. Everybody should constantly have to be proving themselves for their position. 

We need another attacking option, a creative midfield player, a centre back & lb cover ideally...but we won’t sign anybody. 

26 minutes ago, Rick said:

It’s been implied. As if Werner is gonna come in a be getting ten mins here and there like Origi does. Our first 11 is great, but they aren’t untouchable. Everybody should constantly have to be proving themselves for their position. 

We need another attacking option, a creative midfield player, a centre back & lb cover ideally...but we won’t sign anybody. 

If Klopp is alright with it then so should we. The exact same conversations were taking place 12 months ago

23 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

If Klopp is alright with it then so should we. The exact same conversations were taking place 12 months ago

You really think Klopp is alright with 4 windows of no strengthening? 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I think Balon's point is correct though, it was absolutely shameless what we did yesterday. All well and good being compact and smart but we literally didn't even attempt to attack. Didn't even try to counter just kept giving them the ball over and over, it was tough to watch. 

I get it we got the win fair enough and we all understand that Liverpool are better than us, but watching us play like that at home just didn't sit right. 

I think it's okay to be shameless with a squad you've inherited. If he's doing that in 2-3 years' time after building his own team then it's a valid complaint but I don't see how anyone can look at Arteta's coaching background and think that's what he's going to try to do.

You can’t fault Arteta for last night. Considering he left some important players on the bench then you have to commend the job done. Complete shithouse performance, but when you’re gifted it on a plate you’d be a div not to take it. 

10 minutes ago, Rick said:

You really think Klopp is alright with 4 windows of no strengthening? 

I think people forget that we signed in January. Just because it wasn't £50m spent it doesn't mean Minamino won't make an impact once he's settled.

Do people realise what dickheads they look, moaning about no signings when they were doing the exact same thing last summer and the team have completely blown the rest of league away?

9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think people forget that we signed in January. Just because it wasn't £50m spent it doesn't mean Minamino won't make an impact once he's settled.

Do people realise what dickheads they look, moaning about no signings when they were doing the exact same thing last summer and the team have completely blown the rest of league away?

Let’s be really honest here. The gap being this big is a mix of us being great but really helped by City and many others just not being at the races. We performed better as a team last season, this season we slowed down and a lot of games have been a slog. 

Our record in the 13 games since that Atlético defeat reads like this; 5W, 2D, 6L. I don’t think I’m a “dickhead” for seeing the signs of this team slowing down. 

City going to strengthen, Chelsea already have, Man Utd will and the likes of Spurs & Arsenal will no doubt bring in new faces. I would be stunned if we retain this title, stunned.

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

Let’s be really honest here. The gap being this big is a mix of us being great but really helped by City and many others just not being at the races. We performed better as a team last season, this season we slowed down and a lot of games have been a slog. 

Our record in the 13 games since that Atlético defeat reads like this; 5W, 2D, 6L. I don’t think I’m a “dickhead” for seeing the signs of this team slowing down. 

City going to strengthen, Chelsea already have, Man Utd will and the likes of Spurs & Arsenal will no doubt bring in new faces. I would be stunned if we retain this title, stunned.

We've slowed down once it was basically job done, yeah. 

I don't think we necessarily performed better last season, pretty similar really. Outstanding levels of consistency. I bet you weren't saying any of this in the middle of the 18 game winning run (or whatever it was), that it was 'a slog'. 

You've not enjoyed any of this title win, have you? xD Cryarsing about winning it when we weren't playing and now cryarsing that it's been 'a slog'.

Nah, I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly. But I’m not blind as a fucking bat and realise that standing still while everybody else strengthens isn’t the best idea.

You can be as happy as you want watching Origi and Shaq bob about doing next to fuck all most the time, but I want more. Seen so many false dawns with this football club that I don’t want us to throw away this golden opportunity. Sick of being told that I’m ungrateful for wanting the club to build on our success. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived