• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Leicester 2-0 Sheff Utd - Thursday 16th July, 2020

Recommended Posts

Kick-off 18.00

Live on Sky Sports/PICK

image.png      VS     220px-Sheffield_United_FC_logo.svg.png

Head to Head
Leicester - 32
Draws - 32
Sheff Utd - 31

Reverse Fixture
Sheff Utd 1-2 Leicester

Recent Form
Leicester - LLWDL
Sheff Utd - LWDWW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dan everything points to a Sheff Utd convincing win.

@Dr. Gonzo especially so for your love of symmetry in that H2H xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By some miracle we actually still have this in our hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stan said:

@Dan everything points to a Sheff Utd convincing win.

@Dr. Gonzo especially so for your love of symmetry in that H2H xD 

I’m not enjoying Rodgers proving me right about him because a United will benefit. Fuck symmetry, go win and fuck United over

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Sorry but this has really fucked me off as well. He is genuinely a bottlejob isn't he?

Rodgers is a good coach but you need a ruthless streak to be a winner. He lacks it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Going to be awkward for you when the season finishes and you're in the top 4 :ph34r:

In what way?

If we make it, we've done it with a whimper, when it should have been at a canter given the lead and comfortability we'd built up in first half of the season.

The 2nd half of the season ahs been somewhat underwhelming to say the least. I don't know if it's the pressure getting to Rodgers which is causing him to make these weird decisions and ridiculous comments. Or if it's some kind of weird reverse psychology to make the players step up and be counted. But there's a time and a place. It's almost accepting that results against like that against Bournemouth is fine. When it's not. Just a bit weird from him and needs to be sending out better and more positive messages. 

It's a bit defeatist to be quite honest. From where we were to where we are now is not acceptable and you'd expect and want to see a reaction on Thursday and beyond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Going to be awkward for you when the season finishes and you're in the top 4 :ph34r:

I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.

Can't see it though. We'll likely lose all three and finish either 5th or 6th - which nobody in the right mind would've turned down in August, but nobody in the right mind would've accepted in January. Add in two poor cup exits, one frankly awful, and I really think we're on a downward spiral - admittedly from a very impressive high.

People don't react to league positions, they react to trajectories, nowhere near enough seem to get that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dan said:

 

Sorry but this has really fucked me off as well. He is genuinely a bottlejob isn't he?

Rodgers is a good coach but you need a ruthless streak to be a winner. He lacks it.

Wait til you start consistently playing like shit and like a side that has no character whatsoever and he'll keep saying "THE LADS SHOWED SO MUCH CHARACTER" week in, week out. 

It's been weird seeing him go from a good manager to the manager he was around the end of his time with us... all in one season. Sort of like Mourinho going immediately to season 3 Mourinho at Spurs.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wait til you start consistently playing like shit and like a side that has no character whatsoever and he'll keep saying "THE LADS SHOWED SO MUCH CHARACTER" week in, week out. 

It's been weird seeing him go from a good manager to the manager he was around the end of his time with us... all in one season. Sort of like Mourinho going immediately to season 3 Mourinho at Spurs.

I can see it now.

It's Vardy's final game away at a dross side like West Ham. Everyone is geared up to give him a good send-off and celebrate a record-breaking and magnificent PL career at Leicester.

We're 5-0 down at half time and he scores a penalty in the 2nd half and it's a fucking nightmare.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stan said:

I can see it now.

It's Vardy's final game away at a dross side like West Ham. Everyone is geared up to give him a good send-off and celebrate a record-breaking and magnificent PL career at Leicester.

We're 5-0 down at half time and he scores a penalty in the 2nd half and it's a fucking nightmare.

For your sake and for Vardy's sake... I hope not. That was a truly awful day at Stoke and the worst way to cap off a miserable season and a farewell to a legend I loved. Honestly should have been Rodgers' last match for that... although in hindsight, I'm glad we waited for Klopp.

It's weird because I thought he'd learned from mistakes he made with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stan said:

In what way?

it would be awkward to celebrate and be wrong after some of these screams of disaster and impending doom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

it would be awkward to celebrate and be wrong after some of these screams of disaster and impending doom

We were 14 points clear of 5th in January, have just lost 4-1 at one of the worst PL sides I've seen and are 17th in a 2020 form table. We also go into a very tricky last three games with loads of players missing and confidence on the floor, with the manager waving the white flag.

I'm sorry, anybody would be negative at this imminent capitulation. It's natural. If we're wrong then fantastic - that changes everything again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying whether your reactions are right or wrong. Simply observing. It's not as black and white as you're either negative or you're positive.

Even when you win 3 or 4 nil there's always a post from one or both of you just before the game saying how you're going to lose, how everything is a disaster. Negativity has consumed you to the point of your pre-game radar being a stopped clock. Now the stopped clock got one right the kettle is whistling.

At first I thought being extra was a coping mechanism of sorts, preparing yourselves for the worst out of nerves. Say you'll lose then psychologically you're prepared and actually have nothing to lose. But in fact doing so looks to have fuelled enormous anger. Now I wonder if you're even remotely nervous at this stage or if you're letting anger determine the entire experience? Anger can feel good so it is easy to get swept up in.

It sounds like you've fallen out of love with your own team. Perpetually ready to flip at any moment. Thus it's awkward if you do make the Champions League because so much has been set alight in the last month to jump from that to fantastic would be quite a contradiction of experience. We've all been livid at our team at half time and then bouncing at full time and vice versa, but to see this on a longer time frame than 90 minutes, to see this when there's time to breath between games, time to become a bit more rational and objective, that would be unchartered territory. Some parts of this might be natural, normal, regular for all but holistically it's probably not, we're looking through the looking glass at your experience and this is what is observed.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

I'm not saying whether your reactions are right or wrong. Simply observing. It's not as black and white as you're either negative or you're positive.

Even when you win 3 or 4 nil there's always a post from one or both of you just before the game saying how you're going to lose, how everything is a disaster. Negativity has consumed you to the point of your pre-game radar being a stopped clock. Now the stopped clock got one right the kettle is whistling.

At first I thought being extra was a coping mechanism of sorts, preparing yourselves for the worst out of nerves. Say you'll lose then psychologically you're prepared and actually have nothing to lose. But in fact doing so looks to have fuelled enormous anger. Now I wonder if you're even remotely nervous at this stage or if you're letting anger determine the entire experience? Anger can feel good so it is easy to get swept up in.

It sounds like you've fallen out of love with your own team. Perpetually ready to flip at any moment. Thus it's awkward if you do make the Champions League because so much has been set alight in the last month to jump from that to fantastic would be quite a contradiction of experience. We've all been livid at our team at half time and then bouncing at full time and vice versa, but to see this on a longer time frame than 90 minutes, to see this when there's time to breath between games, time to become a bit more rational and objective, that would be unchartered territory. Some parts of this might be natural, normal, regular for all but holistically it's probably not, we're looking through the looking glass at your experience and this is what is observed.

It’s unnatural to be writing posts like this pre 7am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I'm not saying whether your reactions are right or wrong. Simply observing. It's not as black and white as you're either negative or you're positive.

Even when you win 3 or 4 nil there's always a post from one or both of you just before the game saying how you're going to lose, how everything is a disaster. Negativity has consumed you to the point of your pre-game radar being a stopped clock. Now the stopped clock got one right the kettle is whistling.

At first I thought being extra was a coping mechanism of sorts, preparing yourselves for the worst out of nerves. Say you'll lose then psychologically you're prepared and actually have nothing to lose. But in fact doing so looks to have fuelled enormous anger. Now I wonder if you're even remotely nervous at this stage or if you're letting anger determine the entire experience? Anger can feel good so it is easy to get swept up in.

It sounds like you've fallen out of love with your own team. Perpetually ready to flip at any moment. Thus it's awkward if you do make the Champions League because so much has been set alight in the last month to jump from that to fantastic would be quite a contradiction of experience. We've all been livid at our team at half time and then bouncing at full time and vice versa, but to see this on a longer time frame than 90 minutes, to see this when there's time to breath between games, time to become a bit more rational and objective, that would be unchartered territory. Some parts of this might be natural, normal, regular for all but holistically it's probably not, we're looking through the looking glass at your experience and this is what is observed.

Fair.

Don't lump me in with Desperate @Dan though :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I'm not saying whether your reactions are right or wrong. Simply observing. It's not as black and white as you're either negative or you're positive.

Even when you win 3 or 4 nil there's always a post from one or both of you just before the game saying how you're going to lose, how everything is a disaster. Negativity has consumed you to the point of your pre-game radar being a stopped clock. Now the stopped clock got one right the kettle is whistling.

At first I thought being extra was a coping mechanism of sorts, preparing yourselves for the worst out of nerves. Say you'll lose then psychologically you're prepared and actually have nothing to lose. But in fact doing so looks to have fuelled enormous anger. Now I wonder if you're even remotely nervous at this stage or if you're letting anger determine the entire experience? Anger can feel good so it is easy to get swept up in.

It sounds like you've fallen out of love with your own team. Perpetually ready to flip at any moment. Thus it's awkward if you do make the Champions League because so much has been set alight in the last month to jump from that to fantastic would be quite a contradiction of experience. We've all been livid at our team at half time and then bouncing at full time and vice versa, but to see this on a longer time frame than 90 minutes, to see this when there's time to breath between games, time to become a bit more rational and objective, that would be unchartered territory. Some parts of this might be natural, normal, regular for all but holistically it's probably not, we're looking through the looking glass at your experience and this is what is observed.

To me I think it's just gut instinct having seen us quite routinely go to pieces when the chips are down. I really think losing to Aston Villa side we've thrashed twice in the league over two legs has psychologically damaged both the team and the fans.

I also made this point somewhere (in this thread, or maybe not even on this forum) but I really think Leicester are quite an anomaly, and therefore will produce relatively irrational reactions at times from the fans if you're so invested in it. We only ever seem to deal in extremes. This is a team who literally won a game 9-0 this season, add to that a 5-0 win, a 4-0 win, two 4-1 wins, two 3-0 wins - genuinely brilliant wins for someone like us at this level, who now seem scared to even attack.

Our form in 2019 of this season put us 2nd in the table, above Manchester City and only behind an extraordinary good Liverpool side. Our form in 2020 puts us 14th, below Watford, including defeats at Norwich & Bournemouth, just 3 ahead of that Bournemouth side with nearly the exact same squad of players - I think such a drop off is only going to bring about quite angry reactions.

It is important to remember this is still likely to be one of our best seasons in a long time, but the flat nature of how the season has fizzled out worries me going into next year. It's worth remembering how well we finished in 2014/15 which felt almost like the opposite to this season, and we carried that into next season and produced the unthinkable. It is very likely this continues into next season - even more so given we've already had the 3 months off to address our issues which if anything look to have gotten even worse.

I probably do come across as extremely ungrateful at times but I think fans react to trajectories rather than league positions - hence why I will moan now despite being 4th, and probably didn't moan in the slightest in March 2017 when we were about 17th after we were obviously improving. We do deal in extremes though. We're an anomaly.

I do think it probably doesn't help not being at the games. Inside the ground I'm the total opposite, full of vocal support throughout, I just save the moaning for the forums really xD

Edited by Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If those Southampton and Burnley last gasp equalisers don't give us a shot in the arm, I really don't know what will.

Please just get the job done. I don't care how.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well here we are, I've let myself fall into it again. I'm really just hoping that Sunday was so bad that it can only provoke a reaction.

Do something we haven't done all season and really turn up when it matters. PLEASE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Well here we are, I've let myself fall into it again. I'm really just hoping that Sunday was so bad that it can only provoke a reaction.

Do something we haven't done all season and really turn up when it matters. PLEASE.

Another chance gifted to us with results since Sunday, as well. Wolves drop points, Man Utd dropped points. 

Win today and it guarantees 5th spot. Simple as that. If that's not motivation enough for the squad then I don't know what is, given the circumstances. I'd be somewhat satisfied with that (all things considered, let's face it). 

I think we'll line up like this:

Kasper

Justin - Morgan - Evans - Fuchs

Ndidi

Gray - Tielemans - Barnes

Iheanacho - Vardy

I can't see Sheff Utd not scoring given their efficiency and organisation in their formation. Just hope we have some attacking threat about us and that kind of formation would give us. Maybe catch them on the break down the wing as their full-backs love to get forward and overlap. 

Knowing Rodgers, he'll probably start Ndidi & Hamza and go with 1 striker.  After Sunday's disgusting decision to take Kelechi off, I pray he starts him so that we don't end up going 1 attacker at home again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out it's 3-5-2 with some new faces (our absent list is growing and growing).

Rodgers has dropped Kelechi, back on the bench sadly. Thought he should be back in.

Thomas, Hirst, Johnson all from the academy. Good to see them but what a day to be included, in a very important must-win game!

Kasper

Bennett - Morgan - Evans

Justin                                  Thomas

Ndidi

Tielemans - Barnes

Perez - Vardy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is just such a big gamble. Sometimes though the deep end is where you'll find out if they sink or swim.

We've kind of been backed into this. This could be very interesting.

Everything crossed. This is massive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's better this. Perez should score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice pass from Luke to Perez. Leicester are up one now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on Leicester City, they deserve the lead considering the amount of control they have had so far. It was a decent strike from Ayoze Perez with the nice control and shot into the corner of the net. Lets hope that Leicester City don't squander this lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is our best half since the restart, easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brendan, don't do anything silly, this is far better - a real demonstration of what we can do on our day.

Tielemans has been excellent and Thomas has had a really good first half.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is much better. More purpose and control about us. Barnes, Justin and Thomas doing well. The latter especially considering it's his debut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement